Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > International District
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #3276
SkyeOhWhy
hopelessly devoted to crumpets

SkyeOhWhy is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
Thanks. 

I'm trying to get book 1 of the comedic UF series edited, and will soon be editing the SF/F thriller. I'm intending on self-e-pubbing both before I go back to Uni, so I have about 2.5 months right now. Thankfully, the drafts had been finished.

If I have time, I'll finish the first draft of the 2nd in the comedic series. I won't be able to upload that until the middle of the year though, due to the expected amount of homework. No way can I get it finished AND edited before I go back next year...
Good luck with your e-pubbing! I just finished Uni this year, so I know how handy the long summer holidays are for writing projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky_s View Post
I mainly read fantasy / sci-fi and was planning on writing a fantasty novel. It immediately turned itself into a modern day thriller. Oh well, it seems to be working.
Haha, don't you love it when a story just runs away and takes on a life of its own?

(YA Fantasy Random House AU)

TwitterFacebookWebsite

SkyeOhWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #3277
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks.

And yeah, I've been trying to get as much done as possible over this break. About 1 month into it, and I've got a fair bit done... Not as much as I was hoping, though. My plans have changed a bit this month - previously I was trying to get a trilogy out there. Now it's book 1 of the trilogy (well, series really) and 1 stand-alone out there.

Still a lot to do!
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #3278
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to behold
If you, like me, are seeing the google ad for "Balboa Press" and your "free publishing guide" ignore it. They are scam artists like Xlibris and Author Solutions (they are all the same multinational scamming vanity publisher and will harass you endlessly for money and rob you blind.) A disabled relative of mine was conned by these unscrupulous people they took $5000 off him and gave him nothing in return. They promise a refund if you want to cancel with them, but they don't honor it.

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/

Last edited by gingerwoman; 12-23-2012 at 12:46 PM.
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #3279
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is Balboa listed in Bewares And Background Checks? It might be an idea to share that story there if there isn't already a thread about it.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #3280
SkyeOhWhy

Just popping in quickly to say Merry Christmas/ Happy Hols to all, and a Happy New Year!
(I'm pretending the crown on this smiley is a paper hat)

TwitterFacebookWebsite

Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #3281
Cliff Face

Yes, Merry Christmas Australia! I know it's nearly over... But I've been away from the computer for like, 12 hours. Eek!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #3282
franky_s
practical experience, FTW

franky_s is on a distinguished road
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years everyone.

SkyeOhWhy, I love your improvised paper hat!
franky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #3283
cooeedownunder
Grateful for the day

cooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Merry Xmas guys and I hope you all have a great New Year! xxx

Help raise awareness for my missing sister, Tracey, by joining her facebook page - A Missing Person

FACEBOOK Blog Goodreads
------------------------------------

A Woman Transported Kindle

Unforgivable Kindle
cooeedownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #3284
Cliff Face

So... how is 2013 treating you all so far?

For me, it's been somewhat productive (though not enough) but HOT!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #3285
franky_s

Hi Cliff Face!

Quote:
So... how is 2013 treating you all so far?

For me, it's been somewhat productive (though not enough) but HOT!
Was there any part of the country that didn't near 30 degrees today?

My year's off to a flying start. I was aiming to write 15K words by the end of Jan and I'm already up to 4500.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #3286
Cliff Face

Nice work on the wordage.

As for the country getting past 30 degrees... In Adelaide, it was over 40.

*dies*
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #3287
SkyeOhWhy

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in a while; I'm neck-deep in copyedits and my deadline is rapidly approaching. Hope everyone had an awesome NYE & 2013 is treating you well so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky_s View Post
My year's off to a flying start. I was aiming to write 15K words by the end of Jan and I'm already up to 4500.
Ooh, congrats!

Quote:
As for the country getting past 30 degrees... In Adelaide, it was over 40.

*dies*
I usually enjoy hot weather, but I have to admit this summer has been crazy. I bought a massive pack of tubes to freeze, which helps a lot on the hottest days (and brings back memories of the primary school canteen!)

TwitterFacebookWebsite

Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #3288
Cliff Face

Tubes, as in those Sooper Dooper type ice blocks that are sold as a liquid in a tube, and then you put them in the freezer and bam, ice block?

