Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > QUILTBAG
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #26
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My apologies Abs, I honestly thought the Observer was a right-wing rag.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #27
mayqueen
practical experience, FTW

mayqueen is a candidate for sainthoodmayqueen is a candidate for sainthoodmayqueen is a candidate for sainthoodmayqueen is a candidate for sainthoodmayqueen is a candidate for sainthoodmayqueen is a candidate for sainthoodmayqueen is a candidate for sainthoodmayqueen is a candidate for sainthood
The whole article filled me with rage, for all of the reasons mentioned so far. Julie Burchill essentializes gender and polices other women's gender ("real or imagined"????? UGH). That's not my feminism.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #28
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just to add that the Observer's readers' editor has posted in the online comments to Burchill's article (approaching 2000 last I looked) and is reviewing the piece and will respond in due course. Probably too little too late, but let's see.

Meanwhile, Roz Kaveney's rebuttal puts Burchill's disgraceful piece in its place very effectively.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words. Submitted to Strange Chemistry.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 20,927 words and counting

Short fiction:

"Mourning Becomes Me" - version 2.0, 19,464 words and counting

"Cold" - 3753 words, final draft. Submitted!
eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #29
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm sorry if my post is awkward. I hope I am not using incorrect language.

That was a horrible piece of garbage. This sort of hateful grossed-out rage at transsexuals is beyond offensive.

Roz Kaveney's rebuttal in the Guardian was very well written. "Once you decide that some people's lives are not real, it becomes OK to abuse them."

The ... the wrath Julie Burchill evinces, the bitterness, the bile, the refusal to even call transsexual women women, is a disgrace to feminism.

I have been a feminist all my life. I believe in dignity and respect for people's gender identification, if that's the phrase I'm looking for.

I can only hope this raises awareness of the conditions transsexuals face worldwide.
Alessandra Kelley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #30
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
Sorry, it was my misconception that pointed the finger at the Guardian. I mistook one of the links... yes it is the Observer which also makes me feel better because it is more expected but still awful.

In the last few hours on my facebook feed one friend (who is transexual) has posted about how she now feels threatened by this article - how she imagines that it could lead to more hate attacks against her and others like her and asked for everyone to lodge their complaints to the PCC and the newspaper editorial team. According to someone who posted a comment to that status, it seems as if the PCC is already taking an interest and is investigating already.

Another friend (a former journalist turned freelance writer and reviewer) has posted a warning about this article which basically reads 'do not feed the troll'. By which I take to mean 'respond through proper channels in a calm and mature way and do not give them the oxygen of publicity'.

Just a FYI...

Transitions
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transitions-...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

'Gods of the Sea'
Part of the Pirates and Swashbucklers anthology:

http://pulpempire.com/mag/

My blog:

http://lurkingmusings.wordpress.com/

I helped write this:

http://www.realmfw.com/
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #31
mirandashell

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's about time they sacked Burchill. She's neither a journalist nor a feminist. She's just a horrible waste of good oxygen.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #32
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
AFAIK she's a freelance, so they should just cease to employ her services.

I remember quite a while back (early 1990s) when Burchill was "reduced" (her words) to writing for the same Brighton-based listings mag I used to write film reviews for.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words. Submitted to Strange Chemistry.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 20,927 words and counting

Short fiction:

"Mourning Becomes Me" - version 2.0, 19,464 words and counting

"Cold" - 3753 words, final draft. Submitted!
eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #33
mirandashell

Have the Observer lost a lot of readers? Because the only reason I can see for giving her a piece is that they wanted something controversial to raise their profile.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #34
tkalyvas
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

tkalyvas is on a distinguished road
...Ugh. Need to wash my eyes after reading that.
tkalyvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #35
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The hell is wrong with this pressed soul? Every word is dripping with malicious venom and frankly, insanity. You can literally feel this woman's rage coming through in her words. She acts like a trans sister snatched her edges or her man.

This is some vile and low down crap. This is a major reason why I identify as a womanist,instead of feminist. I support ALL women and that includes my trans sisters.

The total lack of respect/understanding for women who differ from what they are/define womanhood to be is a major issue with some in the feminist movement.

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #36
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's offensive to the point of. . .

I can't even think. Narrow-minded. Hateful. Bitter.

What gets me the most is, I know she's not the only one.
“I already got a job,” he said.
My little blog: /right-place-right-time/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #37
Thump
defying grabbity

Thump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolness
Wow... just... wow...

As a cis female feminist, can I kick her out of the cis female feminist group? Because, she sucks and I do not want to be lumped with her and her kind.

Sounds to me like her sense of being a woman is threatened by the fact that "anyone can be a woman these day". It's a disgusting, elitist, clan-ish sort of thinking that IS NOT what feminism is about. If your philosophy is "more rights for my friends and fewer for those other people", I don't want to know you.
I'd say the main lesson to take from Stephen King's working life is: He's never stopped working. He's written sober. He's written drunk. He's written while recovering from horrendous injuries. He's written while working maggotty laundry jobs. He's written on long after he could have snuggled down into his royalties for the rest of his life.

Damn good lesson, that.
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #38
Diana Hignutt
permaflounced

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I find it convenient when my secret enemies reveal themselves...and, sadly, there are many people who identify as "feminists" who are quick to throw so-called "fake" women off the bus. This is the world we live in. They tell me it's getting better...
Diana Hignutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #39
Zoombie
Yellow Reaper
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Exclusivity isn't exclusive.

Much to my sadness and disgust...

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (being planned)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #40
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
The editor has today withdrawn the article and apologised. Whether any other action will be taken remains to be seen. However, I consider that to be a win for the art of good old fashioned complaining...

Transitions
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transitions-...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

'Gods of the Sea'
Part of the Pirates and Swashbucklers anthology:

http://pulpempire.com/mag/

My blog:

http://lurkingmusings.wordpress.com/

I helped write this:

http://www.realmfw.com/
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #41
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What was with all that venom?

Julie Burchill was talking as though women were a nation and transsexuals were illegal immigrants.
Alessandra Kelley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #42
mirandashell

It's what she does. No matter what the subject, she will be vicious and horrible about it. Even more so when it involves sex and gender.

It is better just to ignore her. She's not worthy of notice.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #43
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To have your cock cut off and then plead special privileges as women – above natural-born women, who don't know the meaning of suffering, apparently – is a bit like the old definition of chutzpah: the boy who killed his parents and then asked the jury for clemency on the grounds he was an orphan.

This sentence disgusts me on so many levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes:

http://celiacyanide.tumblr.com/
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #44
BenPanced

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, the "born wimmin" vs. "transwimmin"/Michigan Wimmins' Music Festival argument.
BenPanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #45
Mara
Clever User Title

Mara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputation
This is my favorite rebuttal so far.

http://www.penny-red.com/post/405956...nd-free-speech
Old 01-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #46
Isobel Lindley

Isobel Lindley is on a distinguished road
The whole thing makes me shaky with rage, really. The comments in the Telegraph, where it was reposted...

As a cisgendered white, first world feminist, it makes me sick that so-called feminists were disparaging Brazilian transwomen in the first place, because aren't women who are murdered just for existing exactly who we, who are more privileged, should be fighting for? But Burchill's piece is so ugly I can barely understand it exists. That Black and White minstrels bit! As as for Moore's "I'm not phobic, I had a crush on David Bowie" crap...

Just... Rage to the point of tears. I wish I could take away their right to claim to be feminists, because abusing women lower down the privilege scale is as Antifeminist as it gets. But aw, Burchill didn't have "family money", she's so oppressed that no one else gets a look in. Never mind that very very few people have family money, she's still worse off than the more than a hundred Brazilian transsexuals killed in a year.

Sorry, venting. This has been preying on my mind for days.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 AM   #47
mirandashell

Isobel, just ignore her. Seriously. She really isn't worth getting upset over. She's a waste of space who just likes to WUM. Only she gets a newspaper to do it in.

Don't let her upset you. She is really not worth it.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #48
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
Yeah, the "born wimmin" vs. "transwimmin"/Michigan Wimmins' Music Festival argument.
Yeah I saw several letters and articles about that in Lesbian Connection . . .seemed strange and offensive to me.

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #49
Isobel Lindley

Isobel Lindley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
Isobel, just ignore her. Seriously. She really isn't worth getting upset over. She's a waste of space who just likes to WUM. Only she gets a newspaper to do it in.

Don't let her upset you. She is really not worth it.
You're right, I know. It just really got to me and got stuck in my head, especially all the comments and other blog posts and opinion pieces lauding her for being witty and iconoclast for heaping slurs on an already abused group of women. (Neither seems to know transmen even exist.) And I hate it when people are negative about feminism because of the people the media choose to speak for feminists, while at the same time, I can't really blame them when screeds like this get called feminist.

Maybe it's just pregnancy hormones making me particularly thin skinned, our evil lesbian baby is popping out any day now.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #50
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
http://www.everydayfamily.com/blog/p...-fourth-child/

Here is another example of a transphobic piece claming to not be . . . it was posted in September but I just read it now. What do you think? The writer is claming Thomas Beattie is not really a man because a man would never voluntarily go through pregnancy and a C-section.

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote