Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW Contests and Projects Room > Writing Contests, ElseWeb
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
I was nosing through the ABNA forums and there was a suggestion there that it's a good idea to download a copy of your own entry from the site and look at the excerpt as well, to make sure the formatting went through properly.
Apparently people occasionally have trouble, although mine seemed to be OK.

Tempting the Unicorn

If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.
lastlittlebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #27
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlittlebird View Post
I used the pitch, but now that I think about it my pitch does give away a bit too much for a blurb, so I think I'll give it a tweak.
I was just so paranoid that the contest was going to close before I got my entry in, I rushed a lot of the details.
I'm glad I was able to edit my entry. I used my pitch (a trimmed down version of my query) in both places which gave way too much away for the "about" spot. Thankfully I was able to go in and make changes this morning before it ends tonight.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #28
BAY
practical experience, FTW

BAY is a shiny, shiny jewelBAY is a shiny, shiny jewel
Good luck, Marika and the rest of us. We're a small group. I wonder how much the Voyager contest has weeded out entries?

I had the pitch in both places and then I rewrote something different yesterday. I also removed a paragraph from the pitch to keep it simple. I waited so late to enter, I didn't have time for pitch feedback. The squirrels would have gnawed it to death.

I'm glad I stopped the editing and entered. Bidding on e-bay has got me addicted to last second action.

Last edited by BAY; 01-28-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
BAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #29
ravenlea
AW Addict

ravenlea is a glorious beacon of lightravenlea is a glorious beacon of lightravenlea is a glorious beacon of light
This is the first year I've entered ABNA mine is dark fantasy. Still waiting to hear from HV so now I get to worry over two novels. Plus I sent out half a dozen short stories today ... yep I need a life.

Don't piss off the fairies
ravenlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #30
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For anyone interested: there's an ABNA group on Goodreads for contestants.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/93114-abna

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #31
Marika

Marika is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Aruna!

Screwing Up Time is available at Amazon and BarnesandNoble.com.
Visit My Blogs: http://connies-pen.blogspot.com/, http://screwinguptime.blogspot.com/
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #32
BAY

I wonder if I'm the only entry that checked unpublished?

When I went to the GR board (thanks Aruna) all of their books were up for sale.

Thoughts on that being an advantage or disadvantage?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #33
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mine is unpublished, and will remain so, until it finds a mainstream publisher. It won't be self-published, despite having entered ABNA four times.

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

- Gandhi
Old 01-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #34
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
Mine was briefly self published as a novella... I wrote it specifically to go through the process of self publishing and see what it was like. But, then I decided that route wasn't for me (at the moment anyway) and unpublished it before it sold many copies.
I rewrote it for the Amazon contest as a shortish novel.
So I checked "unpublished" although I guess I could have checked either.

I might end up re-self-publishing it in the end, because I'm not sure if I've entirely burned my bridges or not with publishers.
It only sold a handful of copies when it was available, mostly to friends and family, and I guess I'm hoping, after this, to send it out to small presses (I love it, but I can't see an agent or a big press going for it as it's a fairly niche book).
I guess I'll think about that after I get eliminated

Tempting the Unicorn

If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #35
BAY

I can see an advantage to being published with readers and their reviews behind you, but not until the entry makes it into the semi-finals.

I also found it interesting Amazon reserves the right to publish you even if the entry doesn't make it into the semi final. I wonder if they're trying to build up a specific genre.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #36
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
I checked unpublished on mine because it isn't published lol. I still have hopes for a legitimate publisher before I go the self-pub route.

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #37
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

OK I have a question. There is a rule that says you can't shop around with an agent during the term of the contest.

A. Does that apply even if I get eliminated during the first couple of rounds?

B. If it does apply in that case, does it apply if I'm sending the manuscript to publishers myself, rather than through an agent?

I'm guessing the fact that we can voluntarily withdraw from the contest before the QFists are announced means they can't really keep anyone from shopping around once they've been eliminated in the first two rounds, but thought I'd double check.

Tempting the Unicorn

Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #38
BAY

LLB,

You're right. If you don't make it past the pitch, you're free to shop.

If you make it into the quarters or semis and later get an offer, you have to allow A a chance to re-offer in 5 days. I think counter offers will be based on the reviews you receive.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #39
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

Cool bananas, that's about what I thought. I figured it was good to have a plan in place for when we find out about the pitch round so I don't dwell on it (I'm a terrible dweller!)

Tempting the Unicorn

Old 02-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #40
BAY

I'll probably have a hangover after Fat Tuesday and forget to check if my entry makes it through.

Passing through the gate sure would be a nice Valentine's Day gift, wouldn't it? Almost as good as chocolate.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #41
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, this is officially my waiting stations since I'm out of the running in the HV contest. Heeeeere we go again!

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 AM   #42
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

I'm trying to keep my mind off it, particularly since I've heard over and over that the first round is a crapshoot.
But my mind is stubborn.
I'm almost hoping to be eliminated so that I can stop speculating about it (um... if you're listening, contest fairies, I didn't mean that).

Tempting the Unicorn

Old 02-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #43
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

Since there are going to be 400 "winners" from each genre ( in this round), your chances are better if you're in one of the less popular categories. Most popular it seems are YA and SF /Fantasy.

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

- Gandhi

Last edited by aruna; 02-12-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #44
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

Darn it, mine is a YA science fantasy (in the YA category).

Why did everyone else have to jump on my bandwagon?? Get your own category! *grumble, grumble*

Tempting the Unicorn

Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #45
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Gak, Scoot over lastlittlebird, mine is the same, only with a distopian bent.

I'm. Toast.
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #46
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Won't the first round winners be announced soon? I remember it saying something about Feb. I would have to look. Will the winner be notified by email?

Disconnected
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #47
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wait, I'm getting mixed up. I see there's two threads of this.

I have a question, if Amazon reserves the right to publish it, but doesn't have it running in the contest, how will you know? If you see you didn't make it after the first round, wouldn't you think okay to shop it again?

Disconnected
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #48
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
Gak, Scoot over lastlittlebird, mine is the same, only with a distopian bent.

I'm. Toast.
It's time to break out the elbows. We'll make a nice little space in the crowd for us.

Tempting the Unicorn

Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #49
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

Undercover, I think the people going to the next round are announced tomorrow (the 13th US time).
Also, I was told they only reserve the right to publish your novel (or at least to give you an offer I think?) if you make it to the quarter-finals (two rounds in I believe?).

I think how it works after that, is that you can't shop it until the official end of the contest (in June? I think?) and if they haven't contacted you before then, you are free to do what you like afterwards.

ETA: Seems like I'm a little unsure about all this (I think?)

Tempting the Unicorn

Last edited by lastlittlebird; 02-12-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Making fun of myself.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #50
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

seaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(biting nails) I wonder when they'll post the first round winners?

Should be any time now.

By the way, lastlittlebird, your info. sounds right to me (I think--heh, heh)

Storybook Love: A romance novella set at a storybook park.

Something Old, Something New: A short romance set at a storybook park.

www.carolayer.com
seaaircarol is offline   Reply With Quote