Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is this (f**king) "normal"?!

I recently responded to a post asking if x was normal. I commented how we writers tend to wonder if what we're doing, or not doing, or thinking/not thinking about or worrying/not worrying about, is normal behavior. For a writer, I mean.

Then I thought, I'm a writer, so am I normal? Let me see:

1) I sit at my computer, chewing my cheeks incessantly whilst staring at the blank screen.

2) Amazing stuff flows out of me like a shit through a goose. It's a gift from God--His mind, to my hand, to keyboard, to screen. . .

It's a religious experience. Has to be.

2) I love my writing.

3) I hate my writing. And hence, myself. And hence, everybody else.

4) But I care what they think.

5) Except when I don't give a crap what they think.

6) But I want to influence what they think in a deeply meaningful way.

7) I am incredibly creative.

8) I have no creativity. I can't think of any ideas. At all. My mind is a vast and barren wasteland.

9) I am a really good writer.

10) I suck.

So, what's the verdict? Normal, or ?

Questions? Comments? Concerns?
The flour in Albert’s hair don’t last ten minutes. I end up trick-or-treating with a red-haired kid got a black dot on the end of his nose, wearing a giant bloody tee shirt. Albert don't care, he's having fun.

I admit, so am I.
/my little blog/

Avie attrib.: Pedro Sánchez
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
allmywires
Rock-licker

allmywires is on a distinguished road
Heh. Sounds like me.

But to be honest I don't worry too much about 'is x normal'. I just write. *shrug*

(I worry more about 'is x absolute sh*te but that's another thing entirely)
allmywires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't have a lot of myself invested in being normal. I just want to be able to pass for normal when it's necessary or desirable, you know?

Maryn, odd and then some
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
beautiful letters
Kate got your tongue

beautiful letters is on a distinguished road
Well if your not normal then neither am I. Aren't all writers a little off their rocker?
beautiful letters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What's normal?

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #6
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Normal is a setting on a washing machine. In other words, there is not normal.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
benluby
practical experience, FTW

benluby has a spectacular aurabenluby has a spectacular aura
Sorry. We're writers. We're usually the walking epitome of split personality syndrome, with dozens of characters running about throwing our shit out the window and peeing in the cooler.
If normal shows up, they typically duct tape him to the brain stem and tell him if he utters a word they'll castrate him with a pencil.
benluby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
mrsvalkyrie
Hounds of Justice

mrsvalkyrie has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by benluby View Post
If normal shows up, they typically duct tape him to the brain stem and tell him if he utters a word they'll castrate him with a pencil.
Not me. I slit his throat so I wouldn't have to worry about him coming back ever again. Too extreme, ya think?

The Perfect Soldier - Complete. Editing.

Afterlife Redemption (working title; formerly Realm of Fear): 47,500/80,000 -- ON HOLD
mrsvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
benluby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsvalkyrie View Post
Not me. I slit his throat so I wouldn't have to worry about him coming back ever again. Too extreme, ya think?
We can't slit his throat. He's the only one that can order pizza and beer!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
srgalactica

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
I recently responded to a post asking if x was normal. I commented how we writers tend to wonder if what we're doing, or not doing, or thinking/not thinking about or worrying/not worrying about, is normal behavior. For a writer, I mean.

lol. I was the OP on that post. I know I'm not normal. I was wondering if those fears an insecurities were normal amoung writers. It seems the answer is YES!

srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
buzhidao
can totally spell Brobdinrgnagrian

buzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbuzhidao is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's human to wonder if you are like other humans or alone in your experiences.

Everything you described sounds normal.

Here is what would be abnormal.

1) Illegally obtain an anaconda.

2) Tattoo intricate magical symbols all over it that represent, in a detailed fashion, various plot trajectories, themes, archetypes, character types, flaws, obstacles, settings, and random descriptions.

3) Repeat process with an alligator.

4) Fill a baby pool with sacred bull urine.

5) Place alligator and anaconda in the baby pool and wait for them to become locked in a deadly epic battle.

6) When one finally wins out, parse out the meaning of patterns in which injuries were sustained over the symbols.

7) Wait for the winner to poop out the remains of the loser.

8 ) Interpret the tone of the story from the nature of the excrement.

9) Kill the winning creature, stuff it, and implant a typewriter in its open jaws.

10) Drink laudanum and bull urine.

11) Pierce your lip with a sharpened crochet needle to heighten your senses and flood your brain with alertness.

12) Start writing.
buzhidao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
Mclesh
It's too hot

Mclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
KKBE, Can I just say, all of the above with reference to your original post?

Facebook Twitter Website

Check out Grandma Susie's book of love poems on Createspace!

Mr. Katz is a Zombie is now available! Eeep!
Mclesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
benluby

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzhidao View Post

2) Tattoo intricate magical symbols all over it that represent, in a detailed fashion, various plot trajectories, themes, archetypes, character types, flaws, obstacles, settings, and random descriptions.

5) Place alligator and anaconda in the baby pool and wait for them to become locked in a deadly epic battle.

6) When one finally wins out, parse out the meaning of patterns in which injuries were sustained over the symbols.

9) Kill the winning creature, stuff it, and implant a typewriter in its open jaws.

11) Pierce your lip with a sharpened crochet needle to heighten your senses and flood your brain with alertness.

12) Start writing.
Isn't that chapter one in 'Clive Barkers magical book writing course'?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #14
quicklime
Seattle-bound?

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
there is no normal. That's why Joyce Carol Oates doesn't write any normal people.

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #15
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Mclesh: KKBE, Can I just say, all of the above with reference to your original post?
By all means. You have my blessing! !

Buzhidao . . . I truly bow at your feet, assuming. . .

ETA:
Quote:
quicklime: there is no normal. That's why Joyce Carol Oates doesn't write any normal people
Indeed! Was not it she who said,
Quote:
“Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art.”
Joyce Carol Oates
The flour in Albert’s hair don’t last ten minutes. I end up trick-or-treating with a red-haired kid got a black dot on the end of his nose, wearing a giant bloody tee shirt. Albert don't care, he's having fun.

I admit, so am I.
/my little blog/

Avie attrib.: Pedro Sánchez

Last edited by kkbe; 01-16-2013 at 01:27 AM.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #16
mrsvalkyrie
Hounds of Justice

mrsvalkyrie has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by benluby View Post
We can't slit his throat. He's the only one that can order pizza and beer!
Shit. I never was one to think ahead... Well, I've got enough beer to last me the night while I stitch him up. No worries. He'll be up and running in no time!

The Perfect Soldier - Complete. Editing.

Afterlife Redemption (working title; formerly Realm of Fear): 47,500/80,000 -- ON HOLD
mrsvalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #17
Amadan
Toaster

Amadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Normal, abnormal, meh, but incessant navel-gazing and seeking external validation for every stray thought is probably not terribly productive.
Amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #18
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Varieties of Insanity Known To Affect Authors should be mandatory reading, as should the comments.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 AM   #19
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I suspect I'm the abnormal writer. I don't worry about any of that. I just sit down and tell a story. I have fun while writing it. Once I stop writing for the day, it's over.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #20
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kkbe, all those things on your list describe my writing process perfectly. Except the one where you chew your cheeks. I don't do that. I just scratch my ass and play with my boobs.
Hur hur.

Twitter

Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #21
dfwtinman
Benefactor Member

dfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdfwtinman is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's me. I've posted this in the Share Your
Life forum. I want honest critting.
Unless I don't come off as all writerly
and sh*t 'Cause then, I'm all about My Work, the hell with the audience.
But let me know if that sounds right.

Marcel Proust
dfwtinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #22
Brightdreamer
Just Another Lazy Perfectionist

Brightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for PresidentBrightdreamer should run for President
Eh, normal's overrated. Don't worry about it, and keep writing.

"Inspiration will strike you, and leave you for dead. The police will do nothing."
- from The Daily Humorscope
Brightdreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #23
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post

Then I thought, I'm a writer, so am I normal? Let me see:

1) I sit at my computer, chewing my cheeks incessantly whilst staring at the blank screen.

2) Amazing stuff flows out of me like a shit through a goose. It's a gift from God--His mind, to my hand, to keyboard, to screen. . .

It's a religious experience. Has to be.

2) I love my writing.

3) I hate my writing. And hence, myself. And hence, everybody else.

4) But I care what they think.

5) Except when I don't give a crap what they think.

6) But I want to influence what they think in a deeply meaningful way.

7) I am incredibly creative.

8) I have no creativity. I can't think of any ideas. At all. My mind is a vast and barren wasteland.

9) I am a really good writer.

10) I suck.

So, what's the verdict? Normal, or ?

Questions? Comments? Concerns?
That sounds pretty normal to me. At least for a writer. I think we're strange by definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzhidao View Post

12) Start writing.
Have you been spying on my writing process?

WIP:
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Querying
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 161K Revising
Shadowstorm (Epic Fantasy): 13,000/120,000
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #24
srgalactica

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
Normal, abnormal, meh, but incessant navel-gazing and seeking external validation for every stray thought is probably not terribly productive.
I could be considered guilty of this with needing external validation from my boyfriend, whose writing I consider to be far better than mine.

I have to work very hard to keep myself in check, or else I think I might drive him nuts with it.

srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #25
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Everyone likes to think they're special.

Writers, especially.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote