Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > QUILTBAG
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How fast to develop the relationship?

I'm currently writing a YA Fantasy about a young lady in her last year of high school who's feeling conflicted about coming out. She attends a party and finds out the girls there aren't all that interesting, and disappointed, she leaves. On her way home, she meets a girl about her age (around twenty although the real age is never given) and through a series of unusual circumstancs, they develop a friendship which ripens into love.

My question is, in the fast-paced world of literature, should I have the MC declare her feelings for the other woman quickly or wait until about halfway through? The other woman is open about her sexual orientation, by the way. I'm just curious as to how the more experienced writers out there would handle confessing one's feelings and would be grateful for any responses.
J.S.F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
Satsya
slow and steady

Satsya is well-respected
How soon the confession is done depends on the type of story you want to tell. Do you want the focus more on the growing friendship or the romance? Either way could work.

Similarly, how someone confesses their feelings depends on the people involved and their circumstances. There are a million ways a confession can be done, but you have to find the way that is the best fit for your story and characters.

I think the main questions to ask yourself are: What benefits your story most? What is most interesting to you?
Satsya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
slhuang
Rhymes with wrong.

slhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What Satsya said -- it will be whatever fits the story you want to tell.

That said, I personally hate quick declarations of love in ANY genre. This hatred, however, is a personal preference and has nothing to do with the well-written-ness of the material.

Read Hunting Monsters at the Book Smugglers now!

Website *
Blog * Twitter * Mailing list
slhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsya View Post
How soon the confession is done depends on the type of story you want to tell. Do you want the focus more on the growing friendship or the romance? Either way could work.

Similarly, how someone confesses their feelings depends on the people involved and their circumstances. There are a million ways a confession can be done, but you have to find the way that is the best fit for your story and characters.

I think the main questions to ask yourself are: What benefits your story most? What is most interesting to you?
---

Thanks for the reply. The story is about a girl who falls in love with an alien who's a mercenary (okay, it's a fantasy, I did say that) and the way I've roughed it out so far is to have them say they like each other around midway through the novel. This kind of book is more like an action/adventure thing in which they find out they need each other as much as they care for each other.

It needs work, but I'd like to have it as a developing friendship which turns into a romance...but not the mushy kind of "I love you, I want you, I can't live without you" trope. I didn't do that with my previous (straight) novels and I don't want to do it with this, either.

Thanks to you and slhuang for your responses. It gives me something to think about.
J.S.F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
AWriterBlocked
figuring it all out

AWriterBlocked is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsya View Post
Great answer! Where do you want to focus AND what would your characters do? Is your MC ready to open her heart and throw caution to the wind? Does this meeting inspire her to do so? Or does she tread more cautiously?

Well developed characters do what they want to do. Not what the author wants them to do!
AWriterBlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=Satsya;7907711]How soon the confession is done depends on the type of story you want to tell. Do you want the focus more on the growing friendship or the romance? Either way could work.

QUOTE]

Agreed. I have one book where two characters aren't even revealed to be lesbian/fall in love until almost the end and the main plot is about running away from home. In another, the MC has a girlfriend by the 3rd chapter, but the main plot is about overthrowing the government. So it's up to you! (PS I think friends who develop into love is pretty awesome.)

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote