Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Now We're Cookin'!
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #526
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
Ah, sorry. I didn't look at the timestamp on your post, so my bad, not yours.

The recipe I had used a mixture of minced garlic, parsley, and ricotta, if memory serves, with a little parmesan and nutmeg; rather similar, actually, to the filling I use for manicotti, which is one reason I chose it. I actually thought both the filling and the sauce in the recipe as written seemed bland, but it worked when it was cooked, so I stuck with it.

I use flank for mine, but if the sirloin works, hey, sounds good to me!
Ricotta? Really? Ha, I never would have thought to use that and I had some too. I saw one that asked for mozzarella but figured it would dissolve in the sauce. I'm good at sauce and meatballs, but not much else. Grew up eating what I thought (doesn't everyone?) was the best Italian food around. We never ate in Italian restaurants. Wait, except for this one place called Delletusso's. I swear they must have made the sauce from scratch after you came in- that's how fresh it was and that's how long you waited for it.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #527
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormie View Post

Just saw this and wish I could've helped, but I've never made bracciole nor did my mother, and it's not in her favorite Italian cookbook from the 1950s. (The Talisman Italian Cookbook)
That's okay Stormie. Maybe next time.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #528
Sarita
PBS Mind/MTV World

Sarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip-Hop-a-potamus View Post
Mustard-Spiced Cabbage with White Beans and Sausages.
I make something quite similar on a regular basis, only I use kale (why wouldn't I ) and instead of fennel and cardamom, I use red chili flake and coriander. Yum.

Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.~ Hugo
Sarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 AM   #529
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
Ricotta? Really? Ha, I never would have thought to use that and I had some too. I saw one that asked for mozzarella but figured it would dissolve in the sauce. I'm good at sauce and meatballs, but not much else. Grew up eating what I thought (doesn't everyone?) was the best Italian food around. We never ate in Italian restaurants. Wait, except for this one place called Delletusso's. I swear they must have made the sauce from scratch after you came in- that's how fresh it was and that's how long you waited for it.

I sometimes add a spoonful or two of ricotta to a bolognese sauce, if you're ever making sauce and looking to use up some ricotta. It's nice. Kind of like adding milk or cream (which I also do), but silkier and with deeper flavor.

And of course, if you have a parmesan rind to toss in while the sauce simmers, that's also quite nice.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #530
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's 5:20 p.m. I haven't stared in the pantry yet. *sigh*

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #531
Bebop
Self-Banned

Quote:
I sometimes add a spoonful or two of ricotta to a bolognese sauce, if you're ever making sauce and looking to use up some ricotta. It's nice. Kind of like adding milk or cream (which I also do), but silkier and with deeper flavor.

And of course, if you have a parmesan rind to toss in while the sauce simmers, that's also quite nice.
Sounds good actually. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #532
tarawriter
New kid, be gentle!

tarawriter is on a distinguished road
Crockpot BBQ Chicken. It's one of my go-to easy meals. The whole house smells wonderful as it cooks.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #533
quicklime
Bare snake-ed

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
paleo (primal) carnitas....fatty, crispy, porky goodness with cilantro and lime.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/crisp...#axzz2Kji4glDX

not just good, "it makes me happy in my pants" good

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #534
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm sort of lazy today. Frozen cheese raviolis w/ tomato sauce. (Three cloves garlic, smashed and chopped) cooked in a bit of extra virgin olive oil for 30 seconds in the microwave, dump in a can or two of crushed tomatoes, add dried basil and cracked pepper, microwave for about 20 minutes while water comes to a boil for ravs.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #535
Kewii
practical experience, FTW

Kewii is a shiny, shiny jewelKewii is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'm really excited to try making this tonight:
Jalapeno Popper Chicken

I've been looking forward to it all week.

"You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve."
-J.K Rowling

My New Blog

I'm (Gonna) NaNo

Kewii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #536
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okay, I'm in. That Jalapeno Popper Chicken looks delicious! And I'm going food shopping today. In the summer we grow jalapenos and I needed more recipes using them.

Thanks, Kewii!

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #537
Kewii

Quote:
Okay, I'm in. That Jalapeno Popper Chicken looks delicious! And I'm going food shopping today. In the summer we grow jalapenos and I needed more recipes using them.

Thanks, Kewii!
It was fantastic. I honestly think it's one of the best things I've ever made. Enjoy!

-J.K Rowling

My New Blog

I'm (Gonna) NaNo

Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #538
L M Ashton
crazy spec fic writer

L M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputation
Yesterday and today was tom yum soup. It's fabulous - the soup, in general, that is. I have a cold, so I have no working tastebuds. The husband told me it was good, so I'm taking his word for it. When tom yum soup is done well, it's absolutely fantastic. I used this recipe. Mostly. With some variations. If you haven't had tom yum soup, you really owe it to yourself to hunt some down.

Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | LinkedIn | Walking the World | Chilli & Chocolate
L M Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #539
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I made the most amazing beef stew last night, courtesy of Cooking Light magazine.

Basic Beef Stew with Carrots and Mushrooms: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/basi...0000001142004/

Yum! I'm pretty sure it's the 1 cup of red wine that really makes it. Sometimes I even put some in the stew!

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:53 AM   #540
L M Ashton
crazy spec fic writer

L M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputationL M Ashton has a double-platinum reputation
I felt well enough yesterday to prepare actual solid food instead of just soup. So I made a spicy Sri Lankan roast chicken with roast potatoes, carrots, and shallots in the same marinade as the chicken. I think I've very nearly got my modifications down to where it's finished being tweaked.

Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | LinkedIn | Walking the World | Chilli & Chocolate
L M Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #541
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip-Hop-a-potamus View Post
I made the most amazing beef stew last night, courtesy of Cooking Light magazine.

Basic Beef Stew with Carrots and Mushrooms: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/basi...0000001142004/

Yum! I'm pretty sure it's the 1 cup of red wine that really makes it. Sometimes I even put some in the stew!

If you're ever in the mood to try something a little different and (IMO) even more delicious, use dark beer instead of red wine.

Trust me.

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #542
stormie
storm central

Roast chicken.

We went to a store today that specializes in different olive oils and where they supply tiny cups and bits of bread to taste each olive oil. Hubby and I were in heaven and spent an hour there. We bought an olive oil that is olives pressed with blood oranges.

So.... We have a rosemary plant outside that refuses to give in to winter weather so we'll cut some and put sprigs of rosemary inside the chicken, rub a bit of the blood orange olive oil on the skin and add more rosemary on top.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #543
Lavern08
When All Else Fails, Lavern It©

Lavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Eh,

Something simple.

Meatloaf - Mashed Potatoes and Stir-fried Collard Greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailD View Post
You haven't lived 'til you've been Laverned!

Kylabelle: Laverning is how I get through the long days... (Don't ask about the long nights, just don't)
Lavern08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #544
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Quote:
Roast chicken.

We went to a store today that specializes in different olive oils and where they supply tiny cups and bits of bread to taste each olive oil. Hubby and I were in heaven and spent an hour there. We bought an olive oil that is olives pressed with blood oranges.

So.... We have a rosemary plant outside that refuses to give in to winter weather so we'll cut some and put sprigs of rosemary inside the chicken, rub a bit of the blood orange olive oil on the skin and add more rosemary on top.

I'm sure you've already made your chicken--and that sounds awesome!!--but try tucking some of the rosemary under the skin next time. Just slip your fingers under the skin and break the membrane holding it to the meat, and shove the rosemary sprigs in there. (I always stick a quartered onion and some rosemary into the cavity, too!)

I'm so jealous you have a rosemary plant. I had one of those "rosemary trees" once, and it was doing well until my mother overwatered it. I tried everything to save it but I had to give up. And really, with the amount of rosemary I use in a week or month, an actual plant would have no hope of keeping up with demand.

How did the chicken turn out?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #545
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
If you're ever in the mood to try something a little different and (IMO) even more delicious, use dark beer instead of red wine.

Trust me.
Yep! Done that too! I like em both for different reasons (and different moods).

Tonight, I made a Sausage and Mushroom Ragu with Polenta. Also Cooking Light, and also AMAZING (especially with more red wine)

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 ounces Italian sausage (I like the kick of the spicy versions.)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I prefer the petite diced version.)
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked polenta
4 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon butter

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a skillet over medium heat.
Remove sausage from casings and add to pan; saute until browned, stirring to crumble.
Remove sausage from the pan.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and swirl to coat.
Add onion, sauteing until golden.
Add mushrooms, cooking until softened.
Add garlic, saute briefly, until fragrant.
Return sausage to the pan with tomatoes.
Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
Add polenta slowly, whisking well to avoid lumps.
Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, cheese, and butter.
Serve with sausage mixture. (4 servings)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #546
Kewii

Today I'm making Sante Fe Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed Peppers Looks easy and yummy

-J.K Rowling

My New Blog

I'm (Gonna) NaNo

Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #547
GeorgeK
ever seeking

GeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

You can do the same with an egg but whisk well so it blends and doesn't just scramble. This is also a way to incorporate more fat into a gravy if you didn't have enough flour. Eggs contain emulsifiers that will get fats and water to combine.
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #548
GeorgeK
ever seeking

GeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGeorgeK is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Trust me.
Yep. The wine lends a fruitiness which some prefer, but I use beer, it lends a slightly grainlike mushroominess
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #549
stormie
storm central

Quote:
How did the chicken turn out?
It was raining and cold and I was tired so I didn't traipse outside for the rosemary. But I did drizzle the blood orange olive oil over the chicken, rubbed in a bit of coarse sea salt, and sprinkled a little poultry seasoning over it. I roasted it on a rack in a shallow pan at 400 degrees F., for about an hour and a half (internal temp in breast area was 170 degrees F.). Turned out very moist and absolutely delicious! It had a citrusy taste, more than if I just squeezed a bit of orange over it (which I've done with lemons in the past).

When I do use the rosemary next time, I'll remember to put some under the skin. Good idea!

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #550
JustinlDew
Shortest Query Winner.

JustinlDew is on a distinguished road
Got a new cast iron roaster so I'm cooking a chicken with onions and carrots, and bakIng potatoes to go with it.
It smells delicious
Groundhog Day Indiana Jones Fantasy: 8000/100000 Steampunk: Editing! Modern Fantasy: Rewriting. Epic Fantasy: Outlined. Urban Fantasy: Trunked.
JustinlDew is offline   Reply With Quote