Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Networking: Sharing Leads
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
merlot143
practical experience, FTW

merlot143 is on a distinguished road
Literary agents outside of New York?

Seems like the vast majority are in NY. Are there any decent ones in cities like Chicago?
merlot143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you're worried about having an agent close to you - don't. Email's made distance pretty much a non-issue. Most agents are in NYC because that's where the big publishers are and it allows them to meet with editors in person.

Having said that, my agent's in California, and there's a great agency in Denver. The bigger concern is finding one who represents your sort of writing, and then finding the one of those who loves what you send them.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My agent is in Toronto and she's awesome. Most are in New York, but with the increased ease of cyber-communication, it's not as vital that everyone be up each other's noses all the time.

What is important is that the agent has established relationships with the editors and houses that are suitable for your work.
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
merlot143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
My agent is in Toronto and she's awesome. Most are in New York, but with the increased ease of cyber-communication, it's not as vital that everyone be up each other's noses all the time.

What is important is that the agent has established relationships with the editors and houses that are suitable for your work.
Hey, I'm in Toronto. Who's your agent? I might know/know of her.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Amy Moore-Benson. She's terrific in every way.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
merlot143

Quote:
Amy Moore-Benson. She's terrific in every way.
Strange, I haven't heard of her. Who is she with?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

She runs a small boutique agency, AMB Literary Management.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
Browne & Miller is based in Chicago.

http://www.browneandmiller.com/

I wrote UNTEACHABLE, a New Adult Romance.
My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
MandyHubbard
Once Upon a Time....

MandyHubbard is well-respected
You can run a search by state on querytracker.net

There are major angencies in San Diego, L.A, I'm in Seattle--as are Kristin and Bree, two other agents with my agency--Denver, Atlanta, Boston, etc, etc.
MandyHubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
Jess Haines
Boldly going nowhere in particular.

Jess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for President
QFT:

Quote:
The agent's location shouldn't matter. Their contacts and track record are much more important.

That said, my agent is based in D.C.

"It doesn't get much better for pure urban fantasy than Jess Haines." --All Things Urban Fantasy

Forsaken by the Others: Coming July 2, 2013
Jess Haines is offline   Reply With Quote