Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Paying Markets
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Eudaimon
practical experience, FTW

Eudaimon is on a distinguished road
Nightfall Magazine - CLOSED MARKET

3c/word for original work and 1c/word for reprints. Payment for interviews, reviews and columns as described on our Guidelines page: http://www.whitecatpublications.com/?page_id=3240.

Nightfall Magazine is a White Cat publication. We are dedicated to bringing our readers the very best in dark fiction entertainment. Guidelines are now up and submissions are open! Our first issue will come out in March of 2013. Right now, we're looking at a word limit of 5k.

No everyday dread beasties or bogies, please - we're looking for inventive horror with well-defined characters. Stories that move at a fast, creepy clip are best. Questions may be directed to the editor: dora@whitecatpublications.com.

The best way to stay in the loop will be to like our Facebook page...and, of course, we're looking for readers, too! Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited by Eudaimon; 03-17-2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to add 1st issue date. Updated guidelines page link and payment information for clarity.
Eudaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Can you define "dark fiction entertainment" before the guidelines are in place? The term seems vague enough that I have no idea if I have something suitable or not.

Maryn, thanking you in advance--and high-fiving your 100th post
Old 11-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
On the website under the guidelines for White Cat Magazine, it says you pay 5 cents a word "up to 2500 words," but you also accept stories up to 5000 words. What does that mean? Assuming you have the same restrictions for Nightfall, would that mean the payment caps out at 2500 words? Or does that restriction not apply to Nightfall?

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Rhoda, your mind-reading skills are exceptional today. I, too, hit the White Cat site, read that, and went, "Huh?" Okay, a nickel a word up to 2500, but then what? A different pay rate per word? Nothing? For what could be half a story, that's a big gap in information.

Maryn, scratching her head
Old 11-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it's a typo; Conjurings is part of White Cat as well, and I was told to that the paywall is 5,000 words, not 2,500 words.

I'll poke Charles about this, and get an official word.

Do you need cover art or illustrations? I sell that.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Err, so are there two different pay rates? Because on the Nightfall page, it says:
Quote:
Short Stories and flash fiction: We accept stories up to around 5,000 words in length, three cents per word up to 5,000 words. Reprints are paid out at one cent per word.
But as others said, if you go to White Cat's general submission page, it's 5 cents/word up to 2.5K. Which is conflicting, because why should I send a 1-2K story to Nightfall, Conjurings, etc. when I could send it to White Cat and get more money.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
Err, so are there two different pay rates? Because on the Nightfall page, it says:
But as others said, if you go to White Cat's general submission page, it's 5 cents/word up to 2.5K. Which is conflicting, because why should I send a 1-2K story to Nightfall, Conjurings, etc. when I could send it to White Cat and get more money.
I'm not ignoring this; I'm just trying to get the details straight with my boss before I say anything about any of the magazines.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
^And we appreciate it! It looks like a cool publication; thanks for looking into the grisly details.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've been reading stories from White Cat for about a year, and I'm really excited to see them turn the zine into imprints. I think good things are on the horizon for the company--and well deserved.

So, anyway, I'm excited to read more!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Hey everyone,

The EIC just told me that he's revised the various guidelines in question for clarity. White Cat magazine wants shorter stories, but pays 5c per word for them. The magazines under the White Cat umbrella will accept larger stories, but at a smaller rate.

I'm fairly new to the company, but I'll be happy to try to field questions where I can!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Eudaimon

Hello all, I apologize for dropping the ball on this thread. Huge thanks to Bartholomew & Chuck for clarifying the pay rates!

As far as "dark fiction entertainment" goes: Nightfall accepts fairly straightforward horror with or without a supernatural element. White Cat Magazine, as noted, takes a broader range of stories. Their other imprints accept paranormal romance (Insatiable), more-or-less standard fantasy (Conjurings) and sci-fi (Blue Shift), mystery (Dark Intent) and urban tales & poetry (Nain Rouge). Each of the editors has a different vision for each 'zine -- for example, I may prefer cross-genre or slipstream pieces more than some of the other editors, and other editors may favor certain themes that I wouldn't care for at all -- so it's important to submit to the publication which is the best fit for your story.

The guidelines on our submissions pages are deliberately vague, as we each work to refine our individual 'zines. If you have a story that could fit into more than one of White Cat's magazines, please visit our respective Facebook pages to get a feel for each editor's favorite themes or pet peeves before submitting.

-Eu (Dora Badger, Editor of Nightfall)
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Eudaimon

...aaanndd hello again. I just realized that I hadn't posted our Guidelines or Facebook links. Nightfall's Guidelines page can be found here: http://www.whitecatpublications.com/?page_id=3240 and our Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/NightfallMagazine - best of luck to everyone!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #13
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
Hey everyone,

The EIC just told me that he's revised the various guidelines in question for clarity. White Cat magazine wants shorter stories, but pays 5c per word for them. The magazines under the White Cat umbrella will accept larger stories, but at a smaller rate.

I'm fairly new to the company, but I'll be happy to try to field questions where I can!
Thanks Bart for clarifying that.

I have another question (I know, I'm just full of questions), but if we submit to the main White Cat zine and it's rejected, can we then send it to one of the other zines you guys run?

Oh also, how long are you buying rights for? 6 months? A year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimon View Post
...aaanndd hello again. I just realized that I hadn't posted our Guidelines or Facebook links. Nightfall's Guidelines page can be found here: http://www.whitecatpublications.com/?page_id=3240 and our Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/NightfallMagazine - best of luck to everyone!
Hmm, seems we're both interested in eyeballs. Might have a story for you after all.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
if we submit to the main White Cat zine and it's rejected, can we then send it to one of the other zines you guys run?
Shouldn't be a problem. :-)

Quote:
Oh also, how long are you buying rights for? 6 months? A year?
I'm about to head off to a wedding; I'll check when my day is over.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Eudaimon

Sorry for the delay in response, all!

We request one-time rights in digital, print, and (possibly) audio formats; they revert to you three months after publication.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Eudaimon

Heads up, everyone! Nightfall is still open for submissions. We'll be closing the door soon, though.

"Dark fiction" for our purposes is non-traditional horror fiction, darker slipstream, and fantasy of the non-sanitized Grimm variety rather than the Twilight sort of thing. Details are in the Notes section of our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NightfallMagazine/notes

Like Bartholomew, I won't go crazy if there are some formatting mistakes but it is important to follow the bulk of our guidelines. Stories submitted in standard manuscript format are likely to be bumped to the bottom of the queue, since if we do accept them they'll mean more work for me or the other Nightfall staffers to sort out. In the worst-case scenario, those stories won't even be read.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just want to be honest with everyone. If I've been reading for five or six hours straight and the last eight authors I've encountered have completely ignored our guidelines, author #9 is probably going to get the shaft (and authors 5-8 likely received progressively less friendly attention). #9 might have had something I'd really like, too.

On a happier note, the stories we've purchased so far are of a very high quality -- and this is coming from someone whose highest compliment is usually "well, that didn't suck". If you want a chance at being part of a stellar line-up, send us something soon!

Our Facebook page always has the latest information. When submissions are closed, you'll see it there first.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It might be helpful to post a non-Facebook link as well. Never mind, I scrolled up and found it.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
NinjaFingers

NinjaFingers is well-respected
I thought I was one of the guilty parties, then I read your guidelines again and whew...looks like I did it right.
NinjaFingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #19
Sochitelya
Crankypants

Sochitelya is on a distinguished road
Question about reprints. I self-pubbed a collection of short stories; would then submitting one of them to you count as a reprint, or is it just a no-no all around? I still have the rights, obviously, but I've had a couple of people buy the book.

Squidoo
Sochitelya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

I'm in acquisitions at Nightfall's sister magazine, Conjurings. Her policies might be different from mine, but I would qualify that as a reprint, unless you had exceptionally low circulation.

It's crunch time for us, but I'm sure she'll be along with an official answer before too long.

In general, submit first and apologize later. We'd all prefer to be looking down the barrel of a good story than trying to make an abstract decision about a constantly-changing industry.

-Bart