Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Paying Markets
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Lordofthehunt
practical experience, FTW

Lordofthehunt is on a distinguished road
Urban Fantasy Anthology Opportunity - Shared Royalties

Manifesto: UF

Edited by Tim Marquitz

An Angelic Knight Press Production

The time has come to make a statement, to define a genre. This is our manifesto.

I’m looking for urban fantasy stories that leap from the pages, full of action, snark, and unadulterated badassery. Beyond a contemporary setting, there are no thematic guidelines for this anthology. My goal is to challenge the kings and queens of the genre, to rattle the foundations of the UF world. If you think you have that story, I’d love to see it.

Submissions should be between 3,000 and 5,000 words.

Submissions open on January 15, 2013, and close at midnight, May 15, 2013. The anthology will be tentatively published on September 1, 2013, through Angelic Knight Press.

Submissions and queries can be sent to ufmanifesto@gmail.com.

Payment is in the form of shared royalties (55% net electronic, 25% net print), all contracts through Angelic Knight Press.

All stories must be typed in standard manuscript format, double-spaced, in a legible font (Size 12: Courier, Arial, Times New Roman), and must be either .doc or .docx file format. (Exceptions can be made for other formats that are easily opened and edited in Microsoft Word, but DO NOT send PDF, Notepad, or any other format that requires extra effort just for me to look at your submission.)

Acceptances/rejections will be sent as time allows (expect some lag time), but the target range will be three to five weeks from submission date. Feel free to send a status query after the fifth week if you have not heard back.

I will not limit topics, but stories that include rape, pedophilia, racism, or sexism simply for the shock factor will be rejected. If these topics are used in a way that blends them logically and faithfully within the theme of the story, I’ll gladly give the story a chance. I want quality story-telling.
No reprints will be accepted.

Multiple submissions ARE NOT allowed. Simultaneous submissions ARE allowed, but please inform me if your submission is being considered elsewhere, and be sure to let me know if it has been accepted somewhere else during the process. (After a rejection, authors are free to submit a new work for consideration.)

Be warned: I will not have time to provide personalized rejections. If your story is something I enjoyed but feel needs a little work, I will say so and offer the opportunity to resubmit it. If your rejection does not offer such an opportunity, please, do not resubmit the same story as it will be rejected again without consideration.

For published pieces, Angelic Knight Press takes first, worldwide electronic and print rights for a period of one(1) year from publication. As a shared royalty anthology, there is no guarantee of any specific payment amount. Be aware, all stories published in Manifesto: UF will be considered reprints after the fact and will limit future use and financial opportunities once the Angelic Knight Press contract expires.

Last edited by Lordofthehunt; 01-01-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Lordofthehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi, Lordofthehunt

Hold on for a sec; I'll be moving this over to Paying Markets.

Thanks

Ari
“Plot is people. Human emotions and desires founded on the realities of life, working at cross purposes, getting hotter and fiercer as they strike against each other until finally there’s an explosion—that’s Plot.” ~Leigh Brackett, July 1943

.Where the twit tries not to be TOO much of one.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Lordofthehunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Meermans View Post
Hi, Lordofthehunt

Hold on for a sec; I'll be moving this over to Paying Markets.

Thanks

Ari
Sorry. I think I do this every time.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No problem. You might want to edit your title to include that payment is shared royalties.
“Plot is people. Human emotions and desires founded on the realities of life, working at cross purposes, getting hotter and fiercer as they strike against each other until finally there’s an explosion—that’s Plot.” ~Leigh Brackett, July 1943

.Where the twit tries not to be TOO much of one.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Seconded--I know a number of people who decide which Paying Markets posts to look into further based on what's in the subject line and whether that's acceptable to them.

Maryn, wishing everyone a happy new year
Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Lordofthehunt

Thank y'all.

And on another note, we've already got Jeff Salyards involved, the awesome creator of Scourge of the Betrayer, so we're off to a great start!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
benluby

benluby has a spectacular aura
Oh joy. Looks like time to break out a character I've been wanting to put to pixel and see what happens. This could actually be fun!!
benluby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
Hmmm, I am interested... assuming I can think of any ideas for UF... I will have to think upon it and see what I can do in the time...

Transitions
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transitions-...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

'Gods of the Sea'
Part of the Pirates and Swashbucklers anthology:

http://pulpempire.com/mag/

My blog:

http://lurkingmusings.wordpress.com/

I helped write this:

http://www.realmfw.com/
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Lordofthehunt

Looking forward to see what y'all come up with.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Lordofthehunt

Just a reminder that this anthology opens tomorrow.