Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #26
Anna Spargo-Ryan
Just pokin' about

Anna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to behold
I know it and probably would have used it, but I guess it depends whether you're using it ("she was a real bunny boiler") instead of demonstrating the character as a bunny boiler type ("she sat at his bedroom window for four days without eating, until he had no choice but to let her inside").

Twitter | Blog
Anna Spargo-Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #27
quicklime
Bare snake-ed

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
i think too obscure, unless you're trying to capture the "Matlock" audience.....I'm closing ion on 40 and it was a film from high school, and I DO use the term occasionally, as old slang that I haven't completely left behind. Honestly, I probably have to explain it at least half the time, which would suggest it isn't doing its job any more :-(

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #28
Kallithrix
Bunneh is sleepeh...Zzz...

Kallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Looking at the responses, I think perhaps it's more common in the UK than the US? (Pretty common slang around here, even among the young 'uns who don't know where it comes from)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corussa View Post
I think you're right; I'm familiar with it (though I only saw the film in recent years) and was a bit surprised to find that most responders to the OP hadn't come across the term before.
The lack of recognition of the term has surprised me too - I thought it was so entrenched in popular culture it had probably entered the OED *goes to look*

Yup, it's in there

I'd say not obscure then, but possibly a more common saying the UK than the US, from the look of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corussa View Post
Poor bunny...
Mmmhmmm... *sob* still traumatised...

Kallithrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #29
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Can i use the term bunny boiler, as the narrator to describe an unseen character? Or is it too obscure or cliche pop reference?
Never heard the term in my life. I wouldn't know what it meant.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #30
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got the reference instantly.

If it's used in dialog, that's fine, since dialog is privileged. The use of the term also defines the character. If a particular reader doesn't get the reference presumably there's enough else that the story still makes sense.

You don't need to write on a third-grade level. Detective novelists throw in underworld slang all the time and don't bother to footnote. Fantasy novelists put in occasional words in made-up languages and no one thinks the less of them.

(I saw the film when it was first released. (Optional trivia: It was filmed in the town where I grew up so I recognized all the locations.) When the cute little pet rabbit showed up and the little girl is wondering what to name it, I said to myself, "Better name it Hasenpfeffer, because that rabbit isn't going to live to see the final credits." I glanced at my watch and predicted when the rabbit would die, and I was right to the minute. To say that was a formulaic movie is doing it a kindness.)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #31
RedWombat
Runs With Scissors

RedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admiration
I used it just yesterday, and I've never even seen Fatal Attraction...
RedWombat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #32
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For those not familiar with the movie, a woman is stalking the married MC. The family comes home to find their pet rabbit, intact but deceased in a boiling pot of water on the stove.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #33
Thecla
Imagine a story

Thecla has a spectacular aura
Chiming in to say I'm another who gets the reference instantly but hasn't seen the film. Also UK, which supports the comments upthread that it's a more common turn of phrase here.
Thecla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #34
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Eh, I'm so accustomed to seeing pop culture references in books that I don't understand that it wouldn't really bother me that much if I didn't get it.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #35
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzhidao View Post
Never heard of it (US, though).

I initially read "bunny" as a mistake for "birdie." (Lion King reference. )
The Lion King was my first thought too. I know of the term, but I've never bothered to find out what it means. (I googled it now though, it means 'emotionally unstable female stalker' according to general consensus)

Consider this another vote for 'too obscure'.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #36
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Haven't heard of it, but it sounds delicious.

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #37
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Makes me think of the Child Broiler.

...can I use that reference?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #38
Corussa
I fight like a dairy farmer

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putputt View Post
Haven't heard of it, but it sounds delicious.
Hippos must feel a lot safer than bunnies, since there are no hippo boilers out there (until they find a big enough pot).

The Wrecklings (Corussa 1) - 92k, draft #137ish
The Retosphere (Corussa 2) - 51K, first (short) draft still gathering dust
The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
The Crown Capassia (Corussa 4) - Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha
Corussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #39
fredXgeorge
I heart sexy elves and wizards.

fredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewelfredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewel
Never heard of it. Made me think of Zazu sitting on the birdie boiler in The Lion King. Or bunnies being cooked in a pot

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
- J.K. Rowling
fredXgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #40
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
For those not familiar with the movie, a woman is stalking the married MC. The family comes home to find their pet rabbit, intact but deceased in a boiling pot of water on the stove.
Ah. Now it makes sense. I was having trouble equating "female stalker" with "bunny boiler." It seemed the ultimate in non-sequitars.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #41
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
That's right, now I remember.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #42
rwm4768
practical experience, FTW

rwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputation
Yeah, I've never heard that phrase.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 105K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #43
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Looking at the responses, I think perhaps it's more common in the UK than the US? (Pretty common slang around here, even among the young 'uns who don't know where it comes from)
Yeah, references to boiling the bunnies are pretty common in my circle. Even among those who've never seen the movie.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #44
DancingMaenid
New kid...seven years ago!

DancingMaenid has earned our admirationDancingMaenid has earned our admirationDancingMaenid has earned our admirationDancingMaenid has earned our admiration
I'm also surprised that a lot of people aren't familiar with it. I'm in my mid-20's and have only seen a few minutes of Fatal Attraction, but I recognize it as a pop culture reference and know what it's referring to.

(I'm in the U.S., by the way.)
DancingMaenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #45
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Interesting to see how many people aren't familiar with it. I thought it was very common. Not sure if I've ever seen the film all the way through but as it's part of pop culture, I've just picked up the meaning over time.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #46
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I know what a bunny boiler is and I've never seen Fatal Attraction. I always thought it was a phrase that had become common usage without having to know the source material.

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #47
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I was just about to say the same thing. I reckon the majority of folks here would know the term.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #48
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
Brit here who was unfamiliar with it. Maybe it's due to my region (Scotland) or age (early twenties) though? I've never seen Fatal Attraction.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #49
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Common parlance round my way. Also rabbits are delicious!
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #50
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The only bunny boiler I know anything about is the big pot I use every rabbit season. I have a bunny fryer, too.

It's use wouldn't bother me, though, because I assume it's a reference to the most famous boiled bunny out there, which is the one in Fatal Attraction, though I don't know why or how. If that isn't it, I'd get real confused.