Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
tprevost
practical experience, FTW

tprevost is on a distinguished road
Looking to Form an Onling YA Critique Group

Hey All!!! I have a critique group at home that meets weekly, but one of our members mentioned that she's apart of many groups and how much she felt she benefits from it. So, I thought I'd try my hand at forming another one that meets online, but that focusing on YA. Any takers?

I'm currently working on a YA Paranormal Romance and am doing some edits on a YA Urban Fantasy for an R&R.
tprevost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
JadeVarden
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JadeVarden is on a distinguished road
I'm a YA writer. Tell me more.
JadeVarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's a YA Critique section right here.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Maryn
Fa-la-la-la-la--and another la
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Amen, Bufty. Somebody pass the biscuits.

Maryn, who benefits much from her genre's SYW board
, an irregular blog
The Occasional Tweet
Maryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
tprevost

Yeah, I know about the YA section, but thought it might be fun to get a specific group together that's smaller. I've always liked having a smaller group to work in, but that's just me.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
tprevost

JadeVardan, I'm just thinking of getting a small group of YA writers together where we'd email each other with a chapter or so once a week or every other week and we'd all critique the work. Just something small and informal.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think your reasoning may be flawed here.

You can't get a much smaller group than one - and it's individuals who read and critique submissions in SYW YA - it's not a group exercise. In any event there isn't exactly a flood of critters in that sub-Forum.

I see no difference in what you're trying to achieve except that you lose the benefit of having your submissions read by a range of folk with varying degrees of experience even though only a few may decide to critique this or that submission.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprevost View Post
Yeah, I know about the YA section, but thought it might be fun to get a specific group together that's smaller. I've always liked having a smaller group to work in, but that's just me.

Last edited by Bufty; 01-15-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Bufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
BarbaraSheridan
*insert catchy phrase here*

BarbaraSheridan has a spectacular auraBarbaraSheridan has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufty View Post

I see no difference in what you're trying to achieve except that you lose the benefit of having your submissions read by a range of folk with varying degrees of experience even though only a few may decide to critique this or that submission.

Good luck.
All excellent points, Bufty.

On the other hand, I'm part of a small group that "meets" via a private forum similar to this one. In addition to great feedback from pubbed & agented & those who soon will be. It's also about developing friendships that you might not because AW is so big with so many folks.

I echo the Good Luck.

BarbaraSheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
jennarielly
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

jennarielly is on a distinguished road
I'm interested in this!
jennarielly is offline   Reply With Quote