Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > PoC
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #351
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I really don't feel I can characterize this book one way or another without reading it. But I don't think I could stomach it. It sounds really awful! and the samples are prose are dull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #352
scottken
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

scottken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
Stephanie Sinclair, over at Cuddlebuggary (a large and well know book review blog) has given the novel a thorough read-through and review - 0 stars, which I think is a first.

http://cuddlebuggery.com/2012/08/boo...victoria-foyt/
That's a great and scathing review.

N.K. Jemison also posted an interesting blog post today about discrimination flip novels in general:

http://nkjemisin.com/2012/08/flippin...-we-should-we/
scottken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #353
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think the only way VF is going to end this anytime soon is to come out and address the issues, publicly, and not with a friendly media contact.

She especially needs to address the issues PoC presented and she dismissed. I don't think a simple..."I made a mistake," is going to put her back in good graces with readers or her fellow authors.

I don't think this is going away anytime soon...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #354
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think a author response would just light a fire under it even more.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #355
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
I think a author response would just light a fire under it even more.
if done at the right time, which would be about now.

everyone who posted here sure their not victims of a viral campaign?

either way, I aint gonna post on this anymore.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #356
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If it's a viral campaign, it's not a very good one. Contrary to what some marketing people think, there is such a thing as bad publicity. Having your name attached to a story that will probably sink a once-respected magazine isn't going to help with any but the Aryan-Nations Racial Holy War crowd. There are too many professional writers who are genre giants saying 'Wotthehell?' about this.

I indulged my curiosity and read the first chapter online soon after I heard about it. I was not impressed. Less so, after I read a summary of the rest of the book. If not for the RaceFail issues, it would probably have sunk without a ripple into the millions of other questionable self-pub works. The book is developing a gravity well far stronger than it deserves.

Foyt has guts, I'll give her that. She's not backing down. It's a real pity that her connections, money, and marketing aren't attached to a better book.
Although I'm not attending WorldCon, I know a few folks who are. Be certain this is a major topic for discussion.

Last edited by Filigree; 08-30-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #357
thothguard51

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Guts? Guts?

To me, guts would be to step up to the plate and admit fail. To me, her sense of entitlement prevents her from admitting she failed.

And this book fails on so many levels...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 08-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #358
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Let's confine comments to discussion of the book and not the author, please.

Also, I agree with veinglory that further comment from the author would only stoke the fire. Not only is Author's Big Mistake at play in that situation but, more importantly, a book must be able to speak for itself. If it can't, no apology, no explanation made after publication will do anything for it. The work must stand or fall on its own.

Last edited by Ari Meermans; 08-30-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #359
thothguard51

Ari, I understand what you are saying, but in this case, I am not sure you can separate the author from the book because of the authors comments are especially relevant in this forum.

Still, I will respect our AW rule and try to keep it about the book...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #360
Blarg
Banned

Blarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
I don't think this is going away anytime soon...
Me either, because it's the first in a series.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #361
thothguard51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
Me either, because it's the first in a series.
I hope she gets an editor for the follow up books...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #362
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have had people make various claims about my book that I disagreed about (albeit on a much smaller scale). My approach was to respect they opinion but not engage with it.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #363
meowzbark
practical experience, FTW

meowzbark is a glorious beacon of lightmeowzbark is a glorious beacon of lightmeowzbark is a glorious beacon of light
So call me crazy but I requested a copy from Netgalley.

Planning on doing a compare/contrast between this book and another reverse racial book. I think the other one is called Crosses and Naughts but the title might be reversed.
meowzbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #364
rosiroo
Chasing the flow

rosiroo is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzbark View Post
So call me crazy but I requested a copy from Netgalley.

Planning on doing a compare/contrast between this book and another reverse racial book. I think the other one is called Crosses and Naughts but the title might be reversed.
That sounds an interesting read. Good luck with the reading

Twitter: twitter.com/rosembradbury

Last edited by rosiroo; 09-30-2012 at 09:57 PM.
rosiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #365
thothguard51

Privilaged...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #366
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
Or ignorant and racist to boot.
Definitely something.

I'm surprised she's still being talked about, considering how fast the internet moves. I mean Hurricane Sandy seems like a distant event now. : /
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #367
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Enough with the shitty personal insults, people. It doesn't belong here, and you damned well know better.

So knock it off.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #368
LaneHeymont

LaneHeymont is well-respected
Apologies. For those who are curious, I saw on Amazon that the sequel's come out. Haven't heard anything about it though.

My Website
Twitter
Facebook
The Seymour Agency
LaneHeymont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #369
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Apologies. For those who are curious, I saw on Amazon that the sequel's come out. Haven't heard anything about it though.
It's on pre-order, so not actually out. I'm sure some people will blog about it, but unless it fails in new and special ways, there's not a whole lot that hasn't already be said.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #370
Blarg
Banned

Blarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputation
I'm curious whether, and to what extent, all the negative publicity she got might have made her write this second in the series in some way differently.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #371
LaneHeymont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polenth View Post
It's on pre-order, so not actually out. I'm sure some people will blog about it, but unless it fails in new and special ways, there's not a whole lot that hasn't already be said.
Good to know, thanks for the info!

@Blarg- I somehow doubt it.

My Website
Twitter
Facebook
The Seymour Agency
Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 AM   #372
Rachel Udin
Banned

Rachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of light
Because doing black people wasn't enough this new book has to include Magical Aztec tribe with a magical plant that magically survived.

First words: "Oh no you didn't" Does that mean the third installment will include a slangy Asian of nondescript ethnicity?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...-adapting-eden

Also, her boyfriend is still the "Beastly man" making him the "Beastly man she loves" somehow is supposed to make it better???
Rachel Udin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #373
LaneHeymont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Udin View Post
Because doing black people wasn't enough this new book has to include Magical Aztec tribe with a magical plant that magically survived.

First words: "Oh no you didn't" Does that mean the third installment will include a slangy Asian of nondescript ethnicity?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...-adapting-eden

Also, her boyfriend is still the "Beastly man" making him the "Beastly man she loves" somehow is supposed to make it better???
You're kidding, right? I can't believe the first words are, "Oh no you didn't." That'd just be...wildly...

My Website
Twitter
Facebook
The Seymour Agency
Old 11-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #374
Rachel Udin
Banned

Rachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
You're kidding, right? I can't believe the first words are, "Oh no you didn't." That'd just be...wildly...
*My* first words were Oh no you didn't.

Sorry, but I thought she'd learn *something* but she makes it abundantly clear in the blurb that she didn't. So this new book will center around Aztecs... *sighs* and "Beastly" black boyfriend.
Rachel Udin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:07 AM   #375
LJ Hall
For I am a Rain Dog too

LJ Hall has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Udin View Post
Sorry, but I thought she'd learn *something* but she makes it abundantly clear in the blurb that she didn't. So this new book will center around Aztecs... *sighs* and "Beastly" black boyfriend.
The Aztecs were in the first book, too. I haven't read it, but there's some schadenfreude to be had in reading some of the lengthy, detailed criticisms of it that're out there.

I'm trying not to attack the author here, but her personal views ARE relevant when she's made so many statements about this series and the viewpoints that she's taken. So without attacking her personally, I'll just say that it's very very clear from her statements that she simply doesn't think that she's done anything wrong. At all. She's not going to fix anything if she doesn't believe it's broke, you know?
LJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote