Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Hands-On
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
JoyMC
practical experience, FTW

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
Harry Potter Quilt

Hi there,

This is my first foray into this section - I mostly post in the Writing for Kids section. But I thought this would be the appropriate place to share my newly completed Harry Potter quilt. (Or rather, completed quilt top. I still have work to do. But I'm excited about it so far.)

Here it is:

I hope you like it! I have had so much fun making it so far!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Clovia
Flying blind on a rocket cycle.

Clovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow! That is amazing.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
SunnyE
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

SunnyE is on a distinguished road
I love it!! You obviously put a ton of work into it, and it's just wonderful.
SunnyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*continues to swoon over Joy's quilt*

So tell us more about your kidlit quilt you are planning!
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
sassandgroove
Sassy Crafter

sassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That is really cool.

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
(image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)
If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.
sassandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's a sweet quilt top. How are you planning to quilt it?
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
Thanks so much everyone! This was my first quilt (aside from one very small just squares quilt I made a few years ago) and it turned out to be very fun. The pattern is available online block by block here: http://sewhooked.com/harry-potter/

And the same people are just starting a year long Lord of the Rings quilt-making project. I don't care about LOTR, though. I wish they'd do Narnia. But the LOTR one is here: http://www.fandominstitches.com/2013...t-month-1.html

And Kitty, it's still just in the brainstorming stage, but I'm thinking about another bookshelf quilt with the same set-up as this Harry Potter one, but the titles would be real titles of kid lit books - Ramona the Pest, Charlotte's Web, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - and then the main thing would be figuring out all the different objects to place on the shelves that would pertain to the books I put on. So far I've thought of:

Oz - ruby slippers
Harry Potter - probably Hedwig & the glasses
Charlotte's Web - a web with SOME PIG written in it
Mouse & the Motorcyle - a toy motorcycle
Ramona - a drawing of a Q like a cat
Despereaux - red cloth & needle
Winnie the Pooh - pot of hunny
Charlie - Wonka Bar w/a golden ticket
Ballet Shoes - um, ballet shoes
Mary Poppins - umbrella standing up next to the bookshelf, like the broom in this one.

I would like to include Narnia, Little House, and Anne of Green Gables, but am not sure of objects for those. Also Peter Pan.

The thing with the kidlit idea is it requires me to learn to design the blocks - I didn't have to do that for the Harry Potter quilt - it was all designed for me. I'm also considering just doing it as a painted wall mural, although I trust my sewing skills far more than my painting ones.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
JoyMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
That's a sweet quilt top. How are you planning to quilt it?
Thanks. The previous quilt I did was just knot-tied. So I'm a little nervous about the quilting, but am just planning to do stitch in the ditch around the shelves and books and various objects. I'm actually going to buy a walking foot this afternoon!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
KateH
[insert witty title here]

KateH is on a distinguished road
Wow, that quilt is beautiful. As a Harry Potter fan, I love it!
KateH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
sassandgroove
Sassy Crafter

sassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I would like to include Narnia, Little House, and Anne of Green Gables, but am not sure of objects for those. Also Peter Pan.
what great ideas. for Narnia, you could use Lucy's bottle or SUsan's bow. for Peter Pan you could have Tink. or a clock heh heh. I'd have to think about Anne. maybe a broach like she's accused of taking?or a slate like the one she breaks over Gilbert's head.

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
(image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)
If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.
sassandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
JoyMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassandgroove View Post
I'd have to think about Anne. maybe a broach like she's accused of taking?or a slate like the one she breaks over Gilbert's head.
Oooh, yeah, I love the idea of a couple of pieces of broken slate! Thanks!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post

Oz - ruby slippers
Harry Potter - probably Hedwig & the glasses
Charlotte's Web - a web with SOME PIG written in it
Mouse & the Motorcyle - a toy motorcycle
Ramona - a drawing of a Q like a cat
Despereaux - red cloth & needle
Winnie the Pooh - pot of hunny
Charlie - Wonka Bar w/a golden ticket
Ballet Shoes - um, ballet shoes
Mary Poppins - umbrella standing up next to the bookshelf, like the broom in this one.

