Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Writing for Content Sites
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Increase google pr?

Hi. Whenever I try to get someone to do an interview or post, they always check my google pr and say no because my pr is 0. I'm wondering how to increase that to at least 1. I guest blog in a few places so I get good backlinks and I've linked to my blog in a number of different places. I also have more followers than one blog I follow which has a pr of 2. I don't really understand why my pr is bad (the first blog in sig). How come blogs which seem to be less popular than mine have a higher pr? I don't really know how google pr works, so what can I do to increase it? Please help!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Awww. No advice?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You need to get high pr sites to link to you... And wait. Overt pr only updates periodically
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What veinglory said.

You want quality incoming links.

The best way to get them is to participate in the conversation, and thereby, build community.

You comment on smart, interesting posts on related (and even unrelated blogs). Not just with a "me too," but actually engaging in the conversation. You include your link via the usual form, but you don't pimp your blog. You're a visitor in someone's living room; be polite.

If you're engaged, and interesting, people will check you out. And participate in YOUR conversation, and maybe, link to you in a post.

And you link to other on topic, appropriate smart posts on other people's blogs. Again, this is participating in the conversation, and in a genuine way. Don't just link-drop, or pimp your blog. No one likes a "link whore."

Make sure you're writing as carefully, and real, as you can in your posts. Link to other related posts. Use descriptive text in your links, and use specific post titles.

And good luck.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Last edited by Medievalist; 10-03-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

Thank you both so much!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
jkkaplan
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

jkkaplan is on a distinguished road
Thanks Medievalist, I was just going to say 'get good links' but you had a great answer. I definitely learned something new.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
creativewriting
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

creativewriting is on a distinguished road
You mainly need to build relevant links to your site. However, PR doesn't mean as much as it used to back in 08'.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Webman33569
figuring it all out

Webman33569 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativewriting View Post
You mainly need to build relevant links to your site. However, PR doesn't mean as much as it used to back in 08'.
I agree, relevant quality links is the key, along with time.
insaneblogging.com
Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 AM   #9
SkyDancer
figuring it all out

SkyDancer is on a distinguished road
As mentioned before, quality backlinks contribute to a higher Google PR. Which means: links from pages with a high Google PR count more than links from pages with a lower Google PR. It's a complicated system and it might have changed since the last time I was directly involved in that topic, but that's one of the things I think they didn't change.

Also, usually it is worth more if a backlink comes from a website with a high PR which a) doesn't have many backlinks and b) where the link to your site isn't listed as one of many, such as a link collection, blog roll or something like that.

What is your site/blog about? If it is about a special topic, it is usually better if the link to your site isn't just the name of your site, but rather a descriptive sentence with a few topic-relevant keywords. Example: the hyperlink Learn more about green table spoons would be better for you if one of your website's focus is table spoons than the name of your website: DinnerTableHaven.com. (Hope you get the idea.)

There are several websites out there where you can advertise your blog for free and put it into a certain category along with a description. Have you tried that already?

The most important thing is and remains content, though. If you have some advice to offer or something like that, why don't you put it into a nice .pdf-file and make it available for a free download? (Just a suggestion.)

As I said before, I'm not really uptodate with the latest Google PR and SEO developments, but I think all of the things above still apply.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Dazopaul
Banned

Dazopaul is on a distinguished road
Make sure you're composing as properly, and actual, as you can in your content. Weblink to other relevant content. Use illustrative written text in your hyperlinks, and use particular publish headings. . . . . .
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #11
Samball49
practical experience, FTW

Samball49 is on a distinguished road
Quality links from your friends in the blogging community always help!