I remember those. My best friend from the age of 5 to 10 used to have those all the time. Actually, I saw some in the shops a couple of days ago. Blast from the past!

Anyone affected by the bushfires? There was some pretty intense footage on the news for about 4 nights in a row here, but no bushfires our way.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #3289
SkyeOhWhy

Quote:
Tubes, as in those Sooper Dooper type ice blocks that are sold as a liquid in a tube, and then you put them in the freezer and bam, ice block?
Yep! They're taking up half my freezer at the moment, but you can't beat them for a sugar (and nostalgia) rush on hot days.

TwitterFacebookWebsite

Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #3290
Cliff Face

Nice.

I bought ice cream for the first time in years the other day. Bulla Splits. Yummo. I think the freezer might not be turned cold enough, though, because when I eat them, they're really soft and kind of runny.

I like them like that, but considering I eat them while watching DVDs on my laptop... Yeah, I can see the drippiness ending in tragedy.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #3291
cooeedownunder
Grateful for the day

cooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes, very hot here, but fortunately, being right opposite the water, not as hot as others. I have dreaded putting on my TV, and well, haven't a great deal. I see there were really horrible fires in TAS, ah, but I haven't heard of deaths...so thanks for that.

When the temperatures hit this high, well, no wonder we aren't here often, but guys, all take care....summer thankfully will be over shortly, and we generally don't have to worry about horrible winters, oh, apart from floods.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Help raise awareness for my missing sister, Tracey, by joining her facebook page - A Missing Person

FACEBOOK Blog Goodreads
------------------------------------

A Woman Transported Kindle

Unforgivable Kindle
cooeedownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #3292
SkyeOhWhy

Hope you're all coping ok with the latest heatwave (46 in Sydney the other day? Yikes!) and aren't affected by the fires. It's sobering to think there's still over a month of summer to go.

This is a bit of a random question, but has anyone here done a PHD (or know someone who has)? I finished Uni last year and I'm seriously considering academia as a career option, although I've heard some horror stories about the casualisation of the workforce. Any thoughts/ opinions regarding what it's actually like to live as a PHD student in Australia?

TwitterFacebookWebsite

Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #3293
Cliff Face

Sorry, I'm still doing my bachelors, and don't know anyone with a PhD.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #3294
SkyeOhWhy

Oh well, thanks anyway! I might go and talk to my Honours supervisor.

Hope everyone in this thread is well & making progress with any summer writing goals.

TwitterFacebookWebsite

Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #3295
Cliff Face

I was making great progress up until Christmas... Since then it's tapered off a bit.

Just need to push through this final editing pass for TEC, then I can reward myself with writing some fresh words. I wrote a 3k short story the other day, and it was the best I've felt in a long time, just writing for a few hours.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #3296
fredXgeorge
I heart sexy elves and wizards.

fredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewelfredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewel
Happy Australia Day all! So proud to be from the best country in the world

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
- J.K. Rowling
fredXgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #3297
Cliff Face

Happy Australia Day!

I spent 11 hours with family, having a BBQ lunch and then playing a shitload of cards with the cricket playing in the background.

Zonked now. Must sleep!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #3298
Amberly

Amberly is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has any comps or conferences on the 2013 agenda?

Amaranth: YA Urban Fantasy.
NightWish Chronicles: YA Urban fantasy.
Kemla book 1, 2 and 3: YA Medieval Fantasy, being blogged.
Saphryon: YA Fantasy.
Survivor of the Rain: YA contemporary.
Death Dancer: YA Medieval Fantasy WIP...
Amberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #3299
Cliff Face

The only competition I know about is right here on AW, in the Contests forum - UnValentine's. I've written my first draft and edited it a few times, but haven't submitted yet.

It's a short story competition, a comedic take on Valentine's Day, up to 5k in length.

Apart from that... No, nothing planned, apart from going to Uni, editing, and submitting novels to agents.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #3300
franky_s

I found this website: http://www.austwriters.com/AWRfiles/competitions.htm a few weeks ago.
I really want to concentrate on my novel at the moment but I'm pretty keen to enter one of these later on in the year.