Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #1176
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I remember the Simpsons Halloween riff on that one, HS.

You know you're an MTS writer when you come up with thriller ideas going through airport security. Especially when those ideas involve explosives disguised as aspirin, and poison hidden in eye drops...

We're safe from those FBI watch lists here, right?

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #1177
onuilmar
(w)ride like the wind

onuilmar is a glorious beacon of lightonuilmar is a glorious beacon of lightonuilmar is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post

You know you're an MTS writer when you come up with thriller ideas going through airport security. Especially when those ideas involve explosives disguised as aspirin, and poison hidden in eye drops...

So long as you're not coming to the good old US of A, I would think.

Hmm, explosives disguised as aspirin. I can see it now: it's in the next best seller! And just think, fiction does not require citations (so long as one does not plagiarize).

Now that's a tuffy: where's the line between lifting a nebulous idea and plagiarizing? 'Eye of the beholder' would lead to severe differences between **er and **ee. (Too lazy to type it all out.)
onuilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #1178
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And as long as you never wrote a smoochy smoochy email to General Petraeus, because we all know that is an uber huge threat to national insecurity security.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #1179
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by onuilmar View Post
And Muse: If you kill time, I think you have the nugget for a great story. Then ALL you have to do is develop the plot.

And just think, it could be written as either a mystery or a thriller. Just think of the possibilities.
But then I'd have to kill the plot. Yes, I am in killing form. I know! Let's form a

Quote:

There's a list? Is it like Santa's list? Do I have to be naughty or nice to get on it?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #1180
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Now that's a tuffy: where's the line between lifting a nebulous idea and plagiarizing? 'Eye of the beholder' would lead to severe differences between **er and **ee. (Too lazy to type it all out.)
Eh, you're welcome to it . I had some interesting ideas about how someone might kill people with those things, and in all probability you'd come up with very different things.

I have about a dozen "proper" story ideas vying for my attention anyway, so random nuggets are definitely up for grabs!

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #1181
onuilmar
(w)ride like the wind

onuilmar is a glorious beacon of lightonuilmar is a glorious beacon of lightonuilmar is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Eh, you're welcome to it . I had some interesting ideas about how someone might kill people with those things, and in all probability you'd come up with very different things.

I have about a dozen "proper" story ideas vying for my attention anyway, so random nuggets are definitely up for grabs!
Those with ideas always think ideas are cheap and those without ideas steal.

Srsly, had that done to me in grad school, by a prof no less.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #1182
onuilmar
(w)ride like the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
But then I'd have to kill the plot. Yes, I am in killing form. I know! Let's form a

Love the pitchfork gang. (And yes, I am seeing the theme in your posts.)

Have no idea how to make all the emoticons. I'm still at the smiley , cheesy smile stage myself.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #1183
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Love the pitchfork gang. (And yes, I am seeing the theme in your posts.)

Have no idea how to make all the emoticons. I'm still at the smiley , cheesy smile stage myself.
Muse is all kinds of awesome like that.

Go here for lots of smilies. And then practice on us!

heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #1184
onuilmar
(w)ride like the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Muse is all kinds of awesome like that.

Go here for lots of smilies. And then practice on us!

Ha! First try.

Thanks, Mama Jude! These are great!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #1185
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #1186
muse

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Whoo-Hoo! You found 'em, onuilmar.

(I have the link copied into my favourites. When I open AW I also open the link - simples.)
Old 11-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #1187
onuilmar
(w)ride like the wind

Sure did. Ta-da!

Thanks, guys!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #1188
Stanmiller
practical experience, FTW

Stanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolnessStanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolnessStanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolnessStanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolnessStanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolness
Well, I see you guys are still up to the old tricks (and some new ones). It's good to be back....Now I have to get busy and start writing again.

Stan
Stanmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #1189
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Stan! So good to see you! How've you been? I missed you!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #1190
muse

Welcome back, Stan.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #1191
Stanmiller

Stanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolnessStanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolnessStanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolnessStanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolnessStanmiller leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Stan! So good to see you! How've you been? I missed you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse
Welcome back, Stan.
Thanks. I've been under the weather but am better now. Will "endeavor to persevere", to misquote Chief Dan George.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #1192
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

I'm glad you're better, but sorry you weren't well. Are you writing?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #1193
Stanmiller

Quote:
I'm glad you're better, but sorry you weren't well. Are you writing?
Writing? Easing into it. A couple pages per day while I'm training the Dragon (speech-to-text software). It's coming along, but not as easy as it looks on TV.

Everybody here did OK while I was gone?

The Heart Eater
Redtail - Complete
Guntrain - Complete
The Beaten Zone - Complete.
No title, About 6K, Grounded for now.
Blacktop - WIP
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #1194
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

All good.

How are you liking Dragon?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #1195
Stlight
ideas are floating where they will

Location: where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
Stlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanmiller View Post
Writing? Easing into it. A couple pages per day while I'm training the Dragon (speech-to-text software). It's coming along, but not as easy as it looks on TV.

Everybody here did OK while I was gone?
The hard part is to get the mouth piece positioned just right, like at the edge of your chin, or where your jaw and chin would meet if they weren't one piece.

The hardest part is to learn to talk slow enough to make Dragon happy. le sigh.
Stlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #1196
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
HI STAN! Good to see you back!

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #1197
Stanmiller

Heyjude,
Dragon is waaaay better than Win7 Speech Recognition, but as Stlight says, it requires special attention to cadence and clarity.

History, thanks. BTW, that's a gorgeous pic in your sig line. What is it?

Stlight, the Premium version recognizes Southern US, which helps a bit.

The Heart Eater
Redtail - Complete
Guntrain - Complete
Blacktop - WIP
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #1198
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Stan! Welcome back! I have missed you.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #1199
Stanmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
Stan! Welcome back! I have missed you.
Hi wa, missed you too.

I see you're pubbed now. Woot, woot! Way to go!

Stan

The Heart Eater
Redtail - Complete
Guntrain - Complete
Blacktop - WIP
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #1200
grizzletoad1
Plodding around into things.

grizzletoad1 is well-respected