Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > Flash Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #26
sunjunkie
straitjacket test pilot

sunjunkie is on a distinguished road
Sweet! Now where'd all those ideas run off to?

Coming soon to a Facebook near you
sunjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #27
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yasaibatake,

As far as your story goes, the word length is completely up to you. The only limitation you have is the word count accepted by the market(s) you're submitting the story to.

For critiquing, Polished and Ready does have a firm limit of 1000 words or fewer for uploaded stories. However, you do have the option of using any of the Share Your Work forums (password: vista) for feedback, so if your word count is over the limit for P&R, don't worry. (Note: SYW requires members to have at least 50 posts before they can start a new thread there.)

You're going for two stories this week? Go, you!
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #28
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 4!

Strike the pose, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 4 prompt is: Camera.

You have until the end of Friday 1st February to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #29
Spell-it-out
I'm gonna give all my secrets away

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 4!

Strike the pose, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 4 prompt is: Camera.

You have until the end of Friday 1st February to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!
Three for three so far! I promise I'll stick to the prompt this week
Spell-it-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #30
Sophia
AW Moderator

Great work, Spell-it-out! And thank you to both you and Yasaibatake for the critiques you've been doing in Polished and Ready.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #31
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Great work, Spell-it-out! And thank you to both you and Yasaibatake for the critiques you've been doing in Polished and Ready.
I totally second what Sophia just said. Great job.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #32
sunjunkie
straitjacket test pilot

Congrats, Spell-it-out!

Okay so I totally failed at my first attempt, but only bc an agent requested a partial on my YA novel and my synopsis was so horrible I had to completely rewrite it before submitting.

At least I got my week 3 flash written and partly polished.

Look out, week 4! Here I come!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #33
Spell-it-out

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunjunkie View Post
Congrats, Spell-it-out!

Okay so I totally failed at my first attempt, but only bc an agent requested a partial on my YA novel and my synopsis was so horrible I had to completely rewrite it before submitting.
That's a good enough reason to skip one! Hope it goes well for you Sun.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #34
Spell-it-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc View Post
I totally second what Sophia just said. Great job.
Thank's Sophia and JVC!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #35
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunjunkie View Post
Congrats, Spell-it-out!

At least I got my week 3 flash written and partly polished.

Look out, week 4! Here I come!
Hey, congratulations on you agent request, that's great news.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #36
Sophia
AW Moderator

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 5!

Hardhats on, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 5 prompt is: Demolition.

You have until the end of Friday 8th February to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #37
Yasaibatake
is her own imaginary friend

Yasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admiration
Just got a super awesome personal rejection for my week 1 piece! I'm still excited because a) I've never gotten a personal rejection before, so that feels like a minor accomplishment, and b) I honestly don't think it's a particularly great piece, but they had some nice things to say anyway. I was all set to turn it back around when my laptop died and is refusing to turn back on...ARGH! It's done this before and I'm afraid it may be totally gone this time...appointment set for tomorrow to see if it can be saved. At least I have an ipad to type on tonight...

Moi je parle ici pour mes soeurs et frères qui se battent jour et nuit contre l'ordinaire ...je fais ce qu'il faut donc je vise très haut, et plus encore. Tu dis que c'est trop, et alors j'irai jusqu'au fond; et si c'est un mirage, je remercierai le ciel pour le stage. -"Rêves de Star"

Have a few minutes? I'd love some help with a short WIP! Progress (500 words) password: flashed
Yasaibatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #38
Sophia
AW Moderator

It definitely is a minor accomplishment; an important step along the writing career road. Good for you for intending to get it back out there!

Laptop woes, boo! If you don't already, you might want to consider something like Dropbox for storing a current backup of your writing. You can use it to access your work from any machine. Take a look at some of the (many!) threads on backups for some more suggestions: this is one recent one.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #39
Yasaibatake
is her own imaginary friend

Yasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admiration
They saved my laptop! Yay!

Thanks for the reminder Sophia - I've used Dropbox in the past, but forgot to fix the auto synch when it failed a distressingly long time ago (like, two years ago...) so everything was really out of date. It's now re-installed and all my files updated

Moi je parle ici pour mes soeurs et frères qui se battent jour et nuit contre l'ordinaire ...je fais ce qu'il faut donc je vise très haut, et plus encore. Tu dis que c'est trop, et alors j'irai jusqu'au fond; et si c'est un mirage, je remercierai le ciel pour le stage. -"Rêves de Star"

Have a few minutes? I'd love some help with a short WIP! Progress (500 words) password: flashed
Yasaibatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #40
LeadHead
practical experience, FTW

LeadHead is on a distinguished road
Hi! I might give this a go if that's OK. It might be a good way to ease me into writing regularly.

Just a quick question. Is there a 50 post limit like on the SYW boards?
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #41
Sophia
AW Moderator

Hi LeadHead! It's definitely okay. Anyone can jump in at any time!

There's no 50-post limit in Polished and Ready, but be aware that there is an upper word-count limit of 1000 words.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #42
sunjunkie
straitjacket test pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc View Post
Hey, congratulations on you agent request, that's great news.
Thanks, jvc! That whole process makes me so bonkers it's a wonder I can still function at all And did I mention... BANANA!

OMG I've been MIA! Guess I was too optimistic thinking I could keep up with novel queries and this. I did make some progress on the piece I started for week 4. And even if I win only a few weeks out of the year, that's beats giving up.

Welcome, LeadHead!

And congrats, Y!

Last edited by sunjunkie; 02-08-2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: forgot to say banana!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #43
Sophia
AW Moderator

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 6!

Pencils in hand, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 6 prompt is: Life drawing.

You have until the end of Friday 15th February to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #44
LeadHead

LeadHead is on a distinguished road
Did my first one last week so I'll try and keep it up. This looks like an interesting prompt as well!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #45
pernickety

pernickety is on a distinguished road
I've just wandered in here 6 weeks too late but am hoping to give it a go anyway. Hope to be back soon!
pernickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #46
IrishRover
uʍop ǝpısdn sı ǝɟıl

IrishRover is on a distinguished road
Hey fellow flash fictioneers, I'm new here but think I'll give this a go. Haven't written flash fiction before, but hopefully it'll give me a bit of a kick start to write a bit more.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #47
Spell-it-out

Great to get some more company, welcome!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #48
sunjunkie
straitjacket test pilot

WTG, Lead!

Good to see more people joining in

I'm being consistent with my pattern of getting part or all of a flash written each week, but that's about it. You won't see me for the next 10 days or so. I'm off to sunny Las Vegas to get out of the midwest winter for a while. LV is GREAT for people watching! And that's great for story ideas. Now if I can just read my drunken scribbles...

Keep up the good work, flashers!

Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #49
Sophia
AW Moderator

Enjoy your holiday, sunjunkie!

It's been great seeing you all helping each other out in Polished and Ready. New participants, don't worry if you're taking tentative steps at first. This is all about developing a new writing routine and doing it in the company of friends. Relax, push yourself a little each day, and you'll soon get settled. You can do this!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #50
Spell-it-out

Just submitted my 6th flash fiction in as many weeks, had to do it a day early as I'm off for two nights to 'celebrate' (?) Valentines!