Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #3276
swachski
shameless bench..

swachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ó Mark Twain
swachski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #3277
Tepelus

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-flyer View Post
I take that back. There is a deer in Africa right now, practically sniffing the freakin' croc! I'm going to crap myself. STUPID DEER!
So, uh, did the deer make it out alive? Are your pants still clean?

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #3278
benbradley
Perspiring Writer

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's an interesting story with video of a flying beast allegedly coming in for a food grab - perhaps Silver King could (among other possible comments) make a good identification of this being an eagle or an osprey:
http://blogs.ajc.com/news-to-me/2012...oddler-a-hoax/
Old 12-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #3279
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I saw that video earlier today, thought it was real. I guess I'm glad it wasn't.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #3280
LadyV
Today, I'm Batman!

LadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
I saw that video earlier today, thought it was real. I guess I'm glad it wasn't.
I saw it too. I was going to post a link, but the one a friend posted on fb had NSFW language in the caption.

Current WIP: Smoldering Ember - Contemporary Fantasy (plotting, drafting, whatever)
LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #3281
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes... I do wish my mother had told me that before I watched it in front of my kiddo.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #3282
swachski
shameless bench..

swachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
hey, all things being equal, eagles need to eat too, yanno..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ó Mark Twain
Old 12-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #3283
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Those dumbasses should be out there everyday waiting to see if she comes back. Then again, little good that will do. *sigh* I know that the rangers are aware of it, but isn't there someone else you could call? Maybe you could call their office and tell whoever is in charge that they loused up the job and that they need someone that knows what they're doing out there to save that bird's life. It's a shame that it'll die when there's still time and the means to save it. I'm sure it visits that same spot often.
I followed up with the rangers today. They said the bird is a resident and will eventually come to shore when she weakens, where she will then be easily captured and taken to a sanctuary to recover. They acted as if she'd appear before long with her wings raised in defeat, begging for help.

I didn't buy that for a minute. And their soothing tone as they tried to dismiss my concerns irked me to no end.

I don't want to cause trouble for them, but there will be some price to pay over their half-ass attempt to rescue the anhinga if she should perish. And I told them as much, so we'll see what happens.
Quote:
I wasn't sure if I should post them since I wasn't taking the photos in person, but they are live. And I really don't have much else to contribute to this thread. :/
Are you kidding? You're always so supportive and thoughtful and inspiring in this thread, and it wouldn't be nearly as interesting without your input.

You should share the link (again) to the Africam site. If you don't, I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbradley View Post
Here's an interesting story with video of a flying beast allegedly coming in for a food grab - perhaps Silver King could (among other possible comments) make a good identification of this being an eagle or an osprey:
It's hard to tell for sure but looks like an osprey, only a super-sized version several times it's normal dimensions. Or perhaps the bird is normal sized, and the people in the scene and other objects have been shrunk way down.

Either way, the clip is pretty funny. I mean, can you imagine raptors swooping in and snatching children like that? Well, maybe it's not that funny, but I know a few kids I wouldn't mind seeing taken in that fashion...
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #3284
swachski
shameless bench..

Kinda like the super-sized osprey that carried you away earlier this year?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #3285
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by swachski View Post
Kinda like the super-sized osprey that carried you away earlier this year?
Yes, like that one. But my experience was for reals!

Some fast moving cormorants that made me think of Lisa (Medievalist) at the time:

Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #3286
night-flyer
flying about searching for cows

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepelus View Post
So, uh, did the deer make it out alive? Are your pants still clean?
um...sorry. My bad. Yes, my pants are still clean!

I got so rapt up in keeping an eye on the stupid deer that I didn't make it back in here. The deer (I'm not sure what species maybe someone will know from the pics) stuck near the croc for almost two hours. Sniffing at it, lying down near it, and staring at it...

Here, the deer first notices the newcomer.

Little birds try to warn the deer, they make all kinds of racket, but the deer never heeds them.

Finally something in the brush a ways off scared him and he ran away. I hope the rest of the wildlife around there are smarter. There's a lot of baby zebras around.

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

night-flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #3287
night-flyer

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
I followed up with the rangers today. They said the bird is a resident and will eventually come to shore when she weakens, where she will then be easily captured and taken to a sanctuary to recover. They acted as if she'd appear before long with her wings raised in defeat, begging for help.

I didn't buy that for a minute. And their soothing tone as they tried to dismiss my concerns irked me to no end.

Are you kidding? You're always so supportive and thoughtful and inspiring in this thread, and it wouldn't be nearly as interesting without your input.

You should share the link (again) to the Africam site. If you don't, I will!
Well maybe since they know that someone is concerned and more importantly that someone is a witness to their clumsiness, maybe they'll make it a point to keep an eye out for her. I guess the thing has to be pretty much dead before they can manage to capture it. I think you would've done a better job at it. *sigh*

Aw...thanks SK. I really love this thread and love being a part of it. And how everyone shares their photos and especially all the effort you put forth to capture such amazing scenes that some of us will never see.

Like those. See, I've heard of those birds, of course, but I've never seen one and couldn't tell you what one looked like, but thanks to you, I know exactly what they look like now and so many other species that you've shared on here. Great photos, SK!

Quote:
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #3288
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthood
I saw a trio of wild boar grazing within a few feet of the croc too. As far as I know, they survived.
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #3289
night-flyer

...this croc dude is going to stress me out. It seems as if the animals in Idube are not used to crocs. They know that the leopards, lions, and cheetahs are hazardous for their health, but they just wander right up to the croc. Tell me that this doesn't look menacing...

Quote:

Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #3290
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Beautiful cormorants, SK!

NF, he does look pretty menacing! But he might also look like part of the landscape if he's not moving.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #3291
swachski
shameless bench..

Someone suggested I post this image again, for old times sake..

Nify, I love the African images. Whenever I check the sight out, nothing's happening, so I'm glad you are sharing some of the action.

I did some research to figure out what type of deer that is. It's actually an antelope, a waterbuck specifically.

SK, nice cormorant images! the sun really highlights the detail of its feathers.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #3292
benbradley
Perspiring Writer

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Either way, the clip is pretty funny. I mean, can you imagine raptors swooping in and snatching children like that? Well, maybe it's not that funny, but I know a few kids I wouldn't mind seeing taken in that fashion...
"You see, kids, sometimes Krampus [see pic at the very top of this page] has wings, and if you've been bad this year ..."
Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #3293
L. Y.
functions better after some sleep

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Sounds like they were trying to placate you, or at the very least, downplay their earlier mistake.

I hope you have another chance to help the anhinga. Without the "assistance" of those two rangers.

Quote:
...this croc dude is going to stress me out. It seems as if the animals in Idube are not used to crocs. They know that the leopards, lions, and cheetahs are hazardous for their health, but they just wander right up to the croc. Tell me that this doesn't look menacing...

Very menacing. The resident animals better watch out. From it's size, it looks like it's been very successful at stalking its prey.

Edit with your head, write with your heart.

L. Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #3294
swachski
shameless bench..

*looks at croc pic... looks at L.Y.'s avie... looks at croc pic..*

uncanny...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #3295
L. Y.

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Someone suggested I post this image again, for old times sake..

Nah, just kidding. I saw that image a while back.

ETA:
Quote:
*looks at croc pic... looks at L.Y.'s avie... looks at croc pic..*

uncanny...

Old 12-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #3296
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
L.Y.'s got horns.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #3297
Tepelus

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Interrupting this conversation to bring to you a link to my latest drawing, a sketch of one of the characters in my novel. This one I finished in a few hours, but took me several tries and sketches to come up with this one. It's pretty close to how I envision him.

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #3298
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthood
Tepelus, your drawing is beautiful.

For those of you watching the croc on the Africam, the hippo has returned to the lake. Should be interesting.
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #3299
L. Y.

Quote:
L.Y.'s got horns.
I try my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepelus View Post
Interrupting this conversation to bring to you a link to my latest drawing, a sketch of one of the characters in my novel. This one I finished in a few hours, but took me several tries and sketches to come up with this one. It's pretty close to how I envision him.
Very nice, Tepelus!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #3300
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
Are you sure they would "kill" the gator? I am from Florida where gators can run amok. Even if they do end up somewhere dangerous (like a pool), they don't kill them. They just remove them to a local river or other water source where the fact that it is a gator area is clearly marked. While thinking the gator would kill a child is pretty remote, it could kill a pet which can be pretty awful (my pets are my kids). If the gator doesn't move on soon, (which it will if it doesn't find a mate), manual relocation will be his best option.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote