Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #22551
Andelana
Secret Stick-Figure Superhero

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Aww... time's up. That was good! I wrote - according to Word - 957 words! I might have got more except I had a few interruptions from people needing me to, you know, work. Yay for 957, though - racing really helped, I think! I was able to actually get more of the plot worked out and get on to the second chapter. Yay! Thank you, Junely!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #22552
Andelana

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reservoir Angel View Post
*sigh*

Well, I'm now in a bad mood. Seriously, I don't know why I keep watching WWE when all it seems to do lately is thoroughly annoy the living hell out of me and put me in terrible moods.
*pokes RA with a tickle stick*

That's what you get for watching television. :P
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #22553
Kricket
Still believes she's a writer

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTachyon View Post
Real Life is seriously kicking my ass.

I'm gonna be scarce online for a while.

Hope to see y'all soon.
If you need one, Ace.

See you soon.

ION, Toddler being a brat today. And I'm going to try a shortened nap time for him today. We'll see how this goes.
Flash: "I See Spot" open for crit
Urban Fantasy Novel: White Crow 3,426/50,000 words

Blog
Movie Review: Frozen

Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #22554
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelana View Post
Aww... time's up. That was good! I wrote - according to Word - 957 words! I might have got more except I had a few interruptions from people needing me to, you know, work. Yay for 957, though - racing really helped, I think! I was able to actually get more of the plot worked out and get on to the second chapter. Yay! Thank you, Junely!
Gotta get Marlin's numbers at a quarter past, but still, I see your Yay! and raise you a "Whoo hoo!" We're going to have to do this every day!

Now I'm going to put puppies in their bed for the afternoon snooze, go find myself some lunch, and then back at it. Now I have a baseline number, I can race myself the rest of the afternoon, seeing if I can top the hourly word count.

Unless, of course, you want to do another race?

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #22555
Reservoir Angel
Angelic by name, fiendish by nature

Reservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelana View Post
*pokes RA with a tickle stick*

That's what you get for watching television. :P
Don't touch me. I need some time before I'm ready to smile again.

*curls up under blankets with ice cream and musicals*
Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #22556
Andelana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post
Unless, of course, you want to do another race?
Gotta go run the backups and install XP Service Pack 3 on a user's laptop... Maybe later tonight, though, after I clean up the mess the electrician made!

Quote:
Don't touch me. I need some time before I'm ready to smile again.

*curls up under blankets with ice cream and musicals*
*poke poke poke poke* Muahahahahaha!

Oh, all right...

You're lucky I hafta go run that backup, methinks.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #22557
Black-Marlin
Avoiding cliches like the plague

Black-Marlin is a glorious beacon of lightBlack-Marlin is a glorious beacon of light
I claim 1114 words. I would have had more, but I found a major continuity error that needed addressed otherwise things would have not made sense. Do I get to claim that as a bonus? 1114 words, one continuity error slain, and an insert that fixes a major logic problem.

The more I think on it, actually, the more productive the last hour seems... I'm well chuffed!

I have a blog!
http://www.starlingford.wordpress.com
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #22558
Reservoir Angel

Reservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthoodReservoir Angel is a candidate for sainthood
Times like these I'm glad I have access to Golden Girls. As lame as it is that I watch it, those gals do have a habit of cheering me up.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #22559
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Times like these I'm glad I have access to Golden Girls. As lame as it is that I watch it, those gals do have a habit of cheering me up.
I feel the same way about cooking shows. I need to boost my energy, I find Diners, Drive ins and Dives, or Jamie Oliver, or Deaf Chef on Youtube, watch that for twenty minutes, and I feel better.

Considering I'm not a foodie or a fabulous cook, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But hey, it's just part and parcel with what makes me so fabulous!

(modesty not included)

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama
Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #22560
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Our queen seems to be abdicating the throne. Lots of excitement abounds.

My... blog? That can't be right.

New Blog Post: How to Avoid Writing Bad Erotica

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: first draft finished
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
You're totally innocent.
Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:

10s
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #22561
Reservoir Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
What? When did this happen? How did....

... oh. Different queen. Never mind me, then.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #22562
Kricket

Kricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKricket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
WARNING: American asking stupid questions.

A) Why is she abdicating the throne?
B) Is this going to cause problems? As in, does she hold a lot of political power or is she more of a figure head?

Blog

Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #22563
10trackers
Pollyanna

10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments10trackers is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
What? When did this happen? How did....

... oh. Different queen. Never mind me, then.
I don't think yours will EVER abdicate her throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
WARNING: American asking stupid questions.

A) Why is she abdicating the throne?
B) Is this going to cause problems? As in, does she hold a lot of political power or is she more of a figure head?
Those aren't stupid questions

She's 75 now, and she feels that it's time for a younger generation to head up the country. Her son Willem-Alexander will become king (our first king in like foreeeeeeeeever). She's been on the throne for 32 years, and before that we had another queen, before that another one, etc.

She doesn't hold a lot of political power but she's also not a mere figure head. She does hold the crucial power of veto. Her son is 40 years old now, with three small-ish kids. I'm not a fan of royal families in general, but it's still kind of exciting.

My... blog? That can't be right.

New Blog Post: How to Avoid Writing Bad Erotica

Short sexy stories: A Spank in Time, published by Blushing Books

Projects:
The Saga of EvilPants: first draft finished
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
You're totally innocent.
Cobra Ultraviolent Badge Of Honor:
Quote:
To the characters in your stories, you're a big death-ray of sunshine.
Quote:

10s
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #22564
Reservoir Angel

Quote:
I don't think yours will EVER abdicate her throne
Probably not. There was rumours just after the Jubilee last year that she was thinking of abdicating in favour of Prince William (not sure how that'd work since Charles is heir apparent, but then again I'm not too educated on the mechanics of the Royals) but obviously nothing came of it.

Plus everyone loves Lizzie too much and dislikes Charles too much to ever be okay with her voluntarily letting him on the throne a single second sooner than necessary.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #22565
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lizzie won't abdicate for a really simple reason - she harbors lingering resent at Eddie's behavior in the thirties, which split the royal family in two. There's a lot of history bound up in that moment. If she falls seriously ill, I suspect that Charles would step in to provide a... I've forgotten the word, but there is a "by proxy" thing he can do, without her stepping down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #22566
Reservoir Angel

*shrug* Clearly you know more of my country's Monarchy than I do. I just don't care enough to.

Though I care enough to be opposed to the idea of Charles being King, even if it is both inevitable and utterly ceremonial. I mean, he wouldn't even be able to do anything, yet I have this random dislike of the idea of having a "King Charles". Irrational, I know.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #22567
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I pay enough attention to the debates which occasionally pop up on television. Not the biggest fan of the royalty (as I have pointed out before) but at least they keep quiet when things are going on politically. Charles has a gob on him, and if he became king I can foresee problems...

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #22568
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
Lizzie won't abdicate for a really simple reason - she harbors lingering resent at Eddie's behavior in the thirties, which split the royal family in two. There's a lot of history bound up in that moment. If she falls seriously ill, I suspect that Charles would step in to provide a... I've forgotten the word, but there is a "by proxy" thing he can do, without her stepping down.
prince regent?

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words. Submitted to Strange Chemistry.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 20,927 words and counting

Short fiction:

"Mourning Becomes Me" - version 2.0, 19,605 words and counting

"Cold" - 3753 words, final draft. Submitted!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #22569
Reservoir Angel

Quote:
I pay enough attention to the debates which occasionally pop up on television. Not the biggest fan of the royalty (as I have pointed out before) but at least they keep quiet when things are going on politically. Charles has a gob on him, and if he became king I can foresee problems...
If Prince Philip didn't manage to cause any serious problems, I doubt Charles could say something that would.

Harry, maybe, but he's never going to be King so it doesn't matter.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #22570
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeblink View Post
prince regent?
That may be it.

As long as he isn't given the opportunity to push his GM agenda, or meddle in affairs of state, then I'm happy with him doing his stuff...

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #22571
Reservoir Angel

Quote:
As long as he isn't given the opportunity to push his GM agenda, or meddle in affairs of state, then I'm happy with him doing his stuff...
I was always under the impression that nowadays being a member of the Royal family, even being King or Queen, was essentially a ceremonial thing and that you couldn't really do anything more than shake hands and visit places.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #22572
BigWords
Geekzilla

Chuck is different from everyone else. The government back in the 80s had to send someone round to have a long chat with him after he spent an inordinate amount of time writing letters to both the government and national newspapers. He likes to get involved with things, and he still manages to provide newspapers with dialogues on things from time to time - the last was, IIRC, a couple of years ago in The Times.

It is meant to be ceremonial.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #22573
Black-Marlin
Avoiding cliches like the plague

Black-Marlin is a glorious beacon of lightBlack-Marlin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

It is meant to be ceremonial.
It is meant to provide a constitutional check on Parliament. The Prime Minister can not become a dictator while the Monarch has the right to veto legislation (such as, for example, the holy-shit-there's-an-emergency-and-I-need-extraordinary-powers-to-deal-with-it legislation that worked equally well for a) Adolf Hitler and b) Senator (later Emperor) Palpatine...)

BM

I have a blog!
http://www.starlingford.wordpress.com
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #22574
Kricket

Toddler is trying to get me to kill him. He hates me and wants to see me rot in jail.

*crawls in hole to sleep and hide from 3 yr old rage*

Blog

Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #22575
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Marlin View Post
It is meant to provide a constitutional check on Parliament.
The powers of the monarch are much diminished since the days when they had much of a force in that regard. And I doubt we would get a dictator from the batch of people who are in politics right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
Toddler is trying to get me to kill him.

What has he done?

Quote:
Quote:

Closed Thread