Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #101
VeronicaX
practical experience, FTW

VeronicaX has a spectacular aura
The book I'm trying (!) to read is ... I guess it's okay. I only presumed it'd be more of a pleasure than it is considering it's a book that many speak fondly of. It just so happen that it's flat and predictable, at least so far.

Maybe I'm just picky, maybe I'm judging too quickly, maybe it's simply not my genre. No matter what: it's not ... good, in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #102
Velcro
Scribbling Scribe

Velcro is on a distinguished road
I was a little concerned that the book I'm reading was a propaganda story written to introduce young and influential readers to the Wiccan religion...but now I'm seeing that the writer is not just talking about that religion instead comparing religions through different characters.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #103
BrumBall
Keep Right On

BrumBall is on a distinguished road
The last two books I've read -

The Casual Vacancy - slightly annoyed that JK killed the only character who I wanted a happy ending for. I only bothered reading the second half of the book to see what happened to her!

Dracula - all the 'goodie' characters are too sycophantic. They are constantly talking about how great they think each other are, especially Mina who must be the most wonderful person on the planet!
Where all you love and you're dreaming of,
Will be there,
At the end of the road.
BrumBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #104
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Well, this is the third novella I've read in about as many months in which the heroine is named Charlotte and is nicknamed Charlie. (In two cases, just by the hero. In the other, everyone called her Charlie.)

Minor complaint, I guess...
LJD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #105
Persei
Let it go

Persei has a spectacular aura
I'm reading Jane Eyre. And everything moves so sloooooow I want to set the book on fire. Autobiography (and slow ones at that) are not really my thing.

Final draft ~ Done, revised, edited and put together. Off to beta readers and professional ortographic revision!

Steampunk novel: The one who knows better

Outlining stage
Persei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #106
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Michael Crichton - Congo

I know it cannot be helped, but since it was written in the late 70s he goes into a lot of detail about computer passwords and other technology that is now commonplace. He gets an A+ for making it interesting, but it's amusing now just how tech savvy we've become in my lifetime.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #107
Chrissy
Magna Cum Absurdus

Chrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Third book in Game of Thrones.... all the good guys are getting killed!!!

Still can't put it down.
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #108
Marumae
Princess of Poppycock

Marumae is on a distinguished road
Reading two books right now, Emily of New Moon and Paranormalcy.

While I love L.M. Montgomery and the Anne of Green Gables series, it's been years since I've read them and this book is definitely different, seems to have less of a quirky, happy charm to it and seems to have an air of sadness that it can't shake. I just hope this isn't a book of constant suffering that turns Emily into a Too Good For this World heroine.

I'm enjoying Paranormalcy, but I'm not falling in complete absolute love and I'd heard such great, amazing, wow, wonderful things about it. Nothing too bad, there's just some....cliche's that are standard for the genre that I'm weary of. I think perhaps this is a sign that I am done with Urban Fantasy/Paranormal books for good. Personal taste and all that.

On Desk: Nuthin.
Trunked: Too many to count!

Last edited by Marumae; 11-12-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Just realized I typed something in a sentence that made no sense in context with the rest! Woo I need sleep...
Marumae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #109
Chrissy
Magna Cum Absurdus

Chrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Same book, Page 921...

So help me, if they kill Jon Snow, I'm going to smash my Nook into little itty bitty pieces....
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #110
Emermouse

Emermouse is on a distinguished road
Re: Game of Thrones:

I've still got my fingers crossed that George RR Martin can pull this off, but I'm worried that he's overextending himself. I know everybody loves Theon and Asha, but do we really need the Iron Islands plots? To say nothing of Dorne. The latest two books haven't had the momentum that the first three did and I'm afraid it shows. But so far, I'm still clinging to the hope that George RR Martin will pull all this off.