The thing with the kidlit idea is it requires me to learn to design the blocks - I didn't have to do that for the Harry Potter quilt - it was all designed for me. I'm also considering just doing it as a painted wall mural, although I trust my sewing skills far more than my painting ones.
Block design: these are all foundation pieced? (Based on the site you linked to.) How do you feel about straight-up applique? Draw the object on fabric, and apply that to the block. That way you wouldn't have to work out the correct sequence of little geometric pieces, and how they'd all fit together. You could do a mix of foundation piecing and applique blocks, as seems most suitable.

Narnia: A lion
Little House on the Prairie: a log cabin, just because
it would be more recognizable that a sod cabin. Or,
a couple of Sunbonnet Sue-type girls to represent the
sisters.
Little Women: 4 girls
All Pony Books, and The Black Stallion: a black horse. And, a
white one for The Little White Horse. Maybe mirrors of
each other?
Peter Pan: how about Tinkerbell trapped in a lantern? The ball
of light in a lantern outline? Or Peter's green pointy cap?
Nancy Drew: a magnifying glass?
All of Dr. Suess: summed up by the Cat in the Hat's hat.
Peter Rabbit: little blue jacket.
Ruth Chew witch stories: a witch's hat.
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Awesome!

Thanks for the links - I think the HP one is far superior to the LOTR one. Shame, because I would have liked to do the LOTR one.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
JoyMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
Block design: these are all foundation pieced? (Based on the site you linked to.) How do you feel about straight-up applique?
I've never done it. (I mean, I've appliqued little figures onto t-shirts for my kids, but not applique quilting.) I could see how it would be easier. But I actually really enjoyed the paper piecing technique.

I want the objects to be things that would fit on a bookshelf, so a lion or a log cabin wouldn't work. In the HP quilt, it's only items that might actually be found on Harry's bookshelf (which is why the broom has to be at the side). I could do just a kid lit quilt that had things of different sizes, like log cabins and blue bonnet girls, and I might someday. But I like the idea of interspersing the objects with the books.

But I love the idea to include Dr. Seuss' hat! I'll definitely use that, paper pieced or not! Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #15
frimble3
Heckuva good sport

frimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for Presidentfrimble3 should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMC View Post
I want the objects to be things that would fit on a bookshelf, so a lion or a log cabin wouldn't work. In the HP quilt, it's only items that might actually be found on Harry's bookshelf (which is why the broom has to be at the side). I could do just a kid lit quilt that had things of different sizes, like log cabins and blue bonnet girls, and I might someday. But I like the idea of interspersing the objects with the books.

But I love the idea to include Dr. Seuss' hat! I'll definitely use that, paper pieced or not! Thanks!
I'm sorry I wasn't clearer (it was so clear in my head ). I was thinking of the lion, (and the horses) as sort of china animals. If your books are more-or-less life size, the animals would be about the size of a book, as well.
Actually, the two horses would make nice book ends.
frimble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Awesome quilt, Joy.

Maryn, whose quilt remains 1/3 finished for all eternity
Maryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
JoyMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
I'm sorry I wasn't clearer (it was so clear in my head ). I was thinking of the lion, (and the horses) as sort of china animals. If your books are more-or-less life size, the animals would be about the size of a book, as well.
Actually, the two horses would make nice book ends.
Oh that would certainly work then. I like the idea of book ends!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #18
chloecomplains
Pinkamena Diane Pie

chloecomplains is on a distinguished road
That quilt is fantastic! Great job!

Have you considered at all free motion quilting in the negative space as an alternative to the stitch in the ditch? It might be a little late for that now (I see this was posted a couple weeks ago), but it's a good way to avoid any concerns about messing up the quilt, and it looks impressive.
chloecomplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
maryrider
Dreamer. Believer. Overthinker.

maryrider is on a distinguished road
Merlin's beard, that's brilliant!