Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW Contests and Projects Room
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #26
Phuein
i.e. Assaf Koss

Phuein is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Think of it as a country-western song.
So true haha :=D How about getting the zombie husband to avenge his death?
Phuein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #27
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

KKBE,

If I can try and tackle this you can do the same.

A not so subtle hint: As for the blowing the husband's brain out, if he wasn't human it wouldn't matter.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. — Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Calliopenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 is a splendid one to beholdlisalulu09 is a splendid one to beholdlisalulu09 is a splendid one to behold
I have no idea what to do with this. I have a poem that needs to be made funnier to submit it, or an idea for a novella that I could do a bit of for this. Thoughts?
The Pages of My Heart - YA Contemporary Romance - On hold

Reading:
"Starcrossed" - Josephine Angelini

Twitter
Tumblr
lisalulu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #29
Calliopenjo
Esteemed thinker

Location: In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.
Calliopenjo has a spectacular aura
Smile

Make fun of cupid or Aphrodite or Venus for that matter. Have Hercules fall in love with Hera.

Keep in mind these are the just ramblings of a mad writer.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. — Victor Herbert (1859-1924)
Calliopenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #30
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Humorous as in, off kilter maybe? Or just off? I wasn't gonna. . .

My little blog: /todays-favorite-fives/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #31
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Off-kilter, askew, black humor...it's all good.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #32
Rockweaver
practical experience, FTW

Rockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
I am seriously doubting if I can do this one. I tried, and ended up writing a short story about an abused woman who decides to blow her husband's brains out. Trying to put a humorous spin on that has proven somewhat . . . difficult.
make the entire thing a dream and then twist reality just a little.

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.
ME

Growing old is required. Growing up not so much.
Rockweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #33
jennontheisland
the world is at my command

jennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Can't do this because of school, but I know exactly where I'd go with it...

The initials for Valentine's Day are VD.

Eat This.
jennontheisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #34
toldyouso
Surly Temple

toldyouso has a spectacular aura
Hmmmm. I don't know if I will at all pull it off but a challenge sounds fun. I'd like to see the results everyone else come up with.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #35
jennarielly
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

jennarielly is on a distinguished road
Sounds fun! I think I'm gonna give it a shot! We shall see, I've never really tried humor before
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #36
dclary
Survivor

dclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mac, some rules claryfications...

What is the deadline?

Can we use previously published materials?

Hard Hobbit to Break: A hobbit from the Shire, lost in Los Angeles.

Big Fat Loser Diet: My weight loss journal.
Website a Week: A challenge to design a new website every week.
DavidWClary.com: Keep up with all the other DWC sites here
dclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #37
Ravenheart
Trying to figure it out.

Ravenheart is on a distinguished road
I will be leaving for warmer weather on 2/11... without my laptop which is busted. Can I still email an entry but on 2/10?

WIP - Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Currently at 48,056 Words & Counting (Maybe more if I didn't update my signature today)
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #38
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
Maybe not. Been working on a short something, on and off. Got the idea from quickWit. He has no clue, btw. Picture the dancing bunneh being my muse on this one. Some things just should not see the light of day. . .

Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #39
Putputt
is a godmama!

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Maybe not. Been working on a short something, on and off. Got the idea from quickWit. He has no clue, btw. Picture the dancing bunneh being my muse on this one. Some things just should not see the light of day. . .

My god. A story inspired by quickWit, written by kkbe...that will be one twisted tale...

blog
: Interview with slhuang about her newly-released book!
Twittur

Repped by SLA.

Putputt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #40
kkbe
Huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putputt View Post
My god. A story inspired by quickWit, written by kkbe...that will be one twisted tale...
You have no idea.

Still uncertain, btw. It's touch and go right now.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #41
Rockweaver
practical experience, FTW

Rockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputationRockweaver has a golden reputation
i have mine in edit today..

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.
ME

Growing old is required. Growing up not so much.
Rockweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #42
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Haven't touched mine in about a week... Been editing my novel, which should be finished later today. So after that, I'll get back to polishing my contest short.

I'm glad I worked on it early after the contest was announced... Not sure I'd have the energy or time to really make it worthwhile now if I hadn't already got most of it done.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #43
J.L. Duncan
permaflounced

J.L. Duncan is on a distinguished road
Is there a specific format we should use or a place that explains more about this contest?

Thanks ahead-
J.L. Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #44
kkbe
Huh.

J.L., the very first post #1 in this thread, re: Mac, states~
Quote:
YOUR mission, should you choose to accept it:

Write a poem or short story (less than 5K words) and email it to submissions (AT) absolutewrite.com before midnight, the night before Valentine's Day.

Your story should contain strong elements of humor, and should attempt to subvert, twist, parody, or otherwise mess with the regular romance/Valentine's Day tropes, motifs, and themes.
She also wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if there are any kind of parameters relative to who can enter -- if it matters how long a person has been on AW, or how many postings a person has. Not sure of prizes or anything like that. I'm sure Mac'll pop in with a few more specifics. In the meantime, is there something else you wonder about?

Like, I was wondering if I was actually gonna enter this thing and God help me. . .

Last edited by kkbe; 02-08-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: i.e.e.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #45
J.L. Duncan
permaflounced

Hello-

Time is running out and I almost got something....

It's almost funny
Almost cute.
No lute-
Whew!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #46
J.L. Duncan
permaflounced

Quote:
J.L., the very first post #1 in this thread, re: Mac, states~
She also wrote:
I don't know if there are any kind of parameters relative to who can enter -- if it matters how long a person has been on AW, or how many postings a person has. Not sure of prizes or anything like that. I'm sure Mac'll pop in with a few more specifics. In the meantime, is there something else you wonder about?

Like, I was wondering if I was actually gonna enter this thing and God help me. . .
Thanks for the reply.
Just making an inquiry while navigating the site; I’m not totally foreign to forums, but it never hurts to ask for clarification.
Appreciate it!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #47
J.L. Duncan
permaflounced

Thanks for the reply.
Just making an inquiry while navigating the site; I’m not totally foreign to forums, but it never hurts to ask for clarification.
Appreciate it!

Edit: Why not? Who doesn't love to hate Valentine's?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #48
kkbe
Huh.

Feb. 11, 5:30ish a.m., which means calculating, calculating less than three days left before the Un-Valentine's Day Contest deadline.

(In case people were wondering. Which they probably weren't. Because they have calendars. )

Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #49
Putputt
is a godmama!

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm not sure where my story's going. might have to sit this one out. Booo!

blog
: Interview with slhuang about her newly-released book!
Twittur

Repped by SLA.

Putputt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #50
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
With one thing and another cropping up lately, I still need to finalise mine.

Hopefully going to find time to edit it one more time today, then submit it. I keep forgetting about it because I haven't touched it in so long... Don't want to miss the submission deadline!
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote