Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #18851
Kewii
practical experience, FTW

Kewii is a shiny, shiny jewelKewii is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm ok with flashbacks...if they are adding to the story. Too often they're not necessary and not put in for the right reason. I think they need to contain some sort of essential detail that we wouldn't have been able to get another way.

Edited to add examples...examples from TV shows... whatever

So good flashbacks: Veronica Mars. They almost always added to the plot or characterization. Most often showing us a clue Veronica needed.

Bad flashbacks: well, I don't know if Dawson's Creek did flashbacks, but if they did, I bet they did them badly

"You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve."
-J.K Rowling

My New Blog

I'm (Gonna) NaNo

Last edited by Kewii; 11-17-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #18852
Stuck In Kansas

Stuck In Kansas has a spectacular aura
Thanks for the input, Kewii!

Flashbacks are tricky. I think they're necessary. I just need to use 'em right. Refinement is necessary. Sigh. I don't think I'll ever be happy with my writing.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #18853
JKRowley

JKRowley is on a distinguished road
Flashbacks can add some meat to a story, but they can be unnecessary, too.

I dislike it when an entire book is set within a flashback and the characters set in the present time are only in the first and last chapter. Seems pointless to have them at all, but I see a lot of stories set up like that.

Wrote 0 words yesterday. Need to get cracking, today.

Twitter - @MoonOverMadison
Blog - http://jillysbookblog.blogspot.com
Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #18854
parumpdragon
Just chick n it

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote 2k yesterday, working on some sentences now

good luck!

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #18855
Stuck In Kansas

Kewii! Thanks for name-dropping Veronica Mars. You're awesome. Yes, you. Believe it or not, this old guy was inspired by that brilliant show.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #18856
Stuck In Kansas

JK! Couldn't agree with you more. What's the point of having wrap-arounds if the better portion of the book is in the past?

Now, get crackin'!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #18857
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
VERONICA MARS IS REAWESOMEDICULOUSLY AMAZING.

that is all.

WIP: YA Psychological Thriller--ForNever--Being queried! Please pass the vomit bucket.

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #18858
Stiger05

Stiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admiration
I agree with Kewii and JK, Kansas. I don't mind a flashback if they add to the story and aren't just because you like writing flashbacks.

I've got some sprinkled in my ms at the beginning or end of a chapter, but they directly tie in with what's about to happen and kind foreshadow.

Writing some stuff, editing some stuff, you know, the same old same old.

My blog
Twitter

Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #18859
Bing Z
illiterate primate

Bing Z is a splendid one to beholdBing Z is a splendid one to beholdBing Z is a splendid one to behold
justbishop:
a) Good luck on the three-word story & congratz on 27k words.
b) These 2 stories are completely different. This new one is paranormal and probably not YA so they target totally difference audiences. I also won't call the reincarnating girl committing suicide. It's murder by seduction (oh... oh this is a sexy term and makes a great book title.) You have an intriguing theme and plotline here. Good luck.

Kansas:
I partially agree with Kewii and the others. In theory flashbacks are necessary--every word in your story is supposed to be necessary. They are there because you're talking about back story and you believe you need a scene instead of summarized telling or hinting. I think it all boils down to execution: something relevant at the right time with the right load (length & details of flashback), as well as the transitions. Try SYW?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #18860
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am rarely annoyed by flashbacks when reading, but they always seem bad to me when I'm writing one or critting. I don't know.

Passed 50K on A Paranormal Bromance. Still going

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #18861
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

justbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing Zabriskie View Post
justbishop:
a) Good luck on the three-word story & congratz on 27k words.
b) These 2 stories are completely different. This new one is paranormal and probably not YA so they target totally difference audiences. I also won't call the reincarnating girl committing suicide. It's murder by seduction (oh... oh this is a sexy term and makes a great book title.) You have an intriguing theme and plotline here. Good luck.
Thanks Bing

Yeah, the two stories are very different. The new one is definitely YA, though (MC is 16, dealing with BFF issues and feelings for her childhood friend neighbor boy, as well as the whole ghostly love affair). I do hope that potential agents and publishers for it end up holding the same opinion that you do about the MC's past incarnations suicides not technically being suicides. I won't give away the direction the modern day MC chooses to go in, but I will say that she does NOT commit suicide, so maybe that will be my saving grace.
WIP#1: 52,313/50,000

The Last Three Words: Evernight Teen | Amazon

Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #18862
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolness
Yay Sage!

