Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #17251
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I remember that remake.

I mostly remember watching it, hoping it was going to be better than it turned out to be.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #17252
parumpdragon
Flappy bat

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
Ah, 90s television...

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., American Gothic (essential viewing), Brimstone (underrated), Babylon 5, Highlander (the first season and the last are rather disappointing, but the rest is great entertainment), X-Files...
Yes, I remember most of those title, though I was in grade school and didn't watch many of them because of content .

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #17253
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
I remember that remake.

I mostly remember watching it, hoping it was going to be better than it turned out to be.
Tim Daly needs a better agent. He seems to crop up in everything I stop watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parumpdragon View Post
Yes, I remember most of those title, though I was in grade school and didn't watch many of them because of content .
Pfft. I was watching horror films when I was a kid. I saw Predator as soon as it came out on video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #17254
parumpdragon
Flappy bat

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Pfft. I was watching horror films when I was a kid. I saw Predator as soon as it came out on video.
Mom made the mistake of letting me watch Poletergeist at age 4-5, because I loved things/movies like Krull, and Willow, Beetle Juice, Legend Of The White Horse, and I had no problem with them...

Poltergeist stayed with me, a long time.

Goodreads

Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #17255
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was rather ambivalent about Poltergeist - nothing I hadn't seen before (The Spanish and Italian stuff from the 70s is MUCH more extreme).

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #17256
TedTheewen
President of the Cray Fan Club

Location: In the Land of Make Believe, where unicorns play and women are attracted to me.
TedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As a child, I hated shipwreck scenes, but that's a past-life/phobia thing with me.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #17257
BigWords
Geekzilla

I can empathize on that.

Of course, the funny looks I get when I explain why I don't wear ties can get rather tiresome.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #17258
TedTheewen

Location: In the Land of Make Believe, where unicorns play and women are attracted to me.
TedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm used to funny looks and people thinking I'm nuts. I stopped caring a long time ago. I know what reality is and I'm pretty sure I've seen a hell of a lot more of it than most folks. Some drink the kool-aid, some don't.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #17259
night-flyer
flying around in the pumpkin patch

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*searches for leftover nachoes under the couch cushions*

geez, how long have these Oreos been under here?

hounds

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #17260
night-flyer
flying around in the pumpkin patch

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*sigh*

I guess I missed everyone, I'll be back in a week or so. Save me some newbie meat. to all ye horror hounds.

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #17261
TedTheewen

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-flyer View Post
*sigh*

I guess I missed everyone, I'll be back in a week or so. Save me some newbie meat. to all ye horror hounds.
We'll keep a candle lit for you until your return, hon. Best of luck!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #17262
parumpdragon
Flappy bat

Horror of horrors the weekend is nearly over ~

Goodreads

Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #17263
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've got ISO9000 audits coming the next 2 days at work. Those could turn into long days...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #17264
TedTheewen

Greg, I feel your pain and offer ice cold beer and nachos to help you feel better.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #17265
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Never been through one before, but I've done everything I can to get our documentation ready including completely reorganizing our Setups libraries on the hard disks. We're a helluva' lot better off than we were 8 months ago. If the auditors find anything screwy it's more a matter of something we didn't foresee rather than something we intentionally covered up.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #17266
BriMaresh
New kid, be gentle!

BriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthood
Sounds like crazy fun times all around, as usual. Horror movies are best when you're just a little too young to piece them together. Anymore, I have such a hard time enjoying them - too many plot holes that make me want to scream, or reliance on plot-induced stupidity to make it work. Or, maybe, we've just gotten worse at writing horror movies.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #17267
TedTheewen

I have a list of things to work on this evening. I'm hoping to get another short story subbed off like I did last night. Gotta keep marchin' on, right?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #17268
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMaresh View Post
Or, maybe, we've just gotten worse at writing horror movies.
Depends. Some (not all, mind, but some) of my favorite horror films would count as modern. The Fly (Goldblum variety) is as tense and smart as any horror from the 40s.

And yes, I know it was made before some people on this site were born - still modern.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #17269
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Fly (Goldblum variety) is as tense and smart as any horror from the 40s.
Love that film. Even if bits of it are exceedingly squicky.

The sequel was.... well, what sequels frequently are.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #17270
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
The sequel was.... well, what sequels frequently are.
Well... yeah. But it does have a few neat ideas in there, even if the handling is as inept as could possibly be. I loved the placebo notion, and even some of the interactions had potential - on the whole it is utterly depressing, given the excellent standards of the first, but those small moments make it worth watching at least once.

Now, if it had been directed by Cronenberg...

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #17271
TedTheewen

Cronenberg rocks! That movie about the twins is a masterpiece!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #17272
Jcomp
"Upgrade your gray matter"- Deltron

Jcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriMaresh View Post
Anymore, I have such a hard time enjoying them - too many plot holes that make me want to scream, or reliance on plot-induced stupidity to make it work. Or, maybe, we've just gotten worse at writing horror movies.
I think a lot of horror movies that get the green light these days assume (rightly? alas, perhaps so) that most people in the audience view horror flicks the way they'd view a stand up comic routine--"I better not go more than 3 minutes without experiencing what I came here for." People go to a standup show and have 3 minutes straight without at least chuckling once, they get that feeling that this comic isn't all that good. I think filmmakers believe the same about horror audiences--they don't want to go more than a few minutes without something reminding them they're watching a horror flick. There has to be constant darkness, reminders of death and murder, supersaturation of "atmosphere," and ample jump scares to go around. And for some story ideas, this can work, but it shouldn't be a "one size fits all" storytelling philosophy. All too often, it's hard to fit a sensible story into your movie when it's packed nearly to bursting with "horror," "horror" and more "horror."

I remember watching The Woman in Black remake and thinking, "My God, this movie is trying so hard to scare me it's kind of annoying." Nobody in that movie could even open a door without making it look like they were about to enter the sub-basement of Hell. And I actually kind of liked it; it had a few genuinely inspired moments, but I liked the original more because it's more assured. It doesn't force the tension on you with music and abundant shadows. It lets the suitably mysterious and tense story do the work, then picks its spots and hammers it home only when it needs to.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 AM   #17273
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

We passed our ISO 9000 audit with only 3 minor problems/issues! The auditor never even interviewed me saying only that he'd taken a look at a few of my Time Studies & Setups and everything looked neat and well-organized. I'd taken pains to reorganize everything so it looks like a file library and things aren't spread all over the place (like they were when I first got there).
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #17274
TedTheewen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTSGreg View Post
We passed our ISO 9000 audit with only 3 minor problems/issues! The auditor never even interviewed me saying only that he'd taken a look at a few of my Time Studies & Setups and everything looked neat and well-organized. I'd taken pains to reorganize everything so it looks like a file library and things aren't spread all over the place (like they were when I first got there).
Doesn't it suck when you go through all that work and the auditor just looks, shrugs and says, "yeah, ok."? It makes you wonder if you could have gotten away with gibberish as long as it looked organized.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #17275
TedTheewen

Right now it seems that all the tricks have been used and scaring somebody is just a matter of which combo they use in a film. The real horror anymore comes from what they do to a well-rounded and developed character and what kind of evil, nastiness they can make that character endure. Or at least that's how it seems to me. Sure, I jump at certain things in a movie and I like that. But I like turning the movie off and wondering what's in the shadow behind me even more.

Have you noticed a certain elevation in preachyness in films? I have. I don't care how my characters vote and I don't want to know what the director thinks of various issues. The Uninvited pissed me off to no end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcomp View Post
And for some story ideas, this can work, but it shouldn't be a "one size fits all" storytelling philosophy. All too often, it's hard to fit a sensible story into your movie when it's packed nearly to bursting with "horror," "horror" and more "horror."

I remember watching The Woman in Black remake and thinking, "My God, this movie is trying so hard to scare me it's kind of annoying." Nobody in that movie could even open a door without making it look like they were about to enter the sub-basement of Hell. And I actually kind of liked it; it had a few genuinely inspired moments, but I liked the original more because it's more assured. It doesn't force the tension on you with music and abundant shadows. It lets the suitably mysterious and tense story do the work, then picks its spots and hammers it home only when it needs to.

Closed Thread