Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Animals & Nature
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
D.Owczarek
practical experience, FTW

D.Owczarek has a spectacular auraD.Owczarek has a spectacular aura
Which dog story would you rather read?

Now that my novel is finished and on sub, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to work on next. I wrote a memoir about one of my dogs, which needs a re-write, and I'm also considering writing a different memoir about one of my past rescues. I'm really having a hard time deciding, and I was hoping to get some insight on which might be the better way to spend my time, and I was trying to get some opinions on which story you would you rather read:

(1) A funny story about a woman who spends years taking her disobedient dog to a dozen trainers trying to make her dog into something he wasn't.

(2) A tearjerker about a couple who adopted an abused dog with behavioral and health issues because they thought they could give him a better life, but inadvertently made him worse.

Also, if neither one sounds interesting, I'd like to know that too. Thanks for any insight!

D.Owczarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

1 sounds like it'll annoy the living hell out of me. I can't stand people who can't raise their dogs/children and complain about their own mistakes, reflected on their "children". I apologize , but I had to say it.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
D.Owczarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post

1 sounds like it'll annoy the living hell out of me. I can't stand people who can't raise their dogs/children and complain about their own mistakes, reflected on their "children". I apologize , but I had to say it.
Don't apologize. I'm looking for honesty and I got it. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

HarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One all the way!

But then again ...

Your choices sound like two sides of a similar coin -- both interesting. So why not combine them and work some of that doggy-tragi-comee magic? By doing this you'd have plenty of laughs and plenty of tears meaning a much fuller and more engaging novel.

The only problem I can see is that the satirising human behaviour through the way people treat their dogs has already been done -- and done bloody well -- in the film Best In Show.

That said, if you combined the sad and the humorous you might be rocking a different formula.

Woof!

You need not mean what you say, but you must say what you mean - Afrit
HarryHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
Niniva
Life is just a bowl of cherries...

Niniva is a shiny, shiny jewelNiniva is a shiny, shiny jewel
I don't care for sad. So, I'd be more likely to read #1, particularly if it is something like someone trying to get obedience out of a Pyrenees...
Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
D.Owczarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHoskins View Post
One all the way!

But then again ...

Your choices sound like two sides of a similar coin -- both interesting. So why not combine them and work some of that doggy-tragi-comee magic? By doing this you'd have plenty of laughs and plenty of tears meaning a much fuller and more engaging novel.

The only problem I can see is that the satirising human behaviour through the way people treat their dogs has already been done -- and done bloody well -- in the film Best In Show.

That said, if you combined the sad and the humorous you might be rocking a different formula.

Woof!
Thanks. I actually tried that the first time round, and it just didn't work as well as I had hoped. (Two different dogs, two different time periods, not much to relate the two)

Old 08-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
D.Owczarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niniva View Post
I don't care for sad. So, I'd be more likely to read #1, particularly if it is something like someone trying to get obedience out of a Pyrenees...
Not a Pyrenees, although I could see why that would be interesting.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

HarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Owczarek View Post
Thanks. I actually tried that the first time round, and it just didn't work as well as I had hoped. (Two different dogs, two different time periods, not much to relate the two)
Ghost dogs at a haunted training centre? :eyebrowpopsmiley:

You need not mean what you say, but you must say what you mean - Afrit
HarryHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
D.Owczarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHoskins View Post
Ghost dogs at a haunted training centre? :eyebrowpopsmiley:
That's great. I know some deceased dogs who would love to wreak havoc on some really nasty trainers....

Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthoodRoxxsmom is a candidate for sainthood
I'd say the first one sounds like a happier read

A bit like Marley and Me, actually, which was very popular.

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd vote for 1. Sounds like it could be fun!
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
taichiquan.panda
not the popular one and ok with it

taichiquan.panda is on a distinguished road
Definitely # 1.

We have 2 dachshunds, a female who's 8 and a male who's almost 7. Our female is a rescue we've had for 6 years, and she is the sweetest, most lovable dog. Our male we've had since he was a pup, and he's the most stubborn dog I've ever seen. After training, medications, aromatherapy, and exercise till we both fall down, the best behavioral modification tool we found is a squirt gun. Seriously.

http://paradachs.blogspot.com

Last edited by taichiquan.panda; 08-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.
taichiquan.panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #13
D.Owczarek

Thanks everyone. Number 1 is actually the one I originally trunked, and it still not coming out the way I had hoped, so I trunked it again. Maybe one day I will re-write it again from scratch and see if that helps, rather than constantly fiddling with what I have already written.

taichiquan.panda - your 7 yr old daschund sounds a lot like my Lab - the one the book is about. My girls are both SO much easier. :-) Maybe it's a male thing?!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
StephanieFox
Maybull the Bulldog

StephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthood
I stopped reading dog fiction when I was 10 years old. My mom asked why and I told her that the dog always died in the end. My mom was trying to teach me about life, I guess, and said to me, "Honey, dogs do die."

"Yeah," I said. "People die, too. My the main human character in every novel doesn't die in the end."

So, I'd read either if the dog didn't die in the end. (I'd like to see a happy ending, either way.)

Two months ago I couldn't even spell freelance writer
and now I are one.

StephanieFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #15
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputationMyrealana has a golden reputation
I'd vote for 1 - especially if it were told from the dog's POV.

I always imagine my dog is mocking me behind my back when I'm trying to train her.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
1, but it would still annoy me. 2 would be too much of a downer.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
Liralen
Miss Conceived

Liralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrealana View Post
I'd vote for 1 - especially if it were told from the dog's POV.

I always imagine my dog is mocking me behind my back when I'm trying to train her.
From the dog's point of view is a great idea!

As far as your dog mocking you . . . I have a Fila. I've had three -- all bitches. Believe it, they're mocking you, lol.

No true, self-respecting Fila will EVER win an obedience title -- and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Can you find the Pitbull?

WIP ~ The Black Dog Dialogues: At the raw, dark fringes of exhaustion, there is The Black Dog
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #18
Raspberry
Germlish Speaker

Raspberry is on a distinguished road
No idea whether the originator of this thread is still around, but there is book about (1) published in Germany. Just saying.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
D.Owczarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry View Post
No idea whether the originator of this thread is still around.
I haven't been to the forum in some time, but happened to pop by and see that this thread is still active. Thanks everyone for the thoughts...

In the end, I decided to keep the original dog memoir in the trunk, forget about writing a new one, and I moved on to a second novel. I just couldn't wrap my head around an idea that I was one hundred percent on board with, so I figured it'd be better to - not to be too corny - just let sleeping dogs lie.