Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #1851
dragonjax
I write stuff.

dragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputation
If they kill Daryl, I stop watching the show. Full stop.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #1852
night-flyer
flying about searching for cows

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonjax View Post
This^^^^

I know that no one is safe, that's part of what makes the show so interesting, but they had best save him for last. There are lots of other people they can kill first. Not Daryl (or the kids).

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

night-flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #1853
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I will be grievously unhappy. No one will like me if they kill Daryl.

And that was a great episode.
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #1854
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I will be very upset if Daryl, Glen, or Maggie die. They're my faves.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #1855
knporter
figuring it all out

knporter is on a distinguished road
Andrea is definitely becoming the new Lori of the show, meaning she is becoming useless. The whole Lori being eaten scene is up for debate but that is the best part about the show is that no one knows for sure. This season has been amazing... I just can't get enough.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #1856
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-flyer View Post
Not sure if I buy that whole dead smell covering up the fact that she's alive. I mean the body gives off heat and sweat, something a walker doesn't have and they should be able to sense it up close.
Way back in the second or third episode of the first season, Rick and Glenn tried that -- but they put on raincoats and slathered walker guts all over themselves. And even so, it stopped working as soon as a rainshower started washing it off.

One thing I'd want to try is wearing the odor-blocking coveralls made for (incompetent or lazy) deerhunters.

The Woodbury of the tv show is a much nicer place than in the comic. In the book, it's obvious pretty soon that it's a terrible place and that the Governor is a psychopath. I always thought it was a deliberate touch of irony on Kirkland's part -- that the group in the prison was trying to be civilized, while the "civilized" small town was more like a supermax where the inmates had taken over, with the Governor being the meanest, craziest, rapiest inmate. (Seriously, in the comic, instead of having a talk with Michonne, he strips her, hangs her from chains, and tortures and rapes her whenever he gets bored. Sending a team to hunt her down and kill her seems sane by comparison.)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #1857
dragonjax
I write stuff.

dragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputationdragonjax has a golden reputation
Yes, they definitely reined in the Governor's insanity on the television show.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #1858
NewKidOldKid
diplomat

NewKidOldKid has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by knporter View Post
Andrea is definitely becoming the new Lori of the show, meaning she is becoming useless. The whole Lori being eaten scene is up for debate but that is the best part about the show is that no one knows for sure. This season has been amazing... I just can't get enough.
"Becoming" useless?

They'd better not kill Daryl.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #1859
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Speaking of Lori being devoured ... sometimes, both in the show and in comments from the people who make the show, I get the impression that they're talking about walkers digesting food. That would require suspending a little more disbelief than I can manage.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

Last edited by Manuel Royal; 11-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1860
dragonjax
I write stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
Speaking of Lori being devoured ... sometimes, both in the show and in comments from the people who make the show, I get the impression that they're talking about walkers digesting food. That would require suspending a little more disbelief than I can manage.
Yes...but if Walkers don't eat, they get skinny. Michonne's two pack mules were rail thin. And I think this was discussed in one of the TV Guide interviews with the show creators. So not eating = skinny Walker. Which means their bodies do metabolize what they eat somehow, no? Not that I'm willing to get into an argument over the science of zombieism...
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #1861
Tasmin21
Coming July 8th!

Tasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Yes...but if Walkers don't eat, they get skinny. Michonne's two pack mules were rail thin. And I think this was discussed in one of the TV Guide interviews with the show creators. So not eating = skinny Walker. Which means their bodies do metabolize what they eat somehow, no? Not that I'm willing to get into an argument over the science of zombieism...
And the mad scientist guy with the Governor even said that Michonne's pair were starving, they just starve slower than us.

Which begs the question, what happens when they starve all the way? *shrug*
AW2: 5,587/70,000
Tasmin21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #1862
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, if their arms and legs and such work when they're dea, why not their digestive system? If they don't eat? I guess eventually they die all the way. Brain dries up? Maybe that's what happened to those ppl in the cars at the begining of season 2?

I mean, if you cut one of the heads off, it's still alive. But for how long? It can eat, but there's nowhere for the food to go.

Vince524 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #1863
MttStrn
Action is my reward..that and bacon

MttStrn is on a distinguished road
Yay, my second favorite character from the comic is coming. Tyrese has been cast.

http://tvline.com/2012/11/20/walking...leman-tyreese/ They say there are spoilers if you click through. I didn't see any but beware nonetheless.

My favorite from the comic is Andrea but as I've said numerous times, they have ruined her on the show.

Also an interesting article about why one guy thinks Lori might still be alive somehow. I'm behind by two episodes so don't know if he's been proven wrong yet.

http://television.cosmicbooknews.com...=zergnet_36807
MttStrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #1864
Melanie Dawn
Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.

Melanie Dawn has a spectacular auraMelanie Dawn has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MttStrn View Post
Yay, my second favorite character from the comic is coming. Tyrese has been cast.

http://tvline.com/2012/11/20/walking...leman-tyreese/ They say there are spoilers if you click through. I didn't see any but beware nonetheless.

My favorite from the comic is Andrea but as I've said numerous times, they have ruined her on the show.

Also an interesting article about why one guy thinks Lori might still be alive somehow. I'm behind by two episodes so don't know if he's been proven wrong yet.

http://television.cosmicbooknews.com...=zergnet_36807
There is no way Lori is alive, unless Carl lied.
Melanie Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #1865
chrysalnix
practical experience, FTW

chrysalnix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie Dawn View Post

I can't help but wonder if Carl did lie about Lori. I guess I have to actually see the characters die before I believe it. She wasn't my favorite character, but still a shame if she did actually die. Remember how Merle cauterized his own arm? Maybe Lori did something similar to survive?
chrysalnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 AM   #1866
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Digestion -- and building tissue out of what's digested -- require functioning internal organs and a working circulatory system. It requires, well, being alive. Just too much to swallow.

What I'd expect is for a walker, insatiably eating whatever animal he can wrestle down his throat, to gradually get more bloated -- full of rotting, undigested meat -- until he bursts. Which is disgusting.

Now, because I want to keep enjoying the show, I might posit (I guess this would be fanwanking) that walkers do have some kind of vestigial peristalsis that gradually pushes their meals through their bodies. (Filling their filthy pants with undigested, rotting animal and/or human parts.) Though you'd think Daryl would have commented on walker spoor.

We might also suppose walkers gradually grow thinner by simple dehydration.

All this, of course, is ignoring whatever utterly mysterious agent gets them upright and walking. Without respiration and blood circulation, their muscles can't be working the way a living person's do; the chemical mechanism must be quite different.

On a different subject -- whenever, in a movie or show, I see a bad guy (and I think we can call Merle a bad guy at this point) holding a hostage, gun to her head, but with his own face exposed, I wonder why the good guy (in this case Glenn) doesn't take the shot.

Then again, I've never had to try and make a trick shot while full of adrenaline and terrified at the possible imminent death of someone I care about. Also, Glenn's probably never committed an act of violence against a living person in his life. (Whereas Merle seems to be real comfortable with doing so.)

Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #1867
Melanie Dawn
Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.

Melanie Dawn has a spectacular auraMelanie Dawn has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalnix View Post
I can't help but wonder if Carl did lie about Lori. I guess I have to actually see the characters die before I believe it. She wasn't my favorite character, but still a shame if she did actually die. Remember how Merle cauterized his own arm? Maybe Lori did something similar to survive?
god don't say that! I want her to stay dead... at least Carol is alive.
Melanie Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #1868
Vince524
Will write for bacon!

Vince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVince524 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post

On a different subject -- whenever, in a movie or show, I see a bad guy (and I think we can call Merle a bad guy at this point) holding a hostage, gun to her head, but with his own face exposed, I wonder why the good guy (in this case Glenn) doesn't take the shot.

Then again, I've never had to try and make a trick shot while full of adrenaline and terrified at the possible imminent death of someone I care about. Also, Glenn's probably never committed an act of violence against a living person in his life. (Whereas Merle seems to be real comfortable with doing so.)
This I can answer. That would be an extremely difficult shot to make with a hand gun for someone like Glen who although may be a good shot with all the practice he's had, isn't about to be able to make it and not be at a greater risk of hitting Maggie who's in front of Merle. His hand wouldn't be 100% steady, Merle wouldn't be standing perfectly still and Maggie would also be moving.

There's a reason why police officers are taught to shoot for center body mass.

On the other hand, he shouldn't have surrendered his weapon. As long as he keeps his weapon on Merle, it's a standstill. If Merle kills Maggie, Glen kills Merle. Merle would therefore not shoot Maggie. It's a standoff. Of course, on TV, this never happens.

Vince524 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #1869
maggi90w1
CAVE!

maggi90w1 has a spectacular auramaggi90w1 has a spectacular aura
Quote:
There is no way Lori is alive, even if Carl didn't shoot her. Nobody survives a c-section without proper surgical care and meds. She would have bled to death in a matter of minutes.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #1870
Sydneyd
Aye, ye scurvy dog!

Sydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggi90w1 View Post
There is no way Lori is alive, even if Carl didn't shoot her. Nobody survives a c-section without proper surgical care and meds. She would have bled to death in a matter of minutes.
I think this is why they haven't opted for showing us the gruesome details. Walker world or not, no one is surviving that. Though, now that I think about it, I remember that being a plot point in Spartacus, back when I use to watch it.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #1871
Shoestring
The Power Pixie! > Rebooting...

Shoestring is a shiny, shiny jewelShoestring is a shiny, shiny jewel
I echo everyone else about Daryl. He's the only one I've let myself get attached to, which made this last episode overly stressful for me. All I could think of was when a zombie was gonna jump out of nowhere and gnaw on the poor guy. I like to enjoy my shows; not be stressed out by them. As for everyone else, let 'em die; makes no difference to me.

Of course, this all means that Daryle will be dead next episode. And I'm kinda hoping that Merle dies or something before finding Daryl, because at this point all I can imagine coming from such a reunion is an extra episode of unneeded drama. Daryl's not remotely the same person he was when Merle got separated from the group, and in this day and age I have a hard time believing that 'brotherly bonds' would be enough to make Daryl leave the group. Because there is no chance that Merle's joining it. I might stop watching if that happens; either that or the writers better make it darned believable.

Show of hands: Who here was kindsortamaybealittlebit hoping that Rick shot Michonne when he saw her through the fence? Even though you knew there was no way it could happen?

Shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #1872
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthood
Good grief, someone smacked Andrea with the stupid stick a few too many times. I get her attraction to Shane, but this yahoo?

I like where it left off and am excited to see Rick and Michonne interact.

YAY for Carol!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #1873
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

It occurs to me that Merle's stump cover-bayonet combo works like a short pata (the Indian gauntlet sword). (The actor, Michael Rooker, refers to the weapon as "Little Merle".)

Old 11-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #1874
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
IS IT SUNDAY YET?!
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #1875
angeluscado
practical experience, FTW

angeluscado is on a distinguished road
If Daryl dies, my house is not going to be a happy place for a few days.

Man, I hope Glenn and Maggie end up okay - I like both of them, Glenn because he's awesome and Maggie because I liked Lauren Cohan when she was on Supernatural.

Can't wait for the next episode, sad that we're almost halfway through the season already and I'm going to be sad when it goes on hiatus in a few months

I haz a twitter
Even though I don't tweet, just follow people...
I blog... kinda
angeluscado is offline   Reply With Quote