Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > TIO
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
Magdalen
Petulantly Penitent

Magdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm no flag-waving patriot, but I call bullshit on this. This piece of work smacks of diatribe & appears, itself as a mini-screed, without much poetic integrity.

Actual bleeding hearts will recognize the significance of this incident as having little to do with geography and ever so much to do with modern attitudes toward mental disabilities & illness.

Agree with PIAH, Kie & Amby's crits.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's become obvious to me that this was never intended to be a poem for critique. It's nothing more than a rant. And now it resides where all passive-aggressive threads go to die.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Stewie's Come Out of the Closet
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
cray
thread stalker
SuperModerator

cray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley View Post
I urge you and Ambrosia to keep your eye on the main event. It's not me or my poem, ...

you posted your thing in the poetry lab (a section designated for critique) for what then?

come on, foley, enough bs.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #29
Foley
ever decreasing circles

Foley is a shiny, shiny jewelFoley is a shiny, shiny jewel
Magdalen, cray, this whole thing really upsets me. My hurt is genuine, not least because I'm acutely aware of what the Newtown parents must be going through. I sat through my daughter's recitation of Frost's Stopping by Woods at her school carol recital yesterday and it was all I could do not to break down completely. I wasn't the only parent there struggling with their emotions, this event has touched people all over the world.

Your assumptions of my insincerity also hurt me, but I can take that. Perhaps I brought it on myself. I fear my own shock obscured my ability to express myself appropriately and I regret posting the 'poem' now.

cray, the comment you quote wasn't in response to any poetry critique, it was addressed to the other points posters sent my way.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #30
kborsden
Has a few recurring issues

kborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Wow! In a discussion about the massacre of innocents in Newtown your most extreme expression of sadness is a reaction to an accusation of egotism?
Ever heard of sarcasm?

Now, I apologize if I upset you, but my initial post was an honest critique of your poem which did not make any accusation or attempt at personal attack. I critiqued your poem on the points you yourself brought forward in reaction to another critique and then made statement as to why the reactions from others were as they were -- you are the one who has constantly attacked others and created this cycle of defensive-offence.

As for empathy and feeling for the parents of those who are now no longer with us. Don't you dare! I am fully aware of the implications of the English language, so cut the bullshit and listen to me -- there is no greater pain for any parent than to have to bury their own child, this I know and own. If you'd have taken the time to get to know those who critique your work, and you can get to know them very well through their works offered here at AW, you'd be aware of not just who we are, but what drives us to write what we do. There'd be no question of sincerity.

Got to write an Englyn or 2

Last edited by kborsden; 12-18-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #31
Foley
ever decreasing circles

Is this an appropriate subject for your sarcasm?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #32
cray
thread stalker
SuperModerator

cray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscray is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
you posted for a critique but it seems clear that you're after more than a critique.
that is the issue and that is the reason people are coming at you.

it's seems like you want a reaction to the event or a discussion - that's cool too. look around this board because there are several places those discussions are taking place.

don't be upset.

we get that everyone was touched by this tragedy and that it elicits strong emotions.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #33
kborsden
Has a few recurring issues

kborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskborsden is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Is this an appropriate subject for your sarcasm?
Is it an appropriate subject to warrant a response to your further trolling? And just how far into that same post did you actually read?

Got to write an Englyn or 2
Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #34
Foley
ever decreasing circles

cray, when it's done right, poetry (and art in general) can represent and inspire deep understanding and contemplation of serious issues, in my opinion more so than political fora!

Obviously I didn't do this right, as I say, I regret posting it now, but my intention was to express my hurt and open my subjective response to discussion, that's why I chose the poetry board to post on rather than the politics board. In that sense the poetry crits were helpful.

kbordsen, I'm not trolling. This really isn't about you.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #35
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And with that, we're done here.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Stewie's Come Out of the Closet
Closed Thread