Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
LindaJeanne
On a small world west of wonder

LindaJeanne is a splendid one to beholdLindaJeanne is a splendid one to beholdLindaJeanne is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Malware warning on AW ad! [Resolved]

Twice today (different AW pages each day, and not every time I click to the page, so I presume it's a rotating ad at the top that's doing it), Chrome has blocked access:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome
Danger: Malware Ahead!
Google Chrome has blocked access to this page on absolutewrite.com.
Content from cm.netseer.com, a known malware distributor, has been inserted into this web page. Visiting this page now is very likely to infect your computer with malware.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
alleycat
Ho Ho . . . Ack! Ack!
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'll make sure the administrators are aware of this.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
AC, I'm getting it, too. It seems to have to do with one of the ad servers.

(btw folks? That means it isn't AW. More likely a bad injection coming from one of the servers that feeds the ads at the top of the page. I suspect more info will follow.)

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
AW Admin
Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety
AW Paladin

AW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks; I'm looking into it.

Note that it isn't on AW's server.

It's possibly an ad subcontracted by Google. AW doesn't have a contract with netseer directly.

This will take me a while, so please be patient.

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.

Last edited by AW Admin; 02-04-2013 at 08:51 PM.
AW Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #5
Briony-zisaya
Punctuation and I don't get along

Briony-zisaya has a spectacular auraBriony-zisaya has a spectacular aura
OK whew, glad to see it isn't just me. Had it happen this morning and then again a few minutes ago when I logged on. Thanks for looking into this, much appreciated.
The Dark Hand: just sitting there
Why say it in 10 words when I can say it in 50? Oh, wait...
"That's a nice way to put it. Almost makes me forget I've been running from a monster hell bent on my destruction for over a hundred years."
Briony-zisaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It looks like it's associated with more than one ad; other site admins I've talked to have reports from users too.

I'd be delighted if anyone sees the ad or gets a report with more data than I have already—it would make it much easier for me to file a report and block the ad on AW.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
AW Admin
Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety
AW Paladin

AW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Netseer warning was because they were hacked:

Quote:
SAN JOSE -- Malware warnings halted Internet users from visiting popular sites across the Internet on Monday morning, including the Mercury News, after Silicon Valley advertising company Netseer's website was hacked. The company said its ads were not infected with any virus, and Google (GOOG) cleared the company and halted the malware warnings.
Full Netseer story here

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.
AW Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Rockweaver
practical experience, FTW

Rockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputation
thanks for the update

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.
Rockweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just had a malware warning on this thread:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...80#post7964480

The URL blocked started with 'creative.mathads' I believe. Blocked by Sophos.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks Torgo; looking into it right now.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote