Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Paying Markets
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Conjurings Fantasy Magazine - [3c/word for Original Material, 1c/word reprints]

Hey everyone,

Conjurings plans to publish twice per year, and we're currently looking for material to fill both issues.

Please have a look at our submission guidelines: http://www.whitecatpublications.com/?page_id=3220

I'm excited about the magazine and hope you guys are too!

Do you need cover art or illustrations? I sell that.

Last edited by Bartholomew; 11-16-2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Removing old guidelines.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Bookewyrme
Imagined half of it.

Bookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm always excited about new Fantasy short-story markets! And doubly so excited about ones run by AWers. I will definitely be submitting in the future, though this month I'm head-down in Nano and don't think I'll be able to get anything ready to send out right away.

Bookmarking for future reference though.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Excellent. I look forward to reading your work. Good luck with nano! I'm at 10k words, myself. <Sigh>

Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This sounds like a great publication. I'll definitely be sending something in as soon as I get a chance to breath again.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'll keep my eye on it, too.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
(Dalton)
Dragoon Lord Abastas

(Dalton) is on a distinguished road
I like the look of the site and the attitude. I have something I'd like to submit. The name's Dalton Garrett, you guys should hear from me soon. Thanks for the heads up here on AW.

Too many WIP to count D:
Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #7
eqb
I write books

eqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
.03 cents per word
Do you actually mean .03 cents/word for articles, columns, and reviews, or should that be $.03/word?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Velcro
Scribbling Scribe

Velcro is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'm just a newb but what does this mean?

Quote:
Please do not use hard returns to indent.
I'm not sure if I've hard returned in my story that I'd like to send.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcro View Post

It means not to add space between paragraphs... I think.

Last edited by Gale Haut; 11-14-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqb View Post
Do you actually mean .03 cents/word for articles, columns, and reviews, or should that be $.03/word?
Whoops!

It's $.03, not $.0003.

Good catch; thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
ArachnePhobia
Eight Legs, All Holding Pens

ArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcro View Post

This has really confused me, too. A hard return is hitting "enter" and a soft return is hitting "shift+enter." You can format a hard return to automatically indent a paragraph. Are we not supposed to do that? What sort of indent should we use?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Don't sweat the small stuff. I'm not auto-rejecting based on formatting, unless the story comes in a Wingdings 22 font with 9-inch margins.

If you're not sure, but want to be in the magazine, submit. If I like the story enough to buy it, I like it enough to run it through my workflowy.

Last edited by Bartholomew; 11-15-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #13
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

The EIC of White Cat revised all of the guidelines.

http://www.whitecatpublications.com/?page_id=3220

-B

Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

I need one or two people who like to write reviews for books and possibly other media. Please direct inquires about this to conjuringsmagqueries@whitecatpublications.com.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am a bit confused here. The website says:

Quote:
All manuscripts should be .rtf or doc/docx format and follow the industry standard for formatting (here is a great example: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html ), however, please make the following changes:
Words in italics should be underlined even in New Times Roman; itís easier for our design people to see.
Em dashes must touch the words on both sides of them
Ellipses are three dots and do not touch the words on either sides of them. Please use them sparingly.
Please do not use space bar to indent.
Please use single space for text. Do not double return between paragraphs.
Please do not use two spaces after periods.

Isn't that NOT industry standard formatting? And do I take that to mean that the text should be single spaced but not have an extra line between paragraphs?

Looks like a great publication. I'm looking forward to submitting.
The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
areteus
practical experience, FTW

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
dammit, windings is my font of choice for fiction submissions...

I may think about sending something in...
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
williemeikle
The force is strong in this one.

williemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputationwilliemeikle has a double-platinum reputation
I've got a sub in... having sold to other White Cat publications I'm keen to get into the others too :-)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #18
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggy B. View Post
I am a bit confused here. The website says:

Isn't that NOT industry standard formatting? And do I take that to mean that the text should be single spaced but not have an extra line between paragraphs?

Looks like a great publication. I'm looking forward to submitting.
Heya,

A lot of people miss the line about "Please make the following changes." -- we want industry standard to be our baseline, plus the changes we list.

In general, though, relax about formatting--at least with regards to me and mine. Industry standard is nice, but I've read double and single spaced stories in serif and sans-serif fonts. I need to go through and make the guidelines clearer at some point, but that's a very low priority compared to catching up with my slush pile and giving the stories I'm sitting on a fair shake. I haven't rejected anyone because of formatting and likely won't.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #19
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

I could still use some book reviews, and reviews of other, fantasy-related media.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
bladestalker
practical experience, FTW

bladestalker is on a distinguished road
What other fantasy type media are you looking for?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #21
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladestalker View Post
What other fantasy type media are you looking for?
I'm open-minded about what sort of media we talk about; at the end of the day, though, I buy short stories and articles because we're a magazine.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #22
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like White Cat is in some trouble maybe? Saw this post this morning.

On Amazon.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #23
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

I quit in July, just after finishing the TOC for issue one. The owner paid for all of us to take this ridiculous anti-pedophile training. It was strange and offensive all at once; I don't deal with children in any capacity, and I was never expected to. If you're wondering where the money to pay authors went, at least part of it went to giving the junior editors the training they needed not to rape children.

I had to beg to get an electronic copy of the magazine, too.

The list of things I consider red flags grew one item stranger over the summer.

Edit:

Dora is wonderful, though.

Last edited by Bartholomew; 09-11-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #24
Morgansmom
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Morgansmom is on a distinguished road
How does the authors who signed contracts get out of them if they are going under? Is it as simple as the facebook post said? Just send a email and wait 24 for a answer?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #25
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I started a thread in Bewares & Background Checks yesterday as I didn't see one already started---I was wrong. I just didn't search right.

So here is the thread in B&BC. Probably should discuss over there where people will be looking to check them out.

On Amazon.
Closed Thread