That is if he doesn't pull a Robert Jordan and die on us before finishing the series.
Emermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #111
PortableHal
Not-so-new

PortableHal has a spectacular aura
Halfway through Michener's The Novel (copyright 1991) and the publishing industry seems so dated. Things change quickly, don't they?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #112
Chrissy
Magna Cum Absurdus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emermouse View Post
Re: Game of Thrones:

I've still got my fingers crossed that George RR Martin can pull this off, but I'm worried that he's overextending himself. I know everybody loves Theon and Asha, but do we really need the Iron Islands plots? To say nothing of Dorne. The latest two books haven't had the momentum that the first three did and I'm afraid it shows. But so far, I'm still clinging to the hope that George RR Martin will pull all this off.
Emermouse, I agree. I'm almost done with the fourth book now and there are so many loose ends and subplots that I'm starting to get impatient. Also, I'm really, really tired of the descriptions of weather and land and water and sky and trees and snow and... I know what the entire realm looks like by now!!! Get on with the plot!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #113
Ergodic Mage
Neophyte Writer

Ergodic Mage is well-respected
I'm two thirds of the way through Hugh Howey's Second Shift-Order book, the latest in his great Wool series. The thing that bugs me the most is I'm close to finishing and have to wait for more, again.
Ergodic Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #114
Evaine

Evaine is well-respected
Sorry, Emermouse - but I don't love Theon! I think he's far too full of himself and needs a bit of cutting down to size. Asha is great, though.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #115
randi.lee
More cowbell!

randi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewelrandi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm reading a new book on editing. I'm twenty pages in and have already found four typos in this book on editing.

Please try not to take me too seriously. What I've posted above is most likely in jest.

Snap! A Quite Quick Collection now available on Amazon.
randi.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #116
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I had to start the book I'm reading over again. It's Nachtsturm Castle, a sort of Jane Austen continuation. I got so lost - I had no idea what was going on, so I had to backtrack and got nowhere.

Also, at one point, the heroine goes thru a hidden passage and walks down flights and flights of stairs. She is chased by a person and a vicious beast into a room that slams shut behind her. A bowl of fruit and a candle are lit within. A painting that looks just like her hangs on the wall.

She is rescued from this situation, and nothing about what happened is discussed. No one is surprised at the painting and nothing is said of the vicious beast that chased her down the stairs. Or that a candle burns in an empty, hidden room.

What the actual, truck, people?!

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter
bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #117
Emermouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evaine View Post
Sorry, Emermouse - but I don't love Theon! I think he's far too full of himself and needs a bit of cutting down to size. Asha is great, though.
Me too! I'm baffled by the amount of fan love he gets. He's an arrogant jerk who got pounded; what's to love about that? Not to mention, yeah, he had a rotten childhood; name a character in ASOIAF who didn't. He only starts to redeem himself in the fifth book.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #118
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
Ugh, I start reading a book which is supposed to be an original fairy-tale/fantasy suitable for young teens, and three chapters in there have been two murders, torture, and bullying at sword point! Ew! I wanted a romantic and mysterious fairy tale with lots of cool symbolism, not this gruesome stuff.
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #119
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
The author feels the need to describe every character's appearance and outfit, and the color of everything (not just the outfits!) is mentioned.
I hear you there. The book I'm reading? I'm on page 198 and I have counted 19 separate descriptions of clothing worn by the love triangle.

It could be a drinking game.

And the book is terribly dated. I feel like I'm reading an UF version of Purple Rain.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #120
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In Real Life & Liars by Kristine Riggle, one character has the "quirk" of tugging at his earlobe whenever he's nervous or thinking. I've never been wild about obviously pasted on quirks like this anyway, and this one seemed rather childish for a 30-year-old dude. But what really bugged me was he had to do this in every single scene he was in, and the one time he didn't do it it was "He would have tugged at his earlobe except his hands were full."

Gaaaaaaaah!

