Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #6326
dkamin
practical experience, FTW

dkamin is on a distinguished road
Half way through Wizards and Glass (book 4 of the Dark Tower series). It's definitely a long one, but so far so good!

My blog- http://danielkamin.wordpress.com

And twitter- @dkamin
dkamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #6327
Vandal
In the Center of things

Vandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Last Words by George Carlin

Center Point is available from Writers AMuse Me Publishing

Dizzy Miss Lizzie returns November 22, 2014!

My website
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #6328
Dave Hardy
Don't let your deal go down,

Dave Hardy is a glorious beacon of lightDave Hardy is a glorious beacon of light
Handsome Harry by James Carlos Blake.

In the words of Hasan i-Sabah: Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Out now, from Musa Publishing, Crazy Greta: One woman against Death, Hell, and Heaven. Tales of Phalerus the Achaean: Sword & Sorcery adventure in Bronze Age Greece.

Dave Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #6329
tpolen
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

tpolen is on a distinguished road
Just finished Through the Ever Night, the follow up to Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi and it was great - liked it even better than the first of the series. Also reading The Not Yet by Moira Crone - having a hard time getting through this one. A little hard to follow.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #6330
strawberryblondie
not quite dying

strawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to behold
Getting ready to start Neuromancer by William Gibson. I've been wanting to read it for a while now, and finally snagged a copy at the library.
strawberryblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #6331
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

HarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bringing Out the Dead - Joe Connelly

My website - hoskinscrosswords.com
HarryHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #6332
milkweed
Abuses commas at will.

milkweed leaves trails of profuse coolnessmilkweed leaves trails of profuse coolnessmilkweed leaves trails of profuse coolnessmilkweed leaves trails of profuse coolnessmilkweed leaves trails of profuse coolness
Just finished The Year of the Jackpot and am now reading Methuselah's Children, both by Heinlein.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #6333
TreeJet
lost in wild thought

TreeJet is on a distinguished road
Just finished A Memory of Light by Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan. I was kind of sad to see my favorite characters' stories end.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #6334
Blake M. Petit
Geek Pundit

Blake M. Petit is well-respected
I'm on a Tolkien kick. Just finished The Hobbit, about to roll into The Lord of the Rings.
Funny superheroes, chilling monsters and much more. Here's where to buy eBooks, print books or audiobooks of Other People's Heroes, The Beginner, and all of my available writing: Blake's Now Available Page
Blake M. Petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #6335
AnneGlynn
If you don't try, you can't fail

AnneGlynn is well-respected
I'm struggling to get into The Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (after he died, the manuscript was discovered on his computer)...but I keep finding reasons to put it back on the shelf.

My website? http://www.anneglynn.com/

Most weeks, I write about writing and romance, and writing romances. Most weeks. You have been warned.
AnneGlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #6336
SJNew
figuring it all out

SJNew is on a distinguished road
The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles. I'm reading it for uni, but I've got to admit, I'm finding it a little slow to get into.
SJNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #6337
SkyeOhWhy
hopelessly devoted to crumpets

SkyeOhWhy is well-respected
Just finished Gone Girl -- absolutely loved it.

(YA Fantasy Random House AU)

TwitterFacebookWebsite

SkyeOhWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #6338
cmi0616

cmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewelcmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Just finished Dead Souls. Very clever book, it got a little slow towards the end (although I guess since it's unfinished, it wasn't really the end), but I enjoyed it overall.

I'm currently reading All The Sad, Young, Literary Men by Keith Gessen. It's so-so so far, very funny in places.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #6339
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Druid King by Norman Spinrad.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #6340
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

HarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Dice Man - Luke 'G.C' Rhinehart

Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #6341
PEBKAC
only knows enough to be dangerous

PEBKAC has a spectacular aura
On Stranger Tides
Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #6342
French Maiden

French Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admiration
Just finished the whole Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead.
Feel like I've lost my friends :'(
French Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #6343
amy--amy

amy--amy is on a distinguished road
Jo's Boys by Louisa M. Alcott. I decided that it was time to reread the series, so I started on Little Women last Thrusday and now I've almost finished the fourth and last book. Guess I didn't have much school work to do...

I've also got La Bicyclette Bleue by Régine Deforges in my bag to read when I'm on the bus or train. Some bits are really exciting, but some bits are also extremely boring... I can't believe that there are ten books in this series.
amy--amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #6344
DizScare
You make my heart skip a beet.

DizScare is on a distinguished road
I read The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan. Now I'm sad that I don't have the second book.

It was a fine story, by the way.

witchParidise! hour of hearts
Genre:Fantasy/Adventure
Age Group:Middle School
MCs:Luso Faithblade (MMC) & Jasper Drew(FMC)
DizScare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #6345
SelmaW
Follow your heart; take your brain

SelmaW is well-respected
Re-reading Don't Go Near the Water by William Brinkley. It's pretty fabulous.
SelmaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #6346
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As She Lay Sleeping by our own MarkEsq. Excellent true crime.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #6347
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Atlantic, by Simon Winchester. Nonfiction, of which Winchester is a master. A rambling excursion into the recognition of the Atlantic Ocean for what it is, its exploration, legends of sailors, etc. Enjoying it a lot.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #6348
Eternally Lost Zeppo

Eternally Lost Zeppo is on a distinguished road
Finished Mistborn: The Final Empire earlier in the week. Really enjoyed it, loved the whole character arc for Vin, and Allomancy is one of the coolest magic systems I've encountered in fantasy writing for a while. Debating whether to move onto The Well of Ascension next month or take a bit of a longer break before continuing with the series.

In the meantime, the kindle edition of Cory Doctorow's Little Brother just hit my e-reader, so I'm gonna get started on that.
Eternally Lost Zeppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #6349
Jess Haines
Boldly going nowhere in particular.

Jess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for PresidentJess Haines should run for President
Currently reading page proofs of the book in my avatar/sig. Should be done by Monday--and hopefully my copy of Delilah Dawson's WICKED AS THEY COME will arrive in time for me to start that next.

"It doesn't get much better for pure urban fantasy than Jess Haines." --All Things Urban Fantasy

Forsaken by the Others: Coming July 2, 2013
Jess Haines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #6350
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

Farewell My Lovely - Raymond Chandler