Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #401
SJNew
figuring it all out

SJNew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycat View Post
I went on a long streak of finishing every book that I started and it was Anthropology of an American Girl that finally broke it. Everyone was raving about it at the time. Individual paragraphs in that book were so gorgeous you could frame them, but the book as a whole was a mess.
I was like that when I tried to read Vellum by Hal Duncan. It was beautifully written and there were some amazing ideas in that made me really want to finish it but it just got way too confusing for me to be able to follow.
SJNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #402
Nick Rolynd
50% Dark, 50% Snark

Nick Rolynd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNew View Post
I was like that when I tried to read Vellum by Hal Duncan. It was beautifully written and there were some amazing ideas in that made me really want to finish it but it just got way too confusing for me to be able to follow.
I have that book (somewhere in my bin of not-going-to-read-any-time-soon books). I remember I started it, read a few pages, and was so confused I stopped reading and never opened it again...
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #403
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For those who have detested Heart of Darkness, some understanding and some comments:

I once read a commentary by a critic who said "Students are taught to hate William Faulkner by being forced to read The Sound and the Fury". He was exactly right. Sound&Fury is absolutely not the first Faulkner novel you should read. Nor the second nor the third.

Which doesn't mean it's a bad or unrewarding novel. Just that it's difficult, until you have absorbed more of what Faulkner's writing is about.

The same thing applies to Heart of Darkness. Conrad shares a lot of similar qualities with Faulkner. He is not the simplest, most transparent of fiction writers, and his writing has an evolutionary track. He has a prose rhythm and quality different from a lot of writers, and worthy of cultivation. But you don't start with H of D. You start with things like the shorts "The Lagoon" and "Youth" and "Falk" and the novels Almayer's Folly, An Outcast of the Islands, Lord Jim and Victory. Then maybe Nostromo, The Secret Agent and Under Western Eyes. Then read Heart of Darkness.

caw
Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #404
GinnieHazel
figuring it all out

GinnieHazel is on a distinguished road
I just couldn't get to the end of The Cloud Atlas. I gave up three times and the last one stuck. -_-
GinnieHazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #405
cmi0616
practical experience, FTW

cmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewelcmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewel
A Prayer For Owen Meany. The extent to which I hated it shocked me, because The World According To Garp is one of my favorite books of all-time. But I really didn't care at all about the characters, and the story just kind of dragged on. Yet, almost everyone I know who's read it loves the book. Maybe I'll give it another shot soon.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #406
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's always been Dune, and it will always be Dune.
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #407
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
anything by Dickens

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it Porter Starr Byrd

Yield to temptation, it may never come again
Unknown
PorterStarrByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #408
Jessica_312

Jessica_312 is on a distinguished road
Life of Pi. I don't get the hype around this novel, I keep reading and reading thinking it's going to get better, but I was bored to tears!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #409
Sarita
PBS Mind/MTV World

Sarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I flew through the first two books in the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe. And when I tried to read the third, it just kept stalling for me. 7 years later, it's still in my TBR pile, but I don't think I'll ever get back to it.

Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.~ Hugo
Sarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #410
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
It's always been Dune, and it will always be Dune.
Thanks for this! So glad I'm not the only one. It's not that I dislike any particular thing about the book--in fact, there's a lot I like very much--but I just can't make myself care enough to finish it. I've tried twice.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #411
Emermouse

Emermouse is on a distinguished road
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Between him and what I've seen of Dickens, I can't help but wonder if there was a bubonic plague or something that only took out editors during the 19th century, because holy-shmoly did these guys need 'em.
Emermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #412
davidh219
Walking Anachronism

davidh219 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarita View Post
I flew through the first two books in the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe. And when I tried to read the third, it just kept stalling for me. 7 years later, it's still in my TBR pile, but I don't think I'll ever get back to it.
Wow, this is really discouraging. I've read the first book and while it was a struggle in many ways I enjoyed it a lot. Probably the most immersive experience I've ever had with a book, but the plot was all over the place. It gave me the sense that it was more or less just set up for the next three books. I read the first few chapters of book two and found even more of the meandering, direction-less plot from the first book and wound up putting it down. Was hoping if I got through book two it would finally pick up.
― William Wordsworth
davidh219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #413
cptwentworth
Did you hear that?!?

cptwentworth leaves trails of profuse coolnesscptwentworth leaves trails of profuse coolnesscptwentworth leaves trails of profuse coolnesscptwentworth leaves trails of profuse coolnesscptwentworth leaves trails of profuse coolness
I'm trying so hard to finish The Three Musketeers. I loved, loved The Count of Monte Cristo, and I like Dumas in general. I just read a page, though, and fall asleep. It just goes on, and on, and on....
Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #414
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emermouse View Post
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Between him and what I've seen of Dickens, I can't help but wonder if there was a bubonic plague or something that only took out editors during the 19th century, because holy-shmoly did these guys need 'em.
A lot of those books were serialized and paid by the word. Not all of them, but definitely Dickens. (And I'm not saying it excuses the wordiness, but yeah, I think that was a big factor.)

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #415
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.
Another Faulkner/Conrad kind of thing for a lot of people. It's Hugo's most ambitious and whaley novel. His other two classics, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and the mystifyingly-neglected The Man Who Laughs are better introductories to Hugo.

caw
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #416
Sarita
PBS Mind/MTV World

Sarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh219 View Post
Wow, this is really discouraging. I've read the first book and while it was a struggle in many ways I enjoyed it a lot. Probably the most immersive experience I've ever had with a book, but the plot was all over the place. It gave me the sense that it was more or less just set up for the next three books. I read the first few chapters of book two and found even more of the meandering, direction-less plot from the first book and wound up putting it down. Was hoping if I got through book two it would finally pick up.
Sorry I felt like I slowly lost steam through book 2 (Claw) and I really wanted to give the rest of the series a fighting chance. I think this is the only book I've ever put down without finishing.

Quote:
This hurts Les Miserables in French or English is one of my top 3 novels of all time. I've read all of Hugo, so I guess that makes a difference. His character development is what every writer should dream of being able to achieve. Yes, the description of the sewer system was wordy, but necessary to his plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Another Faulkner/Conrad kind of thing for a lot of people. It's Hugo's most ambitious and whaley novel. His other two classics, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and the mystifyingly-neglected The Man Who Laughs are better introductories to Hugo.
The cawing bird knows best Reading order is important!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #417
Dave Hardy
Don't let your deal go down,

Dave Hardy is a glorious beacon of lightDave Hardy is a glorious beacon of light
I have a respect/dislike thing with Gormenghast. I read Titus Groan, after several false starts I finally finished it. It starts slow, but does get better. I got a couple hundred pages into Gormenghast, and I just found something else to read. Yeah, the place is full of repressed, tradition-obsessed freaks and it rains a lot. I just start wishing it would rain here.

I will go back and finish it and probably even read Titus Alone at some point, but it's a hard slog.

In the words of Hasan i-Sabah: Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Out now, from Musa Publishing, Crazy Greta: One woman against Death, Hell, and Heaven. Tales of Phalerus the Achaean: Sword & Sorcery adventure in Bronze Age Greece.

Dave Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #418
Emermouse

Emermouse is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I liked bits of the first two Gormenghast books. Tried to read Titus Alone but didn't get very far; kept suffering hemorrages trying to figure out how the hell the world depicted in Alone worked with the one depicted in the previous books. Plus Titus was never that compelling a character. Now, Steerpike on the other hand...
Emermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #419
chicgeek

chicgeek has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh219 View Post
You guys are talking about his tetralogy, right? I was able to get through it, but it took me 6 months of picking it up and putting it back down. Nothing about that series is easy, and I'll admit there were points throughout when my interest seriously wavered and I had to force myself through. His plot is indeed all over the place, but his worldbuilding is AMAZING and his prose blows me away. I feel privileged to have read it.

That being said, the sequel to his tetralogy -- "Urth of the New Sun" I just couldn't get into. According to my BF (an avid Gene Wolfe fan) the sequel plays off a lot of plot points from his tetralogy, and when I realized that, I stopped even trying to read it, because there was so much I must have glazed over in the tetralogy and I knew it would be a looong time (if ever) before I read it again.

Other than that, my worst offenders have to be -- Moby Dick and The Great Gatsby, neither of which I could finish.

Current WIP: YA Dystopian (Book One) -- 3rd Draft 110,000 / 120,000 words
chicgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #420
Sarita
PBS Mind/MTV World

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicgeek View Post
His plot is indeed all over the place, but his worldbuilding is AMAZING and his prose blows me away. I feel privileged to have read it.
So right. His prose is one of a kind and I really liked his style, but I just kept getting hung up on the plot. It stalled too many times for me. And really, this is the only series or book I ever put down and didn't get back to.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant drove me crazy at times, to the point of actually throwing the book in disgust. But I always came back to them and read all 6 books in the original 2 series within a few months.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #421
Liralen
Miss Conceived

Liralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Road, Cormac McCarthy. The prose is beautiful, evocative, masterful and I had to quit before I slashed my wrists from the sense of hopelessness it evokes.

War and Peace. No. Just, no. Bored beyond imagination.

I have learned that as much as I love the Russian composers, my appreciation of Russian literature seems to be non-existent.

Can you find the Pitbull?

WIP ~ The Black Dog Dialogues: At the raw, dark fringes of exhaustion, there is The Black Dog
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #422
Vito
Daydream Believer

Vito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liralen View Post
War and Peace. No. Just, no. Bored beyond imagination.

my appreciation of Russian literature seems to be non-existent.
Same here, sort of. I've tried to read Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment on several occasions, but never made it past the first 150 pages. I put forth a serious effort but never got into 'em, even though I tried both the Pevear/Volokhonsky and Garnett translations.

I haven't given up on Russian literature, however. I'm planning to give Tolstoy a try sometime in the near future, probably War and Peace.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #423
Sarita
PBS Mind/MTV World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito View Post
I haven't given up on Russian literature, however. I'm planning to give Tolstoy a try sometime in the near future, probably War and Peace.
Never give up on Russian literature! Give some of Gogol's short stories a try. He was just brilliant (and okay, okay, Ukrainian, but...) And Chekhov? Please! Russian literature is so dismal and stirring.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #424
Vito
Daydream Believer

Vito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudgeVito is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Never give up on Russian literature! Give some of Gogol's short stories a try. He was just brilliant (and okay, okay, Ukrainian, but...) And Chekhov? Please! Russian literature is so dismal and stirring.
Thanks for the tip, Sarita. I'm always up for some stirring dismality. (Dismalness? Dismalosity? Dismalitude?)

Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #425
calling33
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

calling33 is on a distinguished road
I loved The Lovely Bones but couldn't finish Cloud Atlas. I found it too meandering and couldn't connect to the story line and characters. Felt the same way about If On Winters Night a Traveller but Italo Calvino.
calling33 is offline   Reply With Quote