Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Romance/Women's Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
WhatTheWhat
PRing my little heart out

WhatTheWhat is on a distinguished road
Holiday-Themed Romances?

Hey all,

I just got the publication dates for my books (yay!): May, August, and November. My editor is offering me the opportunity to write a Christmas story for my third, since it'll be released so late in the year.

I'm on the fence about it. I'm not against it by any means; honestly, I've just never thought about it.

How do you feel about holiday-themed romances? Cute? A sure thing? (Pulls sales as readers are looking for a little Christmas cheer around that time of year?) Or not your cup of eggnog? Are they limiting? (Maybe sales when the snow flies, but then dies on the vine, because readers might not want to read about snow and Santa in July?)

I'd love to hear the pros and cons of that sort of romance!

Hee hee as a pagan I could write a Yule-themed one, but I don't think that's what he's got in mind--! Just kidding--I do the ho ho ho with the best of 'em!

Why, yes, I do have a blog. How kind of you to ask.
WhatTheWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
ZoeYork
practical experience, FTW

ZoeYork is on a distinguished road
I think the holidays are rife with romantic opportunity (and potential conflict!). As long as the story stands on its own, that shouldn't be limiting. I read a couple of wintery books this past summer and quite enjoyed them.

As an aesthetic reader, for ME, cover design can play a factor re: timeless vs. time-limited, but that's up to the publisher, right?

1st Novel (The Year of Kate): On hold at 18,000/65,000 words while I work on ...
Untitled Christmas Novella: 12,000/25,000 words
ZoeYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Evangeline
Twirling in a glass of champagne

Evangeline is well-respected
I've heard from published authors that holiday-themed stories (esp Christmas) sell strongly all year round.
Evangeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
dolores haze
ageing savage

dolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't read them too often. They can be lovely, but I find too many of them can get a bit syrupy. Just read a trio of sci fi holiday novellas that hit the sweet-not-syrupy spot for me.

I've got one coming out soon. It's not terribly Christmassy, but there's snow, roaring fires, mulled wine, etc. I like the sensory details of the holiday season more than anything. My plan is to promo it during the run up to Christmas, then ignore it until next Christmas.

WhatTheWhat - you should run your Yule-themed idea by your editor. Most calls for holiday season stories I've seen mention Yule, Christmas, Kwanza, New Years, etc. He might love the idea!
dolores haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Ann_Mayburn
Smutty McTitters

Ann_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admiration
I have one holiday short story out, Peppermint Passion, and one coming out this week, Adore. I found PP sells on and off during the year, but sells great around the holidays. Because they are short stories I can deal with the 'meh' off season sales in exchange for good sales during the three month holiday period.

Also, both books are short stories so I didn't invest a huge amount of time into them like I would with a full length novel.

Ann_Mayburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to behold
My debut novel due for release from Samhain Publishing on December 4th is a Christmas novel that somehow hit some of Samhain Publishing's best seller category lists two weeks before release blowing my mind! (It's available for pre-order)
It is a paranormal menage erotic romance. Anyway obviously I can't say how sales will work out overall but wow I was thrilled to make some of those lists so early. I have short stories published, but this is my first full length novel so I didn't know what to expect re...sales.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

Last edited by gingerwoman; 11-21-2012 at 07:04 PM.
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
WhatTheWhat
PRing my little heart out

WhatTheWhat is on a distinguished road
Thanks everybody--and congrats on all the new stories coming out! I'm still thinking about it and looking for good examples to read for research (I write contemporary/chick lit). I've got about a month and a half to decide...

Why, yes, I do have a blog. How kind of you to ask.
WhatTheWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to behold
Oh another thing I just noticed the number one best selling book in the historical romance category at Samhain at the moment is a Christmas book.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote