Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > NaNoWriMo and Beyond
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #151
TNK
#Soon

TNK is a shiny, shiny jewelTNK is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've gotten quite a bit of writing done the last few days. This morning however, I was on a roll, and the words were flowing. Then half a page later I realised I'd switched tenses.

I hate it when that happens.
TNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #152
WendyN
Write... edit... rinse... repeat.

WendyN is a shiny, shiny jewelWendyN is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wampuscat View Post
I have no idea what your book is about, but if I were you, I'd try writing one version of the query that stops just after that twist halfway through.

I'm terrible at writing queries, but I'm trying to practice by writing them for my WIPs, even the ideas I don't even have full plots for yet, and critting in QLH. Good luck!
Hmm... I think that's what I might try. I've changed it so many times in the past few days I don't even remember what my current version includes :P

I'm still about a dozen or so posts short of being able to post in the SYW section, which is probably good, as it'll force me to take some time and struggle through it on my own a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
Also, I'm rethinking self-e-pubbing and may wind up submitting this novel to agents/publishers all over again, now that it's sooooo much better than it was when I last submitted it...

Not sure what to do with my writing right now... All I can do is edit while I decide what I want to do.
OOOooh, exciting big decisions. I'm totally new to submitting/publishing and therefore incredibly curious: how long ago did you try submitting? How many agents did you query? Good luck with whatever you end up deciding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky_s View Post
The people I interviewed with yesterday have called me in for a third interview. That's fantastic but... they want me to do a 15 minute presentation. I hate doing presentations, especially to people I don't know very well. And I've only got a day to prepare.

I feel sick.
I also hate presentations. Good luck w/ that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNK View Post
Then half a page later I realised I'd switched tenses.

I hate it when that happens.
D'oh! (Yup, I've been there before, too)
MS3 Historical Fic w/ Fantasy Elements
MS4 Shiny Futuristic Space Odyssey (WIP)
WendyN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #153
Sonneillon
Autophobic Misanthrope

Sonneillon has a spectacular auraSonneillon has a spectacular aura
Well, I finished my research project, now it's back to the grindstone! I got my new book from the library but I did not bring it to work because I must write 5,000 words today! *rolls up sleeves*

Sonneillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #154
Moon Daughter
practical experience, FTW

Moon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolness
Considering it's halfway into January, I probably shouldn't even bother with challenging myself this month with JanNo, but I've always failed in the past with NaNoWriMo and maybe it's about time to really push myself. I've done a heck of a lot of plot kinks and outlining for my current MS Ghost Girl. I have about 40K left to write. So if I write 2,666 words/day, I could hit the mark! Whilst 2,666 is about 11 pages long, I think it's within reach. Wish me luck! And, of course, good luck to all of you.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #155
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

bdwilson is well-respected
Got in some cutting time last night (I've stopped calling it editing ), so I think I'm about halfway through the existing material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky_s View Post
I hate doing presentations, especially to people I don't know very well.
Erg, I'm with you there. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNK View Post
Then half a page later I realised I'd switched tenses.
That's always a fun discovery
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #156
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WKlein View Post
OOOooh, exciting big decisions. I'm totally new to submitting/publishing and therefore incredibly curious: how long ago did you try submitting? How many agents did you query? Good luck with whatever you end up deciding!
Well, there aren't a lot of agents/publishers in Australia, and I only submitted in Australia. Probably... 4 or 5 agents, and 6 or 7 publishers. Some of them were quite small presses, and I never got asked for the full novel. (Typically they wanted 2 or 3 chapters up front anyway.)

The best I did was the first place I submitted to, an agent. They were a big deal agency, and my submission got taken to a group meeting to decide whether they wanted it or not. It got voted down, not sure how much by, but according to various AWers, getting that far was an achievement of its own.

ETA: Oh, and the submissions ranged from probably late 2009 through to early 2012. I had terrible submission fright, and kept putting it off, doing one at a time if any. This time, if I do submit again (which I think I will), I'll submit to every agent on my list, wait for them to get back to me, if no takers, then submit to every publisher on my list. So basically 2 rounds of submissions, with 5+ subs per round. Much quicker way of doing things, even if it is nerve-wracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Daughter View Post
Considering it's halfway into January, I probably shouldn't even bother with challenging myself this month with JanNo, but I've always failed in the past with NaNoWriMo and maybe it's about time to really push myself. I've done a heck of a lot of plot kinks and outlining for my current MS Ghost Girl. I have about 40K left to write. So if I write 2,666 words/day, I could hit the mark! Whilst 2,666 is about 11 pages long, I think it's within reach. Wish me luck! And, of course, good luck to all of you.
Good luck, and welcome to the madness!
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #157
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Probably won't end up writing tonight. But that's okay. I may start looking at generators or something soon, if I still can't get any ideas for anything. I'm trying not to become reliant on them entirely. However, I just can't get anything up there right now.

--

I did work on some more school work though. But I still have some more to work on.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #158
franky_s
In a constant state of tsundoku

franky_s is on a distinguished road
Big thanks to everyone for the good wishes, they were very much appreciated. I am not a public speaker. I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to say (and had palm cards) but I froze up, lost my train of thought, voice went all wavery and I had to fight the urge to run out of the room.

Despite that, I think I got my main points across and when they asked what I thought I could have done better I gave a good, honest critique of myself which I think they appreciated.

Eh, I'm writing this one off but it was good experience.

Now back to the novel!
franky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #159
K. Taylor
Bah Humbug

K. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hope you're all having a good Jan.

No writing yet for me. I've been dealing with asthma for a solid week since returning from our trip and have stayed in my bedroom yesterday and today just to keep breathing. I don't know if it's the cold, dry air in the rest of the house or the real Christmas tree still in the computer room, but I've had to really limit my time outside the bedroom or I'm wheezing. I haven't had a flare-up like this in years, so I don't have an inhaler or anything around....my asthma has been controlled with daily allergy meds 'til now. It's really frustrating. I've been trying to get Tech Guy to take the tree down for several days and he keeps putting it off.

K. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #160
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finally checking in, guys.

I'm really trying to be good this month. Trying not to worry about expectations and just write the damn story, even tho tonight was another slog. and I didn't write the full 2 hours I had slated. But I made some movement. ;( It's getting too long. The re-write's gonna be a biotch.

Oh well, 3k over the last two days. Go me.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #161
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've done no writing stuff today. Except receive a PM from an AWer who was kind enough to help me out with something writing-related.

Instead, I have begun watching Alien, messed about online, done a Rune reading (haven't touched those in literally a couple of years) and just spent 3.5 hours waiting for a game to install on my desktop.

There must be something wrong with my disc drive - it's not cooperating with Win8 very well. That game took 45 minutes to install on XP.

So I guess tomorrow I'll be looking online at disc drives, or perhaps drivers for my current one to work better on Win8 or something. I'd prefer not to spend the money, but what can you do?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #162
ShadowFox

ShadowFox is well-respected
I'm a little behind schedule with my writing because I have been struggling with the latest novel.

Also, snow.

ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #163
WendyN
Write... edit... rinse... repeat.

WendyN is a shiny, shiny jewelWendyN is a shiny, shiny jewel
Spent a good chunk of time last night looking over the notes sent to me by my newest (and amazingly thorough) critique-r. The good news is, she's giving me tons of feedback that really seems to be helping me tighten up the narration and reign in my rambling; the bad news is, now I have huge sections I want to re-write but I have two other critiquers waiting on those same sections. I guess it's good to have some sort of motivation to get those changes made.
MS3 Historical Fic w/ Fantasy Elements
MS4 Shiny Futuristic Space Odyssey (WIP)
WendyN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #164
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

xXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I spent 6 hours yesterday in the school's billiards room watching Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry.

Needless to say, I didn't get very much done yesterday.

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
xXVampyrePrincessXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #165
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

bdwilson is well-respected
Got through some chapters last night. I think I've covered most of the "drop all of this" sections now, unless I've forgotten some.

I may also have solved an issue with the set-up, but I have to do a little research first. Hopefully I'll be able to use the new idea *crosses fingers*

Then I had to stop and exercise, which I really, really didn't want to do
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #166
Moon Daughter

Moon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolness
So I didn't get any writing done yesterday. I had too much house work to do (with no help from the fiance...go figure), and then I had to work the overnight shift. I just woke up and have the rest of the day off, so hopefully I'll hit the mark before I pass out. Good luck to everyone else with their goals.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #167
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

xXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have a job interview tomorrow!

And nothing to wear...

Hopefully going shopping tonight then...

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #168
Cliff Face

Good luck with the interview.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #169
Cliff Face

Edited chapter 9, adding about 200 words. Slowly getting there!

I want to get ahead today and tomorrow, as tomorrow evening we have relatives flying in from England. So Saturday and Sunday we'll probably be spending a lot of time with them, even though they'll be staying with my grandparents. And probably spending a lot of time with them for the first week in general...

They'll be here for 2 months, so at some point I'm going to have to stop being sociable, if I ever hope to get any work done.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #170
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Still a bit more homework to do today.

--

Writing wise? Well, still no ideas yet. I'm debating looking at some plot generators but I'll see. I can also look at my idea notebook too.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #171
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

Thanks, Cliff.

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #172
Cliff Face

Edited chapter 10, quite a short one, adding 100 words. 10 down, 17 to go... Over 1/3 of the way there!

Also made some official notes on my Un-Valentine's short story for the upcoming contest. The idea's been percolating for a few days, and now I have some scenes planned. Not going to overthink this one - next step is to just start writing.

It's due February 13th, so I've still got about 4 weeks to do it, but I want to get it done sooner rather than later. But it's a secondary priority after editing TEC.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #173
franky_s
In a constant state of tsundoku

franky_s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXVampyrePrincessXx View Post
I have a job interview tomorrow!

And nothing to wear...

Hopefully going shopping tonight then...

~Amber~

Good luck!
franky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #174
Cliff Face

I've been trying to read The Silmarillion for 3.5 weeks now, and I'm still less than halfway through it. So today I gave up, and started reading Good Omens. Already about 50 pages in. It's a MUCH easier read, and hilarious to boot.

And as I'll be going to the airport tomorrow night, I'll take Good Omens with me. Mum and I are meeting sis for dinner there (she works at the airport) and we'll then have a few hours before the relatives from England arrive. So hopefully I can get some reading done.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #175
ShadowFox

ShadowFox is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
started reading Good Omens.
Good choice

Just managed to write my write 1 sub 1 story for the week. A bit of a struggle week: now, back to the novel... wish me luck.

ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote