Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
ios
Weirdo.

ios is well-respected
Personal POD Project?

I have an oddball question. I want to make a few books just for personal use, but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars doing so.

I don't want spiral binding. One of the books will use color photos. The other will be just like a fiction book. Both will have covers--probably in color. I want to be able to print the books again if need be, but I don't want to sell the books.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jodi

Mother Goose is Dead (Contributing author) | Chiaroscuro House website (Pending) | CH Edits blog (Pending)
ios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Spell-it-out
I'm gonna give all my secrets away

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
Check www.createspace.com
Or,
Local printers may be able to do a job for you.
Spell-it-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
www.lulu.com (for color inside), www.createspace.com for black and white interior.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
ios
Weirdo.

ios is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrihiatt View Post
www.lulu.com (for color inside), www.createspace.com for black and white interior.
I would really like to use Create Space if I could, but I wasn't sure if they allowed personal printings. I thought the default was to sell through other vendors/stores. The "books" aren't things I want just anyone reading.

To be more specific, one is a version of a book I am writing. I am redoing it completely, but I want to preserve several copies. One for personal pleasure. The other to annotate for use in the rewriting the book/series. I don't want people ever buying it. I also plan on writing stories/novels I don't plan on sharing with anyone else, but I want a copy to re-read just like a book. The other is a journal/diary with pictures. I don't like handwriting a diary. And I don't like it just on my computer or on printouts. And I definitely don't want anyone else to see it.

In both cases I will only need a few copies.

So Create Space will definitely allow me to do that--at least for the B&W? (I tried to look at their website, but I found it hard to get that specific information.)

Jodi

Mother Goose is Dead (Contributing author) | Chiaroscuro House website (Pending) | CH Edits blog (Pending)
Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes. The trick is to never approve the proof copy. That keeps the book in limbo, yet you can order as many copies as you like whenever you want. You can also continue to make changes to both the cover and inside text/layout.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
ios
Weirdo.

ios is well-respected
Quote:
Yes. The trick is to never approve the proof copy. That keeps the book in limbo, yet you can order as many copies as you like whenever you want. You can also continue to make changes to both the cover and inside text/layout.
Cool. I'll have to look into Create Space for the B&Ws then. Thanks!

And thanks, all, for the other suggestions too. They'll give me companies to look into.

Jodi

Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Spell-it-out
I'm gonna give all my secrets away

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Adding the that is the fact you have to select and save the distribution channels yourself, so don't fear that anything has slipped past you and onto the public domain.
Spell-it-out is offline   Reply With Quote