Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Historical Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #101
pdr
Banned

pdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Er...

do you have a year to listen c.e.?

Life frantic as ever. Organising a co-op group for epublishing right now. A great adventure!
pdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #102
Raula
practical experience, FTW

Raula is on a distinguished road
Hey, I'm Laura. I haven't been active on the forums at all in the past three months since I've been completing my teacher training. I now have a job for September as a real life History teacher so can focus on my novel once again.

My novel is set in the seventeenth century, at the brink of the English Civil War. It's essentially a 'love triangle' plot with more substance and lots of political intrigue. I have been re-reading it recently and quite like it :-)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #103
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi Raula - Glad to see you pop in. Liking what we write is essential - and a wonderful feeling. Puma
Old 06-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #104
Cristin_B
figuring it all out

Cristin_B is on a distinguished road
Hi Everyone,

I've been absent for a while too, mostly because of an international move (I'm not in Nigeria anymore, but haven't gotten to changing my avatar).

This has been an interesting thread. It's cool to see what a diverse group there is on this forum.

I recently finished my novel set in 3rd century Armenia, Persia, and Rome. Now I'm researching for my next, a middle grade historical fantasy about a Persian boy who discovers he may be something more than mortal. The magi are trying to kill him and he discovers the chief of the magi is plotting to assassinate the emperor and assume the throne. Kind of Percy Jackson set 2,500 years ago.
Cristin_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #105
Flicka
Dull Old Person

Flicka is a glorious beacon of lightFlicka is a glorious beacon of lightFlicka is a glorious beacon of light
Checking in to see how everyone is doing as 2012 draws to a close and we're getting ready for the holidays.

My writing just tanked because this year has been beyond horrid, personally. I'm starting out 2013 with a clean slate and a new idea.

It's a sort of adventure on the fringes of the Great Game, set in India in 1889. I have a basic idea and some characters, but I'm a long way from beginning to actually write it because I need to plot it (I'm a snowflaker) and I have eons of research to do (including, possibly, a trip to India). That's why I started a new blog - http://belleepoqueexplorer.blogspot.com - to help me stay motivated with research and sort of commit.

I always like to define my project as X meets Y, and this could be Dorothy Dunnett meets Flashman, or Amelia Peabody meets Kipling or... I'm sure I'm going to come up with a zillion similes in the near future!

"She had not character enough to take to drinking, and moaned about, slipshod and in curl-papers all day"
Flicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #106
mayqueen

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Flicka, that sounds really cool. I hope your research and plotting both go well!

I'm wrapping up querying my 11th England thriller. I got some good requests and some passes. I'm waiting to hear back on an R&R. Otherwise, unless I magically discover some pock of agents I haven't queried, that's it for this project.

I just finished the first draft of my WIP set in 10th century Ireland. So I'm hoping to whip that into querying shape in the next few months. And start something new.

The good thing to come out of 2012 is that I understand the querying game now and I'm not afraid of it anymore. : )
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #107
Tom from UK
Third time's the charm

Tom from UK is a glorious beacon of lightTom from UK is a glorious beacon of lightTom from UK is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayqueen View Post
The good thing to come out of 2012 is that I understand the querying game now and I'm not afraid of it anymore. : )
Oh good.

Can you explain it to me?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:37 AM   #108
DianeL

DianeL is well-respected
I completed the revision on "The Ax and the Vase" and am back to querying myself. Today, received the confirmation of my submission for the Best Unpublished Novel contest I entered recently. Have finally turned creative focus to the WIP, which doesn't have a real title at this point.

This year, and this period of the year, is a commemorative time for many things in my life, and this seems to be breeding some hope for the new year. Christmas is looking easygoing, New Year's like fun, and the next week or two at work aren't too daunting.

Many people I love and respect are dealing with family emergencies and concerns, and my prayers are with them. It is hard not to see how blessed I am. Enormously grateful.

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/

Twitterati: @DianeLMajor

DianeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #109
angeliz2k
never mind the shorty

angeliz2k has earned our admirationangeliz2k has earned our admirationangeliz2k has earned our admirationangeliz2k has earned our admiration
Well, I'm currently very close to finishing (the first draft of) my current WIP. I didn't really have a goal in mind of when to finish it--I've been too unsteady with my writing habits to do that. But now that I'm close, I'm hoping to bang out the final two chapters before the end of the year. I should be able to do that easily. I have a lot of baking and present-wrapping to do this weekend, and I only get Christmas Day off . . . but it's only two chapters!

I've been querying Grove of Venus but am kind of losing hope. I've sent it to at least 70 agents, most of whom never responded. I got four full requests but no takers. I'll wait a bit before sending out a new batch. I desperately don't want to give up on it because I love it and it has what I think is a very marketable story/pitch (I mean, prostitutes, diamonds, Marie Antoinette!).

Once my current WIP is done, I might take some time off from writing (a month or two), then either editor hard core or start a new project. Probably edit hard core. This current project has been lingering for far too long. I want to get it done.

WIP 1: Britannia c.AD 60. 120 k. Trunked.
WIP 2: Paris, 1780s. 88k. five fulls, one partial, six rejections
WIP 3: Antebellum South, 1854 100k; querying; two fulls, both rejected; R&R
WIP 4: Novella. Civil War w/a hint of supernatural. 43k
WIP 5: The Cotton Wars. 104k. Editing.

My Blog:
MARIE ANTOINETTE'S DIAMONDS:
angeliz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #110
Flicka
Dull Old Person

Flicka is a glorious beacon of lightFlicka is a glorious beacon of lightFlicka is a glorious beacon of light
Wow, sounds like 2012 has been a really productive year for everyone (except me ). Let's hope that 2013 turns out to be even better and the year when some of us close the deal (not me, then, for obvious reasons).

BTW, I love the diversity of this community. 11th century thrillers and Marie-Antoinette & diamonds... It's a history geek's dream!

"She had not character enough to take to drinking, and moaned about, slipshod and in curl-papers all day"
Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #111
BlankWhitePage
figuring it all out

BlankWhitePage is on a distinguished road
Two WIPs currently, one set in 1870s New Orleans, more of a supernatural thriller and then another dealing with the Titanic disaster. I'm having a lot of fun researching but it's hard to research a lot with work. So I do what I can.

BlankWhitePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #112
merlot143

merlot143 is on a distinguished road
I'm writing a query letter now. Is it "historical fiction novel" or "work of historical fiction"? What's the correct wording? Thanks.
merlot143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #113
angeliz2k
never mind the shorty

angeliz2k has earned our admirationangeliz2k has earned our admirationangeliz2k has earned our admirationangeliz2k has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot143 View Post
I'm writing a query letter now. Is it "historical fiction novel" or "work of historical fiction"? What's the correct wording? Thanks.
You probably don't have to spell it out--your query should make it clear from the beginning that the story is not in a contemporary setting. You can always go over to Query Letter Hell when you're ready and see if your query works.

My Blog:
Old 12-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #114
ishtar'sgate
living in the past

ishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for Presidentishtar'sgate should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot143 View Post
I'd use 'historical novel' or even "my historical, 'Title' "and perhaps the time period in which it's set.

most-viewed blog post:
Unicorn Droppings, a Short Story
ishtar'sgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #115
Kyra Wright
Skulduggery and haberdashery

Kyra Wright is on a distinguished road
I just started researching a somewhat obscure 17th century English noblewoman turned criminal who I think would make for a decent work of historical fiction. I used to study crime in early modern England, so this dovetails nicely with my previous studies. I've never written historical fiction (just lots of academic history essays), and I have the feeling I'm going to get in over my head quickly.
Kyra Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #116
MmeGuillotine
Victorian Prostitute Re-enactor

MmeGuillotine is well-respected
I'm half way through my novel about Henrietta Anne Stuart, Charles II's sister and Louis XIV's sister in law (and briefly girlfriend). It's taking me ages to write!

I've started plotting out a novel about the Ripper murders, which I've promised everyone I will write next. There are a couple of plot points that need ironing out and then I'm ready to go.

I've started work on another book, non fiction this time, about Marie Antoinette which is based on my blog articles and am hoping to release it on Bastille Day. My first novel about her has done amazingly well so I'm hoping this'll be a success too.

I've abandoned work on my 19th century murder mystery as I just cannot plot a whodunnit. It's not my thing at all, but at least I gave it a shot! Likewise with the book that I was commissioned to write about 1950s housewives - I really struggled with it.

I'm really hoping to have at least two book releases in 2013. *fingers crossed*

MmeGuillotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #117
angeliz2k
never mind the shorty

I just finished the first draft of my current WIP, set in the Antebellum South. It clocked in at about 107k words, and needs some pruning, rearranging, and tidying up. But I told myself that I would finish it before the New Year, and I basically did. I finished the climax on New Year's Eve, and tied up the loose ends in one final chapter on New Year's Day.

Couldn't be happier.

Next, obviously, is tons of editing. After that, I think I'll either work on something completely different (contemporary, a hint of fantasy, and some historical elements thrown in) or use the same time period (Antebellum America). I need to work on something that won't beat me over the head, drag me behind a horse, dangle me over a river, drop me in, fish me out, give me a whack on the ass and send me on my way. Though I'm not entirely sure it's possible for me to write a story that doesn't require that.

My Blog:
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #118
mayqueen

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeGuillotine View Post
I've started plotting out a novel about the Ripper murders, which I've promised everyone I will write next. There are a couple of plot points that need ironing out and then I'm ready to go.

I'm really hoping to have at least two book releases in 2013. *fingers crossed*
That sounds really neat! Good luck with your other projects. You have a lot of really interesting things going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeliz2k View Post
I just finished the first draft of my current WIP, set in the Antebellum South. It clocked in at about 107k words, and needs some pruning, rearranging, and tidying up. But I told myself that I would finish it before the New Year, and I basically did. I finished the climax on New Year's Eve, and tied up the loose ends in one final chapter on New Year's Day.
Congratulations!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #119
FCameron

FCameron is on a distinguished road
Is there an introduction thread specific for HF?

I'm new to the HF side of forums. I have a women's fiction/thriller full out with one agent right now.

I'm in the research gathering mode right now for an historical fiction based on my musician husband's great-great-grandfather who, at age twelve (1789) was performing in New York. George and Martha Washington approached and invited him to live at Mount Vernon...and, he eventually lived there. So much more to the story and we have his daughter's diary.

While I have the family story and musical instrument background, I'm researching day-to-day setting information, clothes, manners, etc. The family was articulate and educated, but the boy lost his parents right when French Revolution exploded and fled to American with his sister and her husband (both noted musicians)....so, you'll see me posting questions looking for resources. He also fought in War of 1812, so I've got a bit of military research ahead of me as he was at the battle at Baltimore when Francis Scott Key wrote Star-Spangled Banner.

Thriller: R&R underway for agent
Thriller: WIP
Historical Fiction: Researching

When I'm not writing fiction, I blog (unedited) about what I love at Defining Your Home, Garden & Travel
FCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #120
Tom from UK
Third time's the charm

Tom from UK is a glorious beacon of lightTom from UK is a glorious beacon of lightTom from UK is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom from UK View Post
Oh good.

Can you explain it to me?
This wasn't a sarcastic comment. I'm struggling. There's a synopsis for His Majesty's Confidential Agent I just put up in Query Hell. Comments welcomed. And any advice on who might take this on.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #121
angeliz2k
never mind the shorty

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayqueen

This wasn't a sarcastic comment. I'm struggling. There's a synopsis for His Majesty's Confidential Agent I just put up in Query Hell. Comments welcomed. And any advice on who might take this on.
Have no fear; your QLH friends will let you know if/where you're going wrong. I might mosey on over to add my two cents--work's a bit slow today, which is a nice change.

My Blog:
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #122
Flicka
Dull Old Person

The bad news is that the idea I have been working on has morphed into something completely different. The good news is I actually think I'm on to something really good if I can pull it off, which I'm not sure I can.

But I really feel bad for morphing my idea. I've gotten so hung up on my fear of "not finishing" that I'm actually afraid of switching things that will obviously make it a stronger story before I've even started writing because I feel like I'm not sticking with it. Please tell me it's OK and not "quitting", even if the story turns out to be another than I originally intended.

I've sort of gone from light and fluffy to much darker and much more realistic. it's also, quite frankly, much less derivative and original. So many ideas just came together and I just *knew* it was right. I'm still queasy about changing stuff though.

Either way, I have moved from 1889 to ca 30 years earlier and put me firmly back in the "historical mystery" camp where I once began. And I'm still in India at least.

GAH!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #123
Tom from UK
Third time's the charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicka View Post
Either way, I have moved from 1889 to ca 30 years earlier and put me firmly back in the "historical mystery" camp where I once began. And I'm still in India at least.
During the Mutiny?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #124
Flicka
Dull Old Person

Quote:
During the Mutiny?
Not too long afterwards. Haven't settled on the exact date yet, though.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #125
Flicka
Dull Old Person

OK, I'm coming clean. I have made a complete volte-face and rethought everything about my writing. Most essentially, I'm now working on a story set in Sweden in Swedish, which feels terribly awkward but also like coming home. And I have no idea what this story is supposed to be - I'd say coming-of-age, possibly women's fiction? Not what I usually write at all, but obviously what my brain is wired for because all the little pieces are just falling into place with absolutely no wrestling at all.

Most horribly though, I've landed between my former 18th century infatuation and my current Victorian one, since I've managed to set it in 1824-32. I have no idea how that happened except the historical facts fit the story I want to tell best.

It's set at the Royal Theatre in Stockholm (with a completely made-up cast) and contains opera, love, betrayal, death and all that comes with it. I haven't been this excited, truly excited, about anything I've written in years (and I do mean years - last time was in 2005, I think). I don't care what comes of it, I just want to write it. I love my characters, even the horrible ones, and I love subjecting them to horrid traumas.

It's really nice to be able to rely on my basic knowledge of the layout of Stockholm too - I know how long it'd take someone to walk from A to B, for example, and what route they'd take - but really difficult to figure out the dialogue since the word "you" wasn't usually used back then and you really can't disregard that without feeling terribly anachronistic. It was all "Would Fru Eriksson excuse me?" "Would the gentleman like some coffee?" which makes me feel pretty stilted, but reading period literature is making it flow a little easier.

Anyway, just needed to gush. My cup runneth over and all that.