Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW Contests and Projects Room
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Un-Valentine's Day Challenge

YOUR mission, should you choose to accept it:

Write a poem or short story (less than 5K words) and email it to submissions (AT) absolutewrite.com before midnight, the night before Valentine's Day.

Your story should contain strong elements of humor, and should attempt to subvert, twist, parody, or otherwise mess with the regular romance/Valentine's Day tropes, motifs, and themes.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

I choose to accept the mission.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. — Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Calliopenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm considering it. Need to look at some of the Valentine's tropes and see if any ideas are jogged free.

But humour is much more up my alley than the Christmas horror from last time.

So I'll probably put something together, if I can find the time, if I have any strong ideas.

*gets excited*
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This calls for booze, and possibly some crying. That's where the funny comes from.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
TypoToffee
practical experience, FTW

TypoToffee is a shiny, shiny jewelTypoToffee is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Royal View Post
This calls for booze, and possibly some crying. That's where the funny comes from.
Keep the tears, pass the whiskey...

Writer of naughtiness and many things wicked
TypoToffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypoToffee View Post
Keep the tears, pass the whiskey...
Too right! Salt water does not go with whiskey.

I might have a go at this . . . sounds sort of intriguing . . .

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
An idea is forming in my head...

Had only a vague idea last night, but as soon as I woke up this morning, I realised what direction I could take that vague idea in. So it's now less vague.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wracking my brain but it's not looking good. Unless. . .

No, Cliff Face already thought of that idea.

kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
Cliff Face

Yes, my purple romance penguins are spoken for, thank you very much.

Well, okay, that's not my actual idea. But wouldn't it open up a lot of comedic avenues?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Phuein
i.e. Assaf Koss

Phuein is on a distinguished road
I'm so glad you wrote
Quote:
poem or short story
:=D

My ode to love!
Phuein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
WendyN
Write... edit... rinse... repeat.

WendyN is a shiny, shiny jewelWendyN is a shiny, shiny jewel
Ooooh, I actually have an idea for this that I might have to try
MS3 Historical Fic w/ Fantasy Elements
MS4 Shiny Futuristic Space Odyssey (WIP)
WendyN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #12
Rockweaver

Rockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputation
all contest can be won if you know the judge and the kind of booze they need to feel better ..

i may just give this a shot.

Oh one question is there a limit on the number of submissions?

thanks

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.
ME

Growing old is required. Growing up not so much.

Last edited by Rockweaver; 01-14-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: i will think of something...
Rockweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #13
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Smile

I know I said I was going to compete, but I'm going to have to bow out. To use an already overused line, I can't find my inspiration.

I wish everybody luck on this one.

Maybe the next time around though.

Yes, I'll be waiting for them to be posted so I can read them all. I need to get my daily reading in after all.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #14
Rockweaver

Rockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputation
Calliopenjo i have a couple of spare ideas if you would like i can pm one to you

s

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.
ME

Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #15
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Smile

I appreciate the idea Rockweaver, but I don't do well with writing humor.

Thank you anyway

Old 01-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #16
Rockweaver

posting from the net..
www.wate.com/story/582444/the-legend-of-cupid

this is for any who do not know the back story...
Cupid is the most famous of Valentine symbols -- a mischievous, winged child armed with bow and arrows. Cupid aims his arrows at people, causing them to fall deeply in love.

In Roman mythology, Cupid's mother Venus was jealous of the beauty of Psyche, and ordered Cupid to punish the mortal. Instead, Cupid fell deeply in love with her. He took her as his wife, but as a mortal she was forbidden to look at him.

Psyche was happy until her sisters persuaded her to look at Cupid. As soon as Psyche looked at Cupid, Cupid punished her by leaving. Their lovely castle and gardens vanished too. Psyche found herself alone in an open field with no signs of other beings or Cupid.

As she wandered trying to find her love, she came upon the temple of Venus. Wishing to destroy her, the goddess of love gave Psyche a series of tasks. Psyche was given a small box and told to take it to the underworld to capture some of the beauty of Proserpine, the wife of Pluto.
During her trip she was given tips on avoiding the dangers of the realm of the dead and was warned not to open the box. But Temptation overcame Psyche and she opened the box. Instead of finding beauty, she found deadly slumber. Cupid found her lifeless on the ground. He gathered the deadly sleep from her body and put it back in the box. The gods, moved by Psyche's love for Cupid made her a goddess.

Today, Cupid and his arrows have become the most popular of love signs, and love is frequently depicted by two hearts pierced by an arrow -- Cupid's arrow.

ME

Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
dobiwon
learning to appreciate the world

dobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputationdobiwon has a double-platinum reputation
I haven't been doing much writing lately, so this prompt came at a good time for me. I want to get back to writing more humor.

Walk With Purpose- Poems (mostly) and essays by Don Magin

Last edited by dobiwon; 02-18-2013 at 05:02 AM.
dobiwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #18
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
Questions:

Midnight your time?

Does it have to be a complete short story?
Sherlock Holmes' Apprentice - MG Historical Mystery - On hold
Untitled - YA Paranormal Romance - Writing the first draft

Reading:
"Girlfriend in a Coma" - Douglas Coupland

Twitter
Tumblr
lisalulu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
Also, PRIZE?
Sherlock Holmes' Apprentice - MG Historical Mystery - On hold
Untitled - YA Paranormal Romance - Writing the first draft

Reading:
"Girlfriend in a Coma" - Douglas Coupland

Twitter
Tumblr
lisalulu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #20
Cliff Face

Well, I wrote the first draft of mine yesterday. Just needs to be polished.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
Mr. Aziz
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mr. Aziz is on a distinguished road
I'd try, but so far every time I try to think up something, it always ends up shamelessly ripping this off or ending up like it:

http://www.theonion.com/video/annual...le-held,19117/

Edit: NVM, I thought of something.

Last edited by Mr. Aziz; 01-26-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Mr. Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So of the The Onion's satire highlights a truth.

Got an idea last night.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #23
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am seriously doubting if I can do this one. I tried, and ended up writing a short story about an abused woman who decides to blow her husband's brains out. Trying to put a humorous spin on that has proven somewhat . . . difficult.
Eric shrugged, still smiling.
“You fuckin’ nut,” I said. “You had me going there for a minute.”
“I know.”
“Asshole,” I said.
“Yep.”
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #24
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
I am seriously doubting if I can do this one. I tried, and ended up writing a short story about an abused woman who decides to blow her husband's brains out. Trying to put a humorous spin on that has proven somewhat . . . difficult.
Think of it as a country-western song.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
ElaineA
Back in the saddle

ElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Brain...spinning...
ElaineA is online now   Reply With Quote