Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
First novel, the epiphany came from a pile of leaves skipping and bouncing across the road like they were in a race or something. Second, I woke up one morning knowing the whole story. Third, no clue where the idea came from. Fourth, I saw a road sign and knew who my character would be. I started my WIP during NaNoWriMo. No epiphany. I could use one right about now.
My story isnít important but Iíll give it to you anyway: thirty-eight, happily married and father of two strapping boys, six-two, clean shaven, no gut. My wife calls me handsome and I wonít deny it. I'm the Used Car Manager at the Ford Dealership here in Cray, Ohioóby all accounts, a respected, responsible man.
But when I was kid, I was known as Tuck the Fuck.

/my l'il blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #27
LJD
practical experience, FTW

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Not really. I pretty much have to sit down with a notebook thinking "I need some new ideas" to have a hope of finding one. Which isn't so bad : I'm not distracted by shiny new ideas because I don't have any shiny new ideas until I try to force them out of my brain.

I do sometimes have rather minor epiphanies on how to make stuff work when I'm in the middle of a draft. I'm not sure those truly qualify as "epiphanies."
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #28
LadyV
Ahoy, maties!

LadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One of my WIPs came from a dream, which I sort of consider an epiphany. The others developed more gradually, but I still manage to have small epiphanies here and there throughout the stories.

Current WIP: Smoldering Ember - Contemporary Fantasy (plotting, drafting, whatever)
LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #29
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've had many "epiphanies" through the years. My first being creative non-fiction that I wrote in an hour, polished in another hour, and was my first submission. It got published (and I was paid) a few months later. From then on, I was off and running.

Until this past November. I got stuck. So stuck that not even bits and pieces of old material got me out of it.

Around late December, it hit me what my next novel would be and it's like it's writing itself. I already have 13,000 words written.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #30
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Rufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I get story ideas at all sorts of odd times.

And they are definitely "story ideas". They are not "epiphanies".

The word has a more specialized use. It has spiritual and psychological connotations. It's more about having insights and realizations into general or specific things.

As writers, we should have more respect for the meanings of words. Seriously.

Refer to ideas as epiphanies now and sooner or later people are going to start referring to story ideas as revelations or apocalypses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
I do sometimes have rather minor epiphanies on how to make stuff work when I'm in the middle of a draft. I'm not sure those truly qualify as "epiphanies."
Moments of insight into particular craft techniques and how one applies them are much more likely to qualify as epiphanies than the original story idea itself.

Wikipedia usually needs to be taken with a grain of salt but I think they're right on the money here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_%28feeling%29

Last edited by Rufus Coppertop; 01-28-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Rufus Coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #31
mfarraday
Time Traveler

mfarraday has a spectacular auramfarraday has a spectacular aura
I get epiphanies all the time. I am trying to learn to tone it down and just write it out. I often lose steam because I talk about it too much, or because I don't develop the idea after its initial basic premise. If I could be practical, calm down and get to work, my epiphanies might actually turn out to be worth something. So I know how it goes...you might have better luck than me however...Hope so!

mfarraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 AM   #32
Geoff Mehl
practical experience, FTW

Geoff Mehl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Coppertop View Post

The word has a more specialized use. It has spiritual and psychological connotations. It's more about having insights and realizations into general or specific things.
I'd agree with this in a era given to hyperbole -- but yep, there's nothing quite like one of those shimmering moments of creativity when a concept flops in out of nowhere, creates a manic moment of pure excitement, ecstasy even ... and then flutters away when the traffic light turns green and the clown in the car behind you leans on the horn and the cell phone rings and your beverage falls on the floor.
Geoff Mehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #33
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Rufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Mehl View Post
I'd agree with this in a era given to hyperbole
Exactly the word I was looking for.

Quote:
-- but yep, there's nothing quite like one of those shimmering moments of creativity when a concept flops in out of nowhere, creates a manic moment of pure excitement, ecstasy even ... and then flutters away when the traffic light turns green and the clown in the car behind you leans on the horn and the cell phone rings and your beverage falls on the floor.
They are wonderful moments and as you say, they can shimmer and they can produce manic moments of pure excitement and even ecstasy.

Epiphanies are fabulous too...at least, I assume they are.