It wasn't a horrible book, but it was unfortunately larded up with facemaking which is a major peeve of mine. Lip chewing/biting, wincing, cringing, smirking, scowling, eye rolling .... to me, that always adds up to a whole lot of nothing going on. Not that there's anything wrong with an occasional facial expression, but come on with the facial charades. It's too bad some writers think "show don't tell" means "show your characters making stock faces in response to absolutely everything that happens." I was beginning to picture them all as variations of Jim Carrey.

/rant

My dog can say "I love you."

Devil Ledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #121
Emermouse

Thirteen Reasons Why

You wanna know why the girl killed herself? It was so the main character can hear her tapes and grow as a person.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #122
Yorkist
Banned

Yorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsYorkist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Emermouse... oooh, that sounds awful.

What's really annoying me about the book I'm reading is that I keep losing it.

Re: ASOIAF. This is really bugging the crap out of me because there's no way I would've gotten into the series without the TV show (the writing is, shall we say, not to my taste). Martin has killed off all of my favorite characters except Sansa (if she dies I am done). In the last two books, a thousand pages of nothing happens. And the three Mary Sues main characters have become absolutely insufferable. I hope the HBO writers can do something with this hot tub o' mess.
Yorkist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #123
Brightdreamer
Just Another Lazy Perfectionist

Brightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputation
Reading two right now, one on Nook and one on Kindle. (I'm between hardcopy books right now.)

On my Nook, I'm reading After London or, Wild England (Richard Jeffries.) Older post-apocalyptic/reverted-to-Dark-Ages story. It seems hell-bent on infodumps and descriptions and backstory overload. I'm giving it a break due to the age of the piece, though. And, honestly, I've read far worse.

On my Kindle, I'm partway through Clockwork Kingdom (Leah Cutter.) No major complaints at the moment, though I'm hoping the girl MC isn't going to succumb to Plot-Extending Stupidity in the near future.

Just went through about three titles in a row on my Kindle that were deleted before the 10% mark. (For book review purposes, my new policy is "10% or it never happened." Clawed my eyes out one too many times after feeling obligated to finish what I started... Now, I only feel obligated to finish if I've posted the title under Currently Reading on my blog.) Reasons for deletions: unlikeable characters, terrible editing/spellchecking, overly pretentious writing style, three chapters in which nothing whatsoever happened.

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
- from The Daily Humorscope
Brightdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #124
whiporee

Location: 8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the ocean
whiporee has a spectacular aurawhiporee has a spectacular aura
I'm reading Cartwheel. It's a take on that girl in Italy who may or may not have killed her roommate. I think the writer is having too much fun with her words and her introspection, and it's getting a little old. Not bad, but a little too self-aware.
whiporee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #125
Brightdreamer
Just Another Lazy Perfectionist

Brightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputationBrightdreamer has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiporee View Post
I'm reading Cartwheel. It's a take on that girl in Italy who may or may not have killed her roommate. I think the writer is having too much fun with her words and her introspection, and it's getting a little old. Not bad, but a little too self-aware.
Ergh... the extra-clever self-aware story. That's a very fine line to walk, if you want to pull it off...

I'm reading three stories right now, all of which are a little irksome (but not so much that I'm stopping reading them.)

Nick of Time, by Ted Bell - A YA time travel adventure that's taking its sweet time on the whole "time travel" and "adventure" deal promised by the title and cover blurb. Now, everyone's sitting around yapping (again) instead of actually doing anything adventurous.

Surcease of Sorrow, by Matt Inglima - A short story about a man who travels back in time to save Abraham Lincoln's son. I just started it, and the MC has proven stupid on two counts already. Hopefully, he wises up quickly.

The Celestial Omnibus and Other Stories, by E. M. Forster - An older public domain short story collection, tending toward the erudite and poetic. Not having been raised in England in the early 20th century on a classical education, I'm sure some of the impact is lost on me, but even then he seems to be trying too hard to be Profound and Literary. Still, he has some good imagery, and the stories aren't bad overall.

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
- from The Daily Humorscope
Brightdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote