Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Nonfiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Stephanie Golden
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Stephanie Golden is on a distinguished road
book category sales

I'm writing a proposal, trying to figure out which would be the best category(ies) for this book. Could be fitness, could be health & wellness, could be longevity. \

Is there a source to find out which categories (as opposed to individual titles) have the largest markets?
Slaying the Mermaid: Women and the Culture of Sacrifice: available on Kindle and Smashwords
Stephanie Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Boovis

Boovis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Golden View Post
I'm writing a proposal, trying to figure out which would be the best category(ies) for this book. Could be fitness, could be health & wellness, could be longevity. \

Is there a source to find out which categories (as opposed to individual titles) have the largest markets?
I'd suggest that, when the book is submitted to a publisher, that they will know what genre or subgenre your book fits into so I'd just concentrate on getting it written for the moment and then letting your agent or publisher deal with the headache of how to list or market it
Boovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
RedWritingHood

RedWritingHood is on a distinguished road
I agree with Boovis. Now if you have someone interested and waiting for your proposal, that's one thing. Of course, how would I realistically know, since I've never written a proposal. I've just written the book and then looked for a publisher. Hmm.

What if you tell them it fits in three categories. My works never fit into just one. I'm always between the cracks. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
RedWritingHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Stephanie Golden

I do have an agent waiting for it, but from what I can gather (and I did a fair amount of research) agents and editors want to know from the getgo what shelves in the bookstore (or more realistically, what category at Amazon) it will be assigned to. So I picked one basic one and two secondary ones.
Slaying the Mermaid: Women and the Culture of Sacrifice: available on Kindle and Smashwords
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
dpawl

dpawl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Golden View Post
I do have an agent waiting for it, but from what I can gather (and I did a fair amount of research) agents and editors want to know from the getgo what shelves in the bookstore (or more realistically, what category at Amazon) it will be assigned to. So I picked one basic one and two secondary ones.
I'm having the same experience with agents. It appears they want to know the genre right away for marketing purposes. It makes sense to know your target market, and it's good that you chose one basic and two secondary because a bookstore at the airport may have a different way of displaying books than a bookstore at the mall, and Amazon may a completely different way.
dpawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Stephanie Golden

The agents want to know because the publishers want to know. They are hysterical because the publishing industry is going down the tubes, and they want everything but a gold-plated guarantee that they can sell the book. The last proposal I wrote didn't sell. One publisher was very interested but wouldn't buy the book unless we could prove to them that we could sell 50,000 copies. Surprise--we couldn't.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
dpawl

Wow! When you say 50,000 copies, are you referring to printed copies, or does that number include ebook sales?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Stephanie Golden

Print copies. It was a while ago, publishers weren't so focused on ebooks.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
dpawl

I'm wondering if publishers typically have marketing professionals on staff. It's not an easy process to come up with a projected sales forecast and tailor a marketing program based on this information.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It really depends what the book is. I mean oif the book really is all about living longer that has modest potential, if it genuinely is about weight loss it would have a hell of a lot more. But a book can only be genuinely, centrally totally all about a fairly small number of things (simultaneously). If it is a little bit about a lot of things but not really focussed on any of them, then the sales potential tend to go down.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Stephanie Golden

Publishers have understaffed, overworked marketing and publicity departsments, so except for the rock-bottom basics, they hardly ever do marketing any more, except for really big-name authors. The average midlist author has to do his or her own publicity and marketing, except that the publisher will send a press release review copies to their own list of periodicals, plus any names the author supplies (saving the author lots of money, although usually you have to rewrite the press release because the publicity person never read the book). Being asked to guarantee 50,000 copies was pretty extreme, but basically authors must do their own marketing these days, which is one reason book authors are so quick to complain about publishers.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My non-fiction publisher put my book in their catalog and take my book to conventions, and the book sells. I am not sure what else I would expect them to do.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #13
Stephanie Golden

Used to be they got you on media. The publicity dept would call TV producers, they would get you on radio, call magazine editors to get your book reviewed (of course then magazines actually reviewed books). When my first book came out the publisher actually gave me a mini book tour, which included lots of radio, a local TV show, a newspaper interview, and a talk/signing at a bookstore. When my 2d book came out things were already changing but the publisher got me a gig as a keynote speaker at a book fair. Those were the days.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
dpawl

Thank you. This is very informative.