Kansas, LOL. I am very very partial to flashbacks. BUT that's bc my entire novel was flashbacks And lots of therapy. *whistles* loooots of therapy. So I am partial to the flashbacks but only if they add to the story. I hate it when they are pages long and could be summed up in a sentence!!

Places you can find me other than AW:
Blog!
Twitter (tweet tweet)

YA Contemporary: (52,000) Querying. *bites nails*
V!0L3NT D3L!GHTS: (70,800) Trunked.
TH3 R0S3 K!NGD0M: (74,000) Trunked forever.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #18863
Kewii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In Kansas View Post
Kewii! Thanks for name-dropping Veronica Mars. You're awesome. Yes, you. Believe it or not, this old guy was inspired by that brilliant show.
This is because Veronica Mars is awesome.

Whevever I have a problem, I just say to myself WWVMD and then I know that all I need to do is take names and kick ass.

And then the world is right again.

-J.K Rowling

My New Blog

I'm (Gonna) NaNo

Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #18864
bertrigby
Dysfunctional dystopian

bertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewelbertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewel
So much good news well done guys!

I am sooo woefully behind on NaNo, but at the same time pleased because I just wanted to get some words down and I've got a lot more than I had in October...

My website is here and my twitter is here.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #18865
Rachel
Stuff and nonsense.

Rachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRachel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
everyone. Anyone about?

"You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world! This room's the greatest arsenal we could have - arm yourselves!"
~ The Doctor.

Untitled awesome YA ~ need beta.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #18866
Stuck In Kansas

Rachel! Everyone's busy NaNoizing. It's quiet in here 'till they're done. So you're stuck with me.

Last edited by Stuck In Kansas; 11-20-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #18867
Stiger05

Stiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admirationStiger05 has earned our admiration
Wow, it is quiet! Good luck everyone finishing NANO. A little under two weeks left!

My blog
Twitter

Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #18868
Kewii

Hey all

My new baby nephew was born on Sunday. It's the first nephew that's been born since I married into the family

-J.K Rowling

My New Blog

I'm (Gonna) NaNo

Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #18869
Stiger05

Congrats Kewii!

My blog
Twitter

Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #18870
mellymel

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*runs into thread screaming with joy*

I FINALLY finished my novel!! Now I have to chop about 10K and off it goes to my first round beta readers!

*runs out of thread, crashes into wall, decides to just lay there for about a week because my brain is fried*

ETA: *gets up for a moment to say CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BIRTH OF YOUR BABY NEPHEW KEWII*

*lays back down and dreams about turkey, mashed potatoes, butter nut squash, stuffing, cranberry sauce, apple pie, and all those other amazing Thanksgiving foods that make me drool*

2 more days 'til TURKEY DAY! Woot!

WIP: YA Psychological Thriller--ForNever--Being queried! Please pass the vomit bucket.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #18871
Stiger05

Congrats Mel!!!!!!

My blog
Twitter

Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #18872
Bing Z
illiterate primate

Bing Z is a splendid one to beholdBing Z is a splendid one to beholdBing Z is a splendid one to behold
Congrats Kewii. Give the mom a kiss for me, will you?

Congrats mellymel. I envy you. I need to work harder. Anyway, keep lying back and dream. And yes, you get to keep your turkey, but I'm going to have to quietly borrow the stuffing, cranberry sauce. and apple pie. Happyz turkeyz dayz.

I didn't do NaNo either. It takes me a year to write 30k words. I don't want to feed on Prozac for the rest of my life. But I've finally emptied my piggy bank and replaced my 20 yo Camry. At least got somethin' done.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #18873
Periwinkle

Periwinkle is on a distinguished road
Congratulations Auntie Kewii!

Way to go, Mel! What an awesome feeling that must be.

And now my mouth is watering thinking about all of my favorite Thanksgiving foods (stuffing, mashed potatos, stuffing, and oh yeah, stuffing). Tomorrow I have to bake an apple pie, chocolate chip cookies and make fudge. Oh, how I love this holiday!!

Bing, did you get another Camry? I love ours. We've had Ol' Reliable for 7 years now.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #18874
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats, Kewii and Mel!

I'm actually not NaNoing today. I'm just super busy

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Old 11-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #18875
mellymel

Thanks guys!! :hugs: It does feel good. I really struggled for some reason with the last 1/4 of this thing. That doesn't usually happen.

Bing, no turkey?!? Ham?

Peri, I'm with you. My favoritist (<-- not a word but totally should be) food is stuffing. I could just eat a heaping plate of stuffing for thanksgiving and be very happy. For realz.

Closed Thread