Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

Ruth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthood
World English Rights?

Is it possible to sell English World rights, except for one small country?

I'm working on a memoir/biography with a friend overseas. Today he tells me he's talked with a publisher in his country (Slovenia) who is very interested in the book. Of course it will come out in Slovene, but they also want to do a small limited run of about 200 in English to be given away as gifts.

Won't this mess up the English rights world-wide?

Screaming into the wind...
Ruth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
Old Hack
Catching up with the news
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ruth, I've peeled your post out of the thread you left it in and started a new thread so you can get the best advice.

If you've already sold English-speaking rights to anyone you can't then sell world English to anyone else.

If you then sold "world English except for Slovenia" somewhere else, you'd have two different English editions of the book which might be a problem. Can you be sure that this "gift" edition would be properly edited, by someone with strong editing experience whose first language was English?
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

Ruth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthoodRuth2 is a candidate for sainthood
Thanks, Old Hack. I appreciate it. I wasn't sure where the best place was for it.

Re: the editing -- That's one of the things I'm checking on now. What might be the best to ensure I get proper editing is to have it edited here, then deliver it there and make sure they used my version for English.

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

One other thing: The book here would definitely be a niche market. Nothing the Big Six would be interested in.

Last edited by Ruth2; 01-16-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Old Hack
Catching up with the news
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are plenty of publishers which aren't one of the Big Six. And if you try to sell your book to any of them--which I assume is what you were thinking of when you asked your question regarding world English rights--then they're going to be reluctant to proceed if there's another English version out there which people might well mistake for theirs.

Having your book edited yourself is not going to resolve these potential problems.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

I understand. This is what I needed to know. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
There are plenty of publishers which aren't one of the Big Six. And if you try to sell your book to any of them--which I assume is what you were thinking of when you asked your question regarding world English rights--then they're going to be reluctant to proceed if there's another English version out there which people might well mistake for theirs.

Having your book edited yourself is not going to resolve these potential problems.
I agree.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

Thanks, Victoria. I appreciate it.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolnessSmiley0501 leaves trails of profuse coolness
Can I ask... What *is* World English Rights?

Places you can find me other than AW:
Blog!
Twitter (tweet tweet)

YA Contemporary: (52,000) Querying. *bites nails*
V!0L3NT D3L!GHTS: (70,800) Trunked.
TH3 R0S3 K!NGD0M: (74,000) Trunked forever.
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Ruth2
Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda

World English rights are the rights to publish world-wide in the English language.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #10
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V has earned our admirationDebbie V has earned our admirationDebbie V has earned our admirationDebbie V has earned our admiration
I have a picture book done work-for-hire for a Korean publisher in English. The publisher only owns Korean rights, but I have not been able to sell the story elsewhere. Of Course, it could just be the story, but ...

Just a word of experience.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote