Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Critical Theory and Philosophy of Language
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
ColoradoGuy
I've seen worse.
SuperModerator

ColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Links with info about lit critters

I think it's helpful to have a sticky with links people think are particularly helpful for understanding some of the assorted lit critters and movements we're discussing. I'll start with these. Please chime in with others.
  1. Paul de Man. His reputation suffered when some anti-semitic things he wrote during WWII came to light after his death, but he's still one of the biggies.
  2. Jacques Derrida. The godfather of deconstruction. Major post-structuralist
  3. Jacques Lacan. The guy who made Freud legit again.
  4. Stanley Fish. The big name in reader-response theory.
  5. Michel Foucault. Particularly known for his examinations of prisons, madness, and sexuality. Major post-structuralist
  6. Ferdinand de Saussure. Often said to be the father of modern linguistic studies and semiotics (the study of signs).
  7. Claude Levi-Strauss. Actually an anthropologist, his structuralist analysis became popular with critters.
  8. Roland Barthes . Major structuralist.
  9. New Criticism. A point of view emphasizing the text in isolation.
  10. New Historicism. The inevitable reaction to New Criticism.

My books, website, and blog
ColoradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
Higgins
Banned

Higgins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for President
Some additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGuy View Post
I think it's helpful to have a sticky with links people think are particularly helpful for understanding some of the assorted lit critters and movements we're discussing. I'll start with these. Please chime in with others.

Oh dear....New Criticism? New Historicism? Those are just going to be painful. (As are Stanley Fish and Paul de Man).

How about...

Mary Douglas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Douglas

G. Spivak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayatri_Chakravorty_Spivak

Julia Kristeva: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Kristeva

Elinor S. Shaffer http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...n%3D0521298075 ....she seems to be working more on science and literature these days. Anyway...very brilliant and not much of a POMO or structuralist....just brilliant.

Last edited by Higgins; 02-19-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
ColoradoGuy
I've seen worse.
SuperModerator

ColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsColoradoGuy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokal View Post
Oh dear....New Criticism? New Historicism? Those are just going to be painful. (As are Stanley Fish and Paul de Man).
To you, perhaps. I'd beware of too many Wiki links, by the way.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
Higgins
Banned

Higgins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for President
Why what happens with Wikkilinks?

Quote:
To you, perhaps. I'd beware of too many Wiki links, by the way.
What is the problem with Wiki links? I only use ones that I've looked at to make sure they are not insane.

I wish I could have found a Wiki-style link for Elinor S. Saffer....

Last edited by Higgins; 02-19-2007 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
ColoradoGuy
I've seen worse.
SuperModerator

Quote:
What is the problem with Wiki links? I only use ones that I've looked at to make sure they are not insane.
Oh, well -- if you've approved them, then I'm quite satisfied they're just fine.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm all for explication de texte, and am perfectly willing to duel over it . . . and yeah, New Criticism, taken to the extreme, is just as daft as any other technique taken to the extreme.

And if you've not read de Man in French, you haven't read him.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
Higgins
Banned

And I was so sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
I'm all for explication de texte, and am perfectly willing to duel over it . . . and yeah, New Criticism, taken to the extreme, is just as daft as any other technique taken to the extreme.

And if you've not read de Man in French, you haven't read him.

Come on! Ya gotta go ape over the New Criticism! It has only been dead and gone for the last 60 years....but it is exactly what everybody gets taught in creative writing classes, but only through some indirect source, apparently, or so I would guess.

Hmmm...nice about Paul de Man. I didn't want to read him anyway and now I haven't.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #8
ColoradoGuy
I've seen worse.
SuperModerator

Quote:
Come on! Ya gotta go ape over the New Criticism! It has only been dead and gone for the last 60 years..
It is often useful, even interesting, to know what has gone before.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
Cath
Rawr
AW Moderator

Cath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCath is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for posting these, folks. I've got some reading to do!

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
Wilfred Owen in a letter home.
Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Certain_Entropy
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Certain_Entropy is on a distinguished road
You should add Slavoj Zizek. He's a neo Lacanian and writes about everything theses day, from psychoanalyzing The Usual Suspects to framing the US in ideological coordinates of capitialism.

"What then is truth? A movable host of metaphors, metonymies, and anthropomorphisms: in short, a sum of human relations which have been poetically and rhetorically intensified, transferred, and embellished, and which, after long usage, seem to a people to be fixed, canonical, and binding. " - Nietzsche
Certain_Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
Alexruns
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Alexruns is on a distinguished road
Ooo this thread is really interesting - i did a course in philosophy of language or ordinary language philosphy as its sometimes called or 20th analytical philosophy! Take your pick!!We looked at Wittengenstein a lot, Bertrand Russell in particular his book The Problems of Philosophy and A J Ayre - although i didnt pay this much for my copy!!
Alexruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
AMCrenshaw

AMCrenshaw is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAMCrenshaw is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAMCrenshaw is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAMCrenshaw is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAMCrenshaw is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAMCrenshaw is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAMCrenshaw is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAMCrenshaw is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ricoeur

Time and Narrative

M.M. Bakhtin
Walter Benjamin
Jean Baudrillard
Noam Chomsky

(will work on finding links for these others)

AMC
AMCrenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #13
GOTHOS
practical experience, FTW

GOTHOS is on a distinguished road
I'll recommend this blog on the work of my "main critic," Northrop Frye.

http://fryeblog.blog.lib.mcmaster.ca/
Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
ColoradoGuy
I've seen worse.
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHOS View Post
I'll recommend this blog on the work of my "main critic," Northrop Frye.

http://fryeblog.blog.lib.mcmaster.ca/
I still like Frye, although I understand he's quite unfashionable now.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
GOTHOS
practical experience, FTW

GOTHOS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I still like Frye, although I understand he's quite unfashionable now.
My impression is that Frye came at the crux of a "literature as myth" meme that got started in the early part of the century, but that after that Marxist and Freudian hermeneutics became entrenched as the only way to properly critique art/literature.

Frederic Jameson, who unlike many Marxists might have the intelligence to properly critique Frye, botched the job in his POLITICAL UNCONSCIOUS. It's easier to ignore Frye than to refute him these days.