Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mainstream/Contemporary/Literary
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Troyen
practical experience, FTW

Troyen is on a distinguished road
Genre... still not sure where my novel fits

Reading the tread about what the difference is with mainstream, contemporary or literary was very helpful. But I am still not sure where my book fits in. I am hoping someone here can help me. My novel involves the issue of child abuse, but it is ultimately a story about the MC's process of healing from the scars of her past while helping a young girl to face hers. At the moment the best comparison I can think of is that it is a little like a Pat Conroy novel. I hope someone can help me.
Troyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
ryanswofford
figuring it all out

ryanswofford is on a distinguished road
That would be a literary novel, moreso than a contemporary novel. It sounds like a few great titles I've read! Good luck.
ryanswofford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
tanyadavies
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

tanyadavies is on a distinguished road
I'm currently querying a book dealing with similar issues and class mine as literary but that is as much to do with the style /feel of my writing - I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyen View Post
Reading the tread about what the difference is with mainstream, contemporary or literary was very helpful.
I'd be interested to get direction to this thread if you are able. Thanks and best of luck.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
owlish
Moon Safari

owlish is on a distinguished road
Going to third the "literary" genre.

owlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
gettingby

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think anyone can just say it is literary without seeing your work. Well, I guess some people have here. But, really, does it matter?
gettingby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to behold
I matters when pitching to an agent or editor. And whether it is literary or "mainstream fiction" or possibly "women's fiction" depends on the tone of the writing. Ask yourself this...how much do you concentrate on making the writing "beautiful" and being philosophical and deep. If you do those things then it is probably literary. (If you've done them very well) If on the other hand you have concentrated more on plot and story telling and drama then it is more commercial. Since your characters are female you could pitch it as women's fiction and there are plenty of agents around looking for more women's fiction.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
gettingby

I have to disagree. I don't think it matters when querying an agent or publisher. Let them make the call as to what they want to market it as. I never specified when I was sending out my novel and no one ever said is it mainstream or contemporary or literary? We must know.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
I have to disagree. I don't think it matters when querying an agent or publisher. Let them make the call as to what they want to market it as. I never specified when I was sending out my novel and no one ever said is it mainstream or contemporary or literary? We must know.
And just out of curiosity, what were the results of those queries? Not trying to pick a fight or anything, I'm honestly curious if you've gotten good response or not (for all I know, you're a mega-bestseller). Anyway, one of the biggest complaints I've seen agents gripe about in interviews is receiving queries for genres they don't represent. If you don't know your own genre, how are you going to pick the right agents to query?

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
gettingby

Most literary agents represent both literary and mainstream works. Genre really only comes into play if you are actually talking about genre works like science fiction. But that's not what we are talking about here in a literary-mainstream thread.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
JimHeskett
Writers gon write.

JimHeskett is well-respected
is the focus on plot, or on character? that's the main distinction
Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
cnhull
figuring it all out

cnhull is on a distinguished road
"Is my novel literary?"

Let someone else answer in regards to your writings literary merit. Certainly don't proclaim yourself the next John Fowles or Nicole Krauss or whatever your favorite writer's name is.

For the sake of approaching agents, if the conflict in more internal then lean towards 'yes, it's literary,' but don't say it. If you've written The Godfather and plot machinations and intrigue are the crux of your story it may be more commercial, but that doesn't mean it can't approach 'literary.'

To me, 'literary' is a word like 'postmodern:' it means something different to everyone and seemingly no one can write a consensus definition short of a dissertation.
cnhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
SentaHolland
'Out of the Shadows' HarperCollins

SentaHolland is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem with being 'literary' - which in my case meant that I didn't seem to fit into any genre. It made the journey longer and more difficult and I can see why - readers' opinions are divided, depending on what they think of 'literature'. I don't think that saying a book is 'literary' makes you arrogant, it's just a description of focus on form and language, I think.
SentaHolland is offline   Reply With Quote