Last edited by Rufus Coppertop; 01-28-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: clarification
Rufus Coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 AM   #34
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
More often than not, I have it happen while writing. The one that comes to mind first came early in a novel, a scene I was writing involving two young American Army soldiers in a rear area base in Vietnam, ca. 1969. They struck up an odd friendship after dark one night when one went out into an open area to smoke some weed, and ran into the other who had gone to the same place to observe the stars. As lights out drew near, they made their way back to their barracks, and this happened:

As they reached the dimly illuminated edge of the company clearing, Saint almost fell over the outstretched legs of a body.

I had no idea where that line came from. It wasn't part of my conception for the scene. It almost appeared on the page without my volition. I remember staring at it for a moment; I could either jettison it, or go with the flow. I did the latter:

He looked around, saw nothing else amiss, and leaned over to check the body. It was a soldier in jungle fatigues, lying on his front, head cradled in one arm so the face wasn't visible. One foot was booted, the other bare. Saint tugged at the nearest shoulder, to roll him over.

"Helen," the body moaned.

Now I had a character. I have no idea where that idea came from, either. But that little moment evolved into a major subplot that echoes and re-echoes through the rest of the novel, to have a significant effect on the conclusion.

It wasn't planned. It was in no outline, not even the rawest bullet-point kind of thing I tend to work with. All told, it probably generated ~12,000 words of the story, including three complete chapters.

This kind of thing is the major reason I urge people who ask questions about how to proceed when they think they're stuck, to "just write". Writing generates ideas. Epiphanies.

Oh, yeah. I needed a name for this new character. I called him 'Smith". That worked, too.

caw
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #35
Thorburgh
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Thorburgh is on a distinguished road
Well this is awesome I dint expect to get some many interesting/great replies on this topic haha thanks guys!

Also on another note that makes this even a little more interesting it the fact that the epiphany came to me when rereading something I already knew and had always been amazed with it was just as simple as the names of our planets that inspired me just thinking about this idea so far blows my mind the way it happened and how big the idea is now I just have to figure out what the conflict is going to be lol I am terrible and creating a believable/interesting conflict :P
Thorburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #36
Roger J Carlson
Moderation in All Things
AW Moderator

Roger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorburgh View Post
So basically I am wanting to know how many of you where inspired to write a book/short story because of an Epiphany.

But also I want to know what you do the minute you get this amazing thought and what your first actions are to do with said though?

I will share mine today I had an Epiphany for the greats story idea I have ever had when doing something as mundane as doing a few thousand clicks on stumbleupon. I came across a space article and when reading had an idea that blew my mind. Anyway I now have this idea but don't know where to go first with it because the idea for this story is something I want to share so badly in story form. All I know is that now I have hours of research ahead of me.
I'd just like to point out that by capitalizing Epiphany, you're referring to a specific Christian holiday held on January 6th. I don't ever recall being inspired to write a book on that date.
Roger J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #37
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To be honest, I'm not even sure what an epiphany is. I remember taking a college fiction class and this one student kept yelling "Epiphany!" At the weirdest moments. I had never even heard of the word before. So I looked it up and it said it was the day the wise men reached Jesus. So I'm still baffled what that has to do with fiction writing.

ďI love words but I donít like strange ones. You donít understand them and they donít understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know Ďem the minute you see Ďem.Ē -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #38
Chase
AW benefactor & vice versa

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
To be honest, I'm not even sure what an epiphany is.
Snazzy bow tie there, Shadow. Like all words, context helps. As Roger said, the capitalized version has to do with a religious event. The writer in your class meant he or she experienced a flash of inspiration.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #39
Thorburgh
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Thorburgh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger J Carlson View Post
I'd just like to point out that by capitalizing Epiphany, you're referring to a specific Christian holiday held on January 6th. I don't ever recall being inspired to write a book on that date.
Awe well thanks for that I dint even know. haha but i dint meant that
Thorburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #40
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Coppertop View Post

As writers, we should have more respect for the meanings of words. Seriously.

Refer to ideas as epiphanies now and sooner or later people are going to start referring to story ideas as revelations or apocalypses.

Moments of insight into particular craft techniques and how one applies them are much more likely to qualify as epiphanies than the original story idea itself.

Wikipedia usually needs to be taken with a grain of salt but I think they're right on the money here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_%28feeling%29
I don't get story ideas, I get epiphanies, and I know what the word means. These come once or thrice per year. Story ideas come whenever I sit down and need a story idea. Nor do I have a problem with referring to something as a "revelation". Every dictionary I check makes this word perfectly applicable. Apocalypses is not at all applicable.

I think we should have more respect for other writers, and assume most of them know what "epiphany" means.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #41
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I get them quite a bit. And always when I am least able to make note of any kind.

The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote