Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > NaNoWriMo and Beyond
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #226
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputationwampuscat has a golden reputation
Hope you all are doing well. Or at least better than I am. My draft is not being drafted as I'd hoped. NaNo style isn't working for it, or perhaps I'm allowing myself to stray from my goal by retooling already written bits to better suit the changes in plot that are happening in my brain since I started it. I'm making myself happy by saying that perhaps retooling now means fewer revisions later. It feels odd, since my norm is to binge-write the first draft.

Go, Cliff Face, go! That wall of the "Argh" moment sucks.
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #227
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

xXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cliff, it's an office assistant position with the university's Community Service Center. So, office work.

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
xXVampyrePrincessXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #228
WendyN
Write... edit... rinse... repeat.

WendyN is a shiny, shiny jewelWendyN is a shiny, shiny jewel
More edits last night... I started re-reading stuff I had already edited this time around, so only got through one additional chapter. It's slow, but I feel like I'm making progress, at least.

I am becoming more concerned that I'm not EVER going to get to a place where I feel it's revised enough. I can spend hours on a chapter, feel like it's great, then look at it the next day and see more things to fix... and the same thing happens all over again the next day. The prologue and chapter one have each been revised about a dozen times, whereas I've barely re-read any of the chapters in part three. Oy.
MS3 Historical Fic w/ Fantasy Elements
MS4 Shiny Futuristic Space Odyssey (WIP)
WendyN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #229
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXVampyrePrincessXx View Post
Cliff, it's an office assistant position with the university's Community Service Center. So, office work.

~Amber~
Oh, working on campus? Awesome.

I think working at a higher education place, doing whatever, would still be better than most jobs in the real world.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #230
Aj Johnson
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Aj Johnson is on a distinguished road
Now that Jan. is almost over I hope everyone did well with their goals. For me Jan. has been a recovery month...the end of 2012 was a very stressful for me, with moving out on my own with my fiancee, and the holidays. So I'm trying not to be so hard on myself because I truly think 2013 has a lot instore for me. So Jan. Recovery for me. Next month is where I'm hoping to shift gears and get this year rolling.
Aj Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #231
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have 6 days to edit 15 chapters! Ack!

Yeah, I think it'll be early February when I finish this pass...
Old 01-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #232
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

xXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
Oh, working on campus? Awesome.

I think working at a higher education place, doing whatever, would still be better than most jobs in the real world.
I don't have much for transportation options, so something I can walk to from class is good.

And I get to fill up several of those hours in the morning where I sit in the billiards room and surf the internet for, oh, I don't know, about five hours or so... Now I can do something productive!

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #233
Cliff Face

And hey, you'll be getting paid. You could buy your own billiards table before long!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #234
Cliff Face

Edited chapter 13, adding about 400 words. That's the most words I've added to a single chapter in this pass, and last pass I kept deleting words. I guess I was "feelin' it" today?

13 down, 14 to go. It would be nearly halfway, but according to my page count, I'm just *over* halfway through. I've had some longer chapters recently, and must have shorter chapters later.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #235
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

I don't even know how to play. I just sit in there because... Reasons...

I have two tests tomorrow... ._. Study time... Goodbye, internet, I will see you tomorrow, hopefully AFTER my tests, and then you can distract me all you wish...

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #236
Cliff Face

Good luck with the tests.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #237
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

Thanks, Cliff.

I was SUPPOSED to learn the names and dates of the nine most recent Japanese historical periods, and the day of the test I still don't know them...... I spent the last hour writing them out fifteen times each and then chronologically over and over and over and over and over... And I memorized them all. In an hour. As someone who isn't particularly good with historical dates, I'm kind of wondering what the fuck just happened...

But if any questions come up about the dates of the periods, I can get them right now.

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #238
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

bdwilson is well-respected
Got a bit of work in last night, though not as much as I pulled off last week I've got a bit of a busy weekend ahead of me, so that'll probably be the case until next week.

Oh well. At least a little progress is still moving forward
Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #239
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

Pretty sure memorizing the dates boosted me half a letter grade. I feel good about that test. One down, one to go.

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #240
WendyN
Write... edit... rinse... repeat.

WendyN is a shiny, shiny jewelWendyN is a shiny, shiny jewel
~Amber~ - I always HATED memorizing dates for history classes. I'd only ever retain the information until I took the test, and then it was lost forever. Historical dates I actually remember... um...
1492 - Columbus
1912 - Titanic

... and that's pretty much it. I'm pretty sure I have mild form of dyscalculia so trying to memorize dates was always torture for me.
------

Worked my way through Part II Ch 4 (roughly 15k done, 48k to go on this pass-through). Powering through; I'll be glad to get done with this draft... the goal is to have at least Part II done by the end of the month.
MS3 Historical Fic w/ Fantasy Elements
MS4 Shiny Futuristic Space Odyssey (WIP)
WendyN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #241
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

I normally hate it too. But I think I've gotten the hang of these.

History was my favorite class in high school. It was also my worst. Luckily, with my history teacher handing me so many books to read I realized that the best way for me to learn about history is through literature, and I'm enjoying it now.

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}

Last edited by xXVampyrePrincessXx; 01-26-2013 at 03:00 AM. Reason: realized I'm still in school and I should specify so it doesn't sound like I dropped out right after I did well on a test...
Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #242
Cliff Face

I could never remember dates either. Or names of historical persons. Or locations of battles.

Yeah, I sucked at history.

I still have a hard time remembering facts... Theories I don't seem to have much problem with, but nitty-gritty facts? Forget about it!

Just another indication that my mind is purely theoretical, and as such can't be counted on for much of anything.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #243
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

We all have a weakness somewhere...

Aced the second test too. I'm on a roll today. I almost wish I had another one so I could ace it too (but that involves work, and I'm lazy )

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #244
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
1500 lousy words that may end up going ,but hey, I wrote, dammit

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #245
Cliff Face

Hooray for writing and acing tests!

I spent 11 hours with family, and did no editing today. Hopefully we don't do anything tomorrow (Sunday). I'm way zonked. I need to go to bed, but I had to come on AW for a while to wipe my head of "Family Cliff" and start being "Creative Cliff" again, or else I'll have trouble sleeping.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #246
ShadowFox
practical experience, FTW

ShadowFox is well-respected
The snows melting! Yay!

I formatted and submitted two new stories this week for write 1 sub 1, wrote a couple of erotica stories too, did not work on novel.

Am up to 34 short stories in the mail.

ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #247
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Well, I'm still having issues with my homework. I really hope I can get this stuff understood and answered soon.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #248
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
Managed to bump my editing total from 86 pages to 112. Progress, finally! I just hope I can keep this up.

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 AM   #249
Cliff Face

Finished reading Good Omens yesterday, and have read 2 chapters of a new book this morning. (By an AWer, actually.) Waiting to go do grocery shopping, but then after that, I need to do some editing. Assuming we don't go back to the grandparents' place today...

I'm not reading as fast as I was in December, though. I read 7 books in December, and have read 1.5 in January so far. Ack! That half a book took 3 weeks, though, which was the main problem.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #250
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lousy 1700 words, but hey... uh this is just like yesterday....

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote