Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #251
knightrunnermat
practical experience, FTW

knightrunnermat is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
welcome back Tarak! I'm on a writing rampage. Over 6000 words now in 2 days. And having a great time.
Holy cow! I was coming online to brag that I wrote over 3k words this weekend and you doubled that. Good job!

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #252
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
You guys are amazing, all of you! Multiple thousands from multiple people...just fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
So when do I get to read it, liz?
Serious answer: Hopefully November again. I'm going to work towards getting one book done per year - although since I'm still not done with the first one the clock is not really ticking yet.

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 131,381
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 44,001/120,000
lizmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #253
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool! One a year is what I'd like to aim for as well, which means I'll need to start another straight away after I finish this WIP.

I have another zero to report. That makes nothing since Thursday. I did write most of a song, but that doesn't count. I will report words tonight or not at all.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #254
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
I have another zero to report. That makes nothing since Thursday. I did write most of a song, but that doesn't count. I will report words tonight or not at all.
I don't know; I think in the grand, existential, contributing-art-to-the-world sense, a song counts.

OTOH, unless you put it in your novel, you're probably right.

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 131,381
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 44,001/120,000
lizmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #255
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm trying to think of it like having more than one kid. Writing is my new baby, which inevitably means spending less time with the firstborn (music in this horrible metaphor), but neither should get attention at the expense of the other.

As someone without children, I would also like to point out that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

(hey! does all this rambling count as words?)

Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #256
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Absolutely nothing for the last couple of days. I've been working on some art projects instead (bit of painting and some ink drawing for a t-shirt design). I'll have to look at it tonight or tomorrow though if I'm going to enter into either of these competitions. To be honest though, I haven't decided yet if I am going to enter or if it's a stupid idea.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #257
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Some fantastic wordage. Especially, Lucie. Wow!

The words will come osg - and writing music and rambling do so count!

Zelenka, enter the contest. What have you got to lose, mate?

I've been shifting chapters around this weekend, which is my way of saying not many new words were produced. Managed a miserly 359 yesterday. Today, hopefully, will be better.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #258
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
And keep in mind that I was in a slump before the past few days. I've hit the sweet spot on this next novel. 1285 words today so far but I have to go house hunting.

Wishing y'all a great write!

Lucie
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #259
Ken Hoss
Available Now

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
For those with words this weekend, awesome. For those without, don't despair. I had a big fat goose egg this weekend myself. Started feeling bad Friday afternoon at work, was ready to call it a day but stuck it out. (Figure I'll save my sick days for when I'm not sick. ) Stayed in a fog most of the weekend, slept most of the day away on Saturday. Got in a few hours of fresh air on Sunday and made some edits to the first part of the WIP. So, I added maybe 10 words in all.

Today is a little better, though not a lot of words this morning, it's a typical Monday at the office. Have managed a whopping 294 so far, and hope to hit 500 at least. Tough scene with Kevin in the hospital. (He is improving, even has his sarcastic sense of humor back.)

ETA: Added another 439 for a daily total of 733. Not a huge number, but hey, it's Monday! That brings the WIP to 46,021!

Last edited by Ken Hoss; 01-29-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #260
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
290 words.

This scene is quite draining. Actually deleted more than I've written. Going to give this some thought over the rest of the night.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #261
Saoirse

Saoirse is a glorious beacon of lightSaoirse is a glorious beacon of light
Hugs, Ken, for being sick.

Hugs, IAMWRITER, too. That's never fun.

Big fat goose egg for me, too. I was sick last night. I'm feeling better today, though.

WIP
Grave Touched - science fantasy, rewriting
Awaken Me - erotica and shifters, writing now (but shh, don't tell Grave Touched!)

In Flames - flash anthology, available now! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349458
Fey Touched, a science fantasy, now available from http://www.turtleduckpress.com
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #262
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
iamwriter, that scene is what caffeine was invented for. Ken, get well soon. I love your attitude toward sick days. great workout with another writer this morning, then 754 words.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #263
Ken Hoss
Available Now

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Thanks, Saoirse and Lucie, feeling better now.

Working on the WIP today and lots of research/background on one of the new bad guys that just popped up in the book. Never knew so much about the former KGB! (Yes, I said KGB. ) What in the heck has Kelli gotten into now?

So far a whopping 265 words this morning. It's a tough scene, working in details without it being too much info dump.

ETA: Added another 295 this evening for a total of 560 today. Brings the WIP total to 46,581!

Last edited by Ken Hoss; 01-30-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #264
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Glad you're feeling better, Ken.

I'm doing some editing on another book, so I'm in minus-word mode, but it's all good.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #265
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

1146 today, thanks in part to a couple of train journeys.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #266
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Not sure on word count as all I've done today is tweak the opening paragraph and write a one-sentence logline for the book. I'm submitting to a free contest on Writer's Digest for SF and YA - http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-...ult-and-sci-fi which closes on the 31st. So got that sent off today. I still need to sort out the entry for the other one that closes on the 2nd, but that's a longer piece and synopsis, so needs a bit of work.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #267
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

Good work people!

875 words! Managed to write myself out of what could have been a really sticky scene.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #268
franky_s

franky_s is on a distinguished road
Couple hundred yesterday. My time has been hijacked by Game of Thrones. I can't put it down!
franky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 AM   #269
Saoirse

Saoirse is a glorious beacon of lightSaoirse is a glorious beacon of light
Awesome everyone!

936 words today. Feeling better!

WIP
Grave Touched - science fantasy, rewriting
Awaken Me - erotica and shifters, writing now (but shh, don't tell Grave Touched!)

In Flames - flash anthology, available now! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349458
Fey Touched, a science fantasy, now available from http://www.turtleduckpress.com
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #270
knightrunnermat

knightrunnermat is well-respected
1,400 so far today. Might write for a bit longer tonight, but I'm getting really tired.

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #271
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wonderful wordage from everyone!

I'm failing miserably yet again. I did do a wonderful beta read () and work has been very busy, and will get busier until after Easter. I dunno. Someone poke me!
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #272
Ken Hoss
Available Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Someone poke me!

Now get back to writing.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #273
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Someone poke me!

Got a few blissful and uninteruppted hours to myself tonight, so I'm aiming for at least 2K. I'll update you later.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #274
wonderactivist

No real words yet. Loads of writing-career stuff, a blog post, a bunch of pimping other writers I LOVE (like Ken Hoss), and more commitments all day, BUT it's my day off so I'll write later and report back.

Button seat!

Lucie
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #275
Ken Hoss
Available Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
No real words yet. Loads of writing-career stuff, a blog post, a bunch of pimping other writers I LOVE (like Ken Hoss), and more commitments all day, BUT it's my day off so I'll write later and report back.

Button seat!

Lucie

Is this a new MTV show? Pimp my Author

Okay, sorry, a bit off topic but I couldn't resist. To bring it back on topic, 0 words so far today. What can I say, the "day job" is taking up all of my writing time. It sucks.