Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Romance/Women's Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Samantha Lane
practical experience, FTW

Samantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewelSamantha Lane is a shiny, shiny jewel
MC/LI Gender Change (Sex discussion warning)

(I don't know for sure if I need this warning because I don't get graphic, but this is a discussion about writing a sex scene, so it doesn't hurt, right?)

Edit: As a preamble, let me just mention that my story is told from the first person perspective of my (mostly) female MC.

As many of you know since you helped me identify my genre, I'm revising my paranormal romantic fantasy about angels who become demons. After reading the uber-helpful "How to be a Sex Writing Strumpet" series, I realized that I need to work on my sex scene. That scene is the first time my MC and LI sleep together after MC becomes a demon.

I was shying away from really writing a graphic scene because of the usual "Onoz, what if my dad reads this?" problems. But after reading the series, I realized that 1) I like writing sex scenes and 2) the story calls for it.

I then realized that the story calls for a second sex scene. Since I don't want to regale you with every last plot detail, for the moment, take my word for this -- The scene would fit best if I switched my MC and LI's genders. My MC is a female through most of the book and my LI is a male; however, for this scene, it would fit the story perfectly for them to make love (and yes, it is a love-making scene) if the MC is the man and the LI is the woman. It fits the world as I've told it (i.e. angels/demons are sexless until they choose not to be).

Assuming that I've suspended my readers' disbelief as to the mechanics of said plot development, I'm curious as to how this would be received in the paranormal romance reader community. Personally, I think it's FABULOUS and something I would want to read. But of course, that doesn't mean everyone is like that.

Thoughts?

Samantha Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Ann_Mayburn
Smutty McTitters

Ann_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admirationAnn_Mayburn has earned our admiration
Sounds very interesting and you seem passionate about it so I say go for it! You never, ever know what will be a hit and what will be a miss so make yourself happy and do what you love regardless.

Ann_Mayburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
This is something I would enjoy reading...and possibly doing a critical analysis of what it says about gender roles...which tells you right there that I'm sort of strange in my romance reading habits. Not that romance readers don't do critical analysis of gender roles, but I don't think the vast majority of any readership does that. You will be switching things up, for sure. Some people will really enjoy the added twist. It will throw some people, too, almost certainly. On the other hand, if it's what *you* want to write, I think you'll have more in common and be better able to reach that first audience, of people who'll find it refreshing and interesting.

If the story demands it, go for it. I guarentee there's an audience for such a thing somewhere. You'll be able to find it best once you have a finished manuscript.
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
MumblingSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If this is genre-romance, I can see some readers not being totally on board if they have thought of the MC as female (regardless of being told s/he is androgynous). I mean, you yourself describer him/her as as "female". Genre romance is rarely gender fluid.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Belinda McBride handled it neatly in The Bacchi. One MC was a hermaphrodite identifying as male, and the other MC was a male identifying as bisexual (and with some interesting physical adaptations.) Both characters thought of themselves as male - even in the scene where MC1 was technically the female partner.

I also saw a similar situation in Amanda Downum's The Bone Palace (fantasy, not romance) where a transgender female character thinks of herself as only female, in spite of parts. There's a love scene with another female involving penetration, and it reads very smoothly as lesbian.

If you can do it well without derailing the scene, I'd say try anything.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
Samantha Lane

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I'm going to go ahead and do it, because I want to, and see how it turns out. I was going to whatever the response was, but I'm always curious what other people think. It doesn't seem that controversial to me, but I don't know how normal I am.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Normal? On this board? (Thanks for making me grin.)

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
I'd probably like it unless it came out of nowhere. Also, I kinda wonder why it matters who is what gender, I don't really want to see a message that males aren't allowed to take a submissive role or something like that. Not accusing or anything, I just currently have no idea why a sex scene would work better with genders one way or the other.
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
gcsalamon
Gina

gcsalamon is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure how I would feel about it as a reader, but then, I don't read fantasy. I do read some paranormal romance, but it's pretty light, i.e., Jayne Ann Krentz, for instance. That said, I think if it fits the story line and the characters, you should be fine.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
Samantha Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
I'd probably like it unless it came out of nowhere. Also, I kinda wonder why it matters who is what gender, I don't really want to see a message that males aren't allowed to take a submissive role or something like that. Not accusing or anything, I just currently have no idea why a sex scene would work better with genders one way or the other.
In both scenarios, my "female" MC is the initiator. In the story, the LI is being manipulated by a demon, who only "uses" him (her) in female form. The scene that I'm considering would be him finally opening up to my MC to allow her to experience "his" "female" side.

... Hope that made sense.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
NGL, this was what I was thinking when I wrote 'critical analysis of what it says about gender roles'. But it looks like there's a compelling in-story reason for it, so all's well.
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
MumblingSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
MeganJoWrites
Superpowers: Making babies, writing

MeganJoWrites is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Lane View Post
In both scenarios, my "female" MC is the initiator. In the story, the LI is being manipulated by a demon, who only "uses" him (her) in female form. The scene that I'm considering would be him finally opening up to my MC to allow her to experience "his" "female" side.

My initial reaction was "erm...I don't think that would work..."

But after reading this explanation, I can see why you want to change genders, and it seems necessary to the development of their relationship. Very cool. Good luck writing!

Website/blog: meganerickson.org
MeganJoWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
The Otter
Friendly Neighborhood Mustelidae

Location: In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all eternity.
The Otter is a glorious beacon of lightThe Otter is a glorious beacon of lightThe Otter is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds like something I'd be interested in reading, and very original. I can't think of any stories where I've seen this done (though I'm sure they exist.) Of course it won't be for everyone, but then, what is?
The Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Lane View Post

Ah, then it sounds like the reader is already familiar with the idea of the LI being in female form for sex, so it seems like it would be a natural progression for the LI to share that with the MC. And a gesture of reclaiming the self or self-affirmation for the LI. *thumbs up*
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote