Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Short Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
TrixieLox
Benefactor Member

TrixieLox is a shiny, shiny jewelTrixieLox is a shiny, shiny jewel
How to write a rom com short story?

I'm doing my friend a favour and writing a short story for her e-zine because the person who was supposed to write it has let her down. Problem is, it's rom com and I don't writ rom com, I write more 'book club' women's fiction. I know the simple answer is: don't write it. But she's my friend and I promised.

I read some rom com a long time back (Bridget Jones's Diary etc) but been a while. Anyone got any tips? Does it have to be a laugh-a-minute or can it be a bit serious sometimes? Her e-zine's aimed at women over 30 - is it okay if the story is about a married couple or am I best sticking to a single woman, newly divorced or something?

Any tips welcome!

In UK bookstores or order online.

My blog (including 'journey to publication' posts)
Follow me on Twitter
Find me on GoodReads

"There is absolutely no point in sitting down to write a book unless you feel you must write that book, or else go mad, or die."

Robertson Davies
TrixieLox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Trixie,

Grab a copy or two of your friend's e-zine and read some stories. Then you will be able to see what they want. You could always ask your friend too.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
TrixieLox
Benefactor Member

TrixieLox is a shiny, shiny jewelTrixieLox is a shiny, shiny jewel
This is the first time they've run a short story, it's a new section! Usually they do reviews and so on, and they promised this would be a new series in the last issue. I did ask my friend and she sent me a link to Sophie Kinsella and Katie Fforde books, arghhhhh! Don't wanna bother her again as she's uber busy.

In UK bookstores or order online.

My blog (including 'journey to publication' posts)
Follow me on Twitter
Find me on GoodReads

"There is absolutely no point in sitting down to write a book unless you feel you must write that book, or else go mad, or die."

Robertson Davies
TrixieLox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Rom Com?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... believe I've cracked the code.
rom com = romantic comedy

what I'd do is write the story
and then look for ways to funny it up
doesn't have to be anything radical
just something here and there would be fine
and if that doesn't work then hey, it doesn't work
your pal will probably be okay with your story anyway
g'luck
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #6
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Have a girl wake up in a ditch with a stranger. Two weeks later she discovers she's pregnant. She has to work backwards to find the stranger, to figure out what happened, how she got in the ditch, what happened the night before, etc. It's a comedy-mystery-romance!

I've often wanted to write one of these, btw.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
WriteKnight
Arranger Of Disorder

WriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admiration
Meet Cute
Resist
Sidekick convinces her to try him.
Resist
He saves the cat
She falls for him.
He pulls away
Kiss in the rain.
Happily ever after
WriteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
victoriakmartin
practical experience, FTW

victoriakmartin is on a distinguished road
I'm a big fan of Sophie Kinsella so if that's what they are looking for, I would say it should contain a good amount of jokes but definitely can have serious moments as well. An interesting MC is definitely key.

As for the age thing, most of her books involve women who are single initially but Becky Brandon, the MC of the Shopaholic series, has been married for the last couple of books.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
With any new type of story I tackle, I first read about fifty published stories in the genre, and then write my own.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
JimHeskett
Writers gon write.

JimHeskett is well-respected
in the span of one short story, you probably don't have the word-count space to tell the whole tale of meeting, falling in love, etc. Start with a couple already together, have them fight about something then make up, etc. Short stories have a narrower focus than novels.