Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
ChristinaLayton
Banned

ChristinaLayton has a spectacular aura
Question Question About Microsoft Word 2007 [Solved]

Hi.

I have a simple question about Microsoft Word 2007. Is there any way to set the program so that one can jump to where one left off? For example, if I left off at say page 328 in my manuscript, is there any way that I could make it go straight to page 328 automatically when I open the document?

I'll appreciate the help.

Regards,
Christina.

Last edited by ChristinaLayton; 01-21-2013 at 11:44 PM.
ChristinaLayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... yep. A VBA macro could be written to do that.
It's a bit involved.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It needn't be that complex. I finish a writing session with three hyphens, a character string which never occurs in normal writing. (I suppose any won't-happen character string will do. Try xx, unless you mention Exxon.) When I return, I search for it, go directly there, and delete it when I begin. That way there's only one, and every search when I start for the day can only take me to the right place.

Maryn, a simple peasant woman

Takes literally about five seconds.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
LJD
practical experience, FTW

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
It needn't be that complex. I finish a writing session with three hyphens, a character string which never occurs in normal writing. (I suppose any won't-happen character string will do. Try xx, unless you mention Exxon.) When I return, I search for it, go directly there, and delete it when I begin. That way there's only one, and every search when I start for the day can only take me to the right place.
Similarly, you can insert a bookmark.

Shift+F5 works for me in Word 2010 (takes me to the last edit point), but it sounds like this doesn't work in Word 2007?
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
ChristinaLayton
Banned

Quote:

Maryn, a simple peasant woman

Takes literally about five seconds.

That is an elementary little trick, but I will try that. Thanks for the help. It hadn't occurred to me.

LJD: I would try that but for some reason the function keys (F1, F2, F3, etc) in my netbook don't work.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
Laer Carroll
Aerospace engineer turned writer

Laer Carroll has a spectacular auraLaer Carroll has a spectacular aura
As early as Word 2002 you can click the Insert menu command, then click Bookmark. No need to use Fkeys at all.

In the dialogue box that comes up you can assign a name to the bookmark. For instance, you could place a bookmark at the beginning of each chapter. Or in your case your last edit.

You then use the Insert -> Bookmark dialogue to Go To specific bookmarks. Or to Delete specific bookmarks.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The simplest possible way is just to leave a unique character string at your ending place, and search for it. I generally use "xxxxxxx". Takes about two seconds to get there.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
caw.

Maryn, communicating at a higher level
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Or, personalize it!!! I'm kkbe, so I type kkkkkk's. Christina, you could type a string of cccccc's!!!!

Btw, it doesn't matter how many, you don't even have to count; give it a try--it's functional AND fun!!!!

Last edited by kkbe; 01-16-2013 at 06:25 AM.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
kenebaker
Master of Meh!

kenebaker is on a distinguished road
If its a long piece of work, then I just insert an index. The tree sits on the left side and you move from chapter to chapter with a single click. Works especially well if you bounce all over the place.

Of course, you could also try Scrivener as a replacement for Word - and it opens were you have last left off
kenebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Wilde_at_heart
Shameless attention-whore...

Wilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
CTRL + G, then the page number.

I do like Celt-x for that reason - most of the time it opens up to where I last was writing or editing but so long as you can remember the page number then the above is just fine.

http://twitter.com/wilde_at_heart

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 90K - polishing
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Word 2013 provides a link to pick up where you left off upon re-opening a document, which is a nice little feature. Ctrl-End will take you to the end of a document, but of course that might not always be where you were last.

I would strongly recommend using Header styles to name your chapters - this way you can use the inbuilt document map (included since at least Word 2003) to quickly navigate around your file. I don't like using bookmarks, personally. I find they aren't exact enough - often jumping to a bookmark at the start of a page will take you to the end of the previous page instead. They can be annoying when passing files around others as well, as many people don't set the view options to make them visible.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
ChristinaLayton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
The simplest possible way is just to leave a unique character string at your ending place, and search for it. I generally use "xxxxxxx". Takes about two seconds to get there.

caw

I tried that since I opened the thread and it worked like a charm.

Quote:
caw.

Maryn, communicating at a higher level
Great minds think alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
Or, personalize it!!! I'm kkbe, so I type kkkkkk's. Christina, you could type a string of cccccc's!!!!

Btw, it doesn't matter how many, you don't even have to count; give it a try--it's functional AND fun!!!!

Personally, I would only write like five C's, ccccc, so that I don't lose count of how many there are making it impossible to find the marking string. That's pretty cool. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenebaker View Post
If its a long piece of work, then I just insert an index. The tree sits on the left side and you move from chapter to chapter with a single click. Works especially well if you bounce all over the place.

Of course, you could also try Scrivener as a replacement for Word - and it opens were you have last left off
This just might be the best suggestion yet. Thank you. It'll be very similar to just opening the document where one left off because I always remember the next chapter I'm working on. For instance, for tomorrow my next chapter to work on is 43, so I just find chapter 43 in the index and voila.

Is Scrivener free or will I have to pay for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilde_at_heart View Post
CTRL + G, then the page number.

I do like Celt-x for that reason - most of the time it opens up to where I last was writing or editing but so long as you can remember the page number then the above is just fine.
I will try this also. Thanks. I will try all your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
Word 2013 provides a link to pick up where you left off upon re-opening a document, which is a nice little feature. Ctrl-End will take you to the end of a document, but of course that might not always be where you were last.

I would strongly recommend using Header styles to name your chapters - this way you can use the inbuilt document map (included since at least Word 2003) to quickly navigate around your file. I don't like using bookmarks, personally. I find they aren't exact enough - often jumping to a bookmark at the start of a page will take you to the end of the previous page instead. They can be annoying when passing files around others as well, as many people don't set the view options to make them visible.

I have Word 2007, and I'd only purchase Word 2013 if I didn't have Word at all. This hand-me-down computer came with Word 2007 installed when it got to my hands, so that's what I use. I will only purchase a new version of Word if this hard drive gets formatted or something bad happens to this machine.

I will try Headers as well. This question is now solved. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Chris!

ETA: I would download a 60-day trial of Office 2013, but I'm on a 4G mobile broadband internet service and I only have 1000 minutes to download stuff, and I ran out of that just by downloading three 35-kilobyte pictures and two songs on iTunes. When I get an internet service that lets me have unlimited downloads, I'll download the trial of Office 2013.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
IF YOU DECIDE TO TRIAL Office 2013, be sure to back up EVERY document first.

Bad things can happen when you load a version jump as big as 7-13 and then decide to take the 13 trial off later.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #15
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, always back up before making any major changes to software.

Hell, just always back up.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
henmatth
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

henmatth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post

caw
Ha! I thought I was the only one who had that idea! I have been using that trick with Word for over 10 years!
henmatth is offline   Reply With Quote