Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
dawinsor
Dorothy A. Winsor

dawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudgedawinsor is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Phillip Roth feels your pain

Yesterday's NYT had an interview with Phillip Roth in which he talked about retiring from writing. Here's what he said:

Quote:
I no longer have the stamina to endure the frustration. Writing is frustration ó itís daily frustration, not to mention humiliation. Itís just like baseball: you fail two-thirds of the time.Ē He went on: ďI canít face any more days when I write five pages and throw them away. I canít do that anymore.Ē

I figure if Phillip Roth can be frustrated and have to toss pages, we're all entitled.

"Kid, have you rehabilitated yourself?"

Bobak is my co-pilot.
dawinsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I prefer to think that I have no failed pages, only pages I haven't fixed yet.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
TheKoB
Smooth Operator

TheKoB is on a distinguished road
If I remember it correctly, Kafka wasn't overly fond of his work and destroyed it most of the time.
He was embarrased about his seminal work "Das Schloss" and wanted it burned, but his buddy preserved it and now it belongs to the canon of world literature....

I guess it's okay to be hard on your own work.
TheKoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Roth is a nutjob of the first order. Always has been. A very good writer, but as nutty as a squirrel's last bowel movement.

And he whines way, way too much over things no sane writer would even notice.

Frustrated and himiliated, my eye. The only thing frustrating and humiliating about writing is how writer's like Roth behave.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
Roth is a nutjob of the first order. Always has been. A very good writer, but as nutty as a squirrel's last bowel movement.

And he whines way, way too much over things no sane writer would even notice.

Frustrated and himiliated, my eye. The only thing frustrating and humiliating about writing is how writer's like Roth behave.
Oh, James...

(Can't help myself. i just like saying it )
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote