Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > Flash Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 35!

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction is a new challenge that will be held in AW's Flash Fiction forum.

It will run every week during 2013. Week 1 of the challenge will begin on Saturday 5th January.

To meet the challenge in any particular week, participants must:

1) Write a flash fiction story.
2) Polish that story.
3) Submit that story to a market.

Each of these steps must be completed within that week to count.

The aim of this challenge is to help you to develop a regular routine of writing, editing and submitting flash fiction stories.

Resources:

I will post a story prompt every Saturday, at the start of each new week of the challenge. It is not compulsory to use this prompt; it is simply offered in case you would like something to help kick-start your ideas. You are also free to use, at any time, any of the prompts posted for the Flash Fortnight challenge, all of which are listed in the links given at the bottom of this post.

The Polished and Ready room (password: flashed). Once you have edited your story as best you can, you may post your story here for feedback before you send it out.

You might like to mention that it is a story written for this challenge (for example, you could put "YOWFF 1: [Story title]" as the thread title), so that critiquers are aware that there is a time constraint on feedback. If you do post in Polished and Ready, please consider providing feedback on the stories of your fellow members and challenge participants.

The Submitting and Selling Flash Fiction room. Look over the flash fiction markets listed and discussed here to help you decide which ones you would like to submit your story to.

The Flash Fictioners' Corner Booth. Discuss your writing, commiserate with each other regarding rejections, and celebrate story acceptances. This thread is yours to use as you like!

Signature pips:

As you progress in this challenge, you might like to mark your achievements in your AW forum signature. When you reach each milestone, feel free to use the appropriate image from this super special selection:

Best of luck!
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Eternally Lost Zeppo
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Eternally Lost Zeppo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I need to try and get back in the habit of writing stuff, so I might give this a go. Only thing is, I'm not sure I'm confident enough to try getting published yet. ^^;
Eternally Lost Zeppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Spell-it-out
I'm gonna give all my secrets away

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
Hi all,

I am new to the flash fiction section of Absolute Write, but I am here to give it all a go.
See you soon!
Spell-it-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 1!

On your marks, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 1 prompt is: Changeling.

You have until the end of Friday 11th January to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is a great idea and Sophia is brilliant for doing it. She is so brilliant, that I may even try for a few myself.

Changeling. There has to be an idea rumbling around my head for this prompt. Perhaps not with Odo from Deep Space Nine, though.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Eternally Lost Zeppo

Just a quick question, what counts as the end of Friday 11th/etc for the purposes of this challenge? Is it midnight in EST/GMT/etc, or just for whatever time zone we're in personally?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternally Lost Zeppo View Post
Just a quick question, what counts as the end of Friday 11th/etc for the purposes of this challenge? Is it midnight in EST/GMT/etc, or just for whatever time zone we're in personally?
Sophia can confirm this later, but for now I'd say in whatever time zone you are in will be fine.

Or GMT, as that's the one I'm in.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
Sophia
AW Moderator

Whatever time zone we're in personally, I'd say. However, if we're talking about serious cases of procrastination that require the firm whip of discipline and deadlines, then GMT IT IS, SLACKERS.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
Eternally Lost Zeppo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Whatever time zone we're in personally, I'd say. However, if we're talking about serious cases of procrastination that require the firm whip of discipline and deadlines, then GMT IT IS, SLACKERS.
Alright then, thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
I win! Do I get a special thingy to have in my sig for it?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is a really good idea.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #13
Sophia
AW Moderator

Just over two days left! Which is plenty of time! Those members who have leapt to face this challenge - how are you doing?

We have one entry already up for critique in Polished and Ready (password: flashed). Spell-it-out's story is here, if you have a few minutes to read and comment before he sends it out of the door!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #14
Yasaibatake
is her own imaginary friend

Yasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admiration
So I just saw this, but I really want to join! I totally have enough time to pull this off by midnight tomorrow...right? I was going to grade tonight (if you don't know me, I'm a middle school teacher) but maybe my kiddos can wait until Monday to get their quizzes back...

Moi je parle ici pour mes soeurs et frères qui se battent jour et nuit contre l'ordinaire ...je fais ce qu'il faut donc je vise très haut, et plus encore. Tu dis que c'est trop, et alors j'irai jusqu'au fond; et si c'est un mirage, je remercierai le ciel pour le stage. -"Rêves de Star"

Have a few minutes? I'd love some help with a short WIP! Progress (500 words) password: flashed
Yasaibatake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #15
Spell-it-out

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasaibatake View Post
So I just saw this, but I really want to join! I totally have enough time to pull this off by midnight tomorrow...right? I was going to grade tonight (if you don't know me, I'm a middle school teacher) but maybe my kiddos can wait until Monday to get their quizzes back...
.....let em wait
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #16
Spell-it-out

Submitted "Cycle" to Flash Fiction Online, week 1 completed!
Week one, check.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #17
Sophia
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spell-it-out View Post
Submitted "Cycle" to Flash Fiction Online, week 1 completed!
Week one, check.
, and not forgetting, !

Well done, Spell-it-out! I'm really pleased for you.

Yasaibatake, you definitely have enough time, you mad, desperate writer, you! Write! Write like the hounds are snapping at your hair, which is on fire!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
Yasaibatake

Yasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admiration
It is now exactly 11pm and "The Knock" has officially been submitted! Woohoo! I cheated a bit and re-used an old story idea that never went anywhere before, but this is definitely the best version I've written, so I still have hope

Moi je parle ici pour mes soeurs et frères qui se battent jour et nuit contre l'ordinaire ...je fais ce qu'il faut donc je vise très haut, et plus encore. Tu dis que c'est trop, et alors j'irai jusqu'au fond; et si c'est un mirage, je remercierai le ciel pour le stage. -"Rêves de Star"

Have a few minutes? I'd love some help with a short WIP! Progress (500 words) password: flashed
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Sophia
AW Moderator

Woo hoo, Yasaibatake! Fantastic work!

Just in time for...

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 2!

Rev your engines, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 2 prompt is: Beacon.

You have until the end of Friday 18th January to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #20
Spell-it-out

*Cracks Knuckles*

Here we go...
Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
Eternally Lost Zeppo

Hrrm...actually having more luck with coming up with an idea for Chuck Wendig's flash fic challenge than for this week's prompt.

Setting is 'Teen Noir', conflict is 'The character is being hunted' and it must include 'a vengeful god'. XD
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
Yasaibatake

I initially read this week's prompt as "bacon"

To my great surprise, I actually have two stories going this week! I had a good rough draft going over the weekend, and then last night's Flash Fiction Challenge produced a second story I like just as much. Maybe I'll get them both out this week...

Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #23
sunjunkie
straitjacket test pilot

sunjunkie is on a distinguished road
Gah! I'm late to the party but I brought this fine Cruzan rum. Can anyone play? Or only those who know the secret handshake?

Coming soon to a Facebook near you
sunjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
Sophia
AW Moderator

Hi, sunjunkie! I commend you on your excellent sense of timing, for you are right on time for...

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 3!

Gather your milk pails, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 3 prompt is: Pasture.

You have until the end of Friday 25th January to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #25
Yasaibatake

So...I hate to be that person, but how strict are we being about the "flash" part of this challenge? I think of flash fiction as being under 1,000 words, and my rough draft for this week ended up running almost 1200 words (1154 to be precise). While there's a good bit of editing to do, I'll be adding at the same time as cutting...I'm hoping to write two stories again this week, but we'll see what actually happens