Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #51
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Awesome words, everyone! And yay, Saoirse, for your perseverance. Hope you are feeling 100% soon.

Read through another chunk today. Bits of it aren't bad, but boy, I am seeing the gaps. More work to be done than I'd thought, maybe; but I'm actually feeling pretty good about the state it's in. Worth making the effort.

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 128,428
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 46,743/120,000

Last edited by lizmonster; 02-05-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Me grammar no good.
lizmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #52
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nuthin' yesterday. Got home late from work and brain was all mush. Bah.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #53
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm spending the next few days reading over what I've already written. Because I've taken so long to get to the end I've almost forgotten what happened earlier in the WIP. I need to refresh my memory. Plus, the urge to edit is just so overwhelming I have to do it.

Guess it will be minus words for a bit.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #54
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
I'm spending the next few days reading over what I've already written. Because I've taken so long to get to the end I've almost forgotten what happened earlier in the WIP. I need to refresh my memory. Plus, the urge to edit is just so overwhelming I have to do it.

Guess it will be minus words for a bit.
Kind of same here. I've been away from the WIP so long because of illness I have no idea what was going on, even with a really detailed outline, so I'm re-reading. Unfortunately what I've re-read so far this afternoon is utterly
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #55
BfloGal
Lost in a plot hole

BfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to behold
Looks like I'm not the only one coming off a long hiatus. Glad to see so many familiar "faces" here and the newer ones.

Zelenka--sorry to hear you've been ill.

1312 words for me today.
For Whom the Bluebell Tolls (Pre-order, coming 1/06/15)
BfloGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #56
Mr Mitchell
practical experience, FTW

Mr Mitchell is on a distinguished road
2 pages again and everything going to plan. New character arrived in my book and even he is a cop, not sure if I like the guy.
Mr Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #57
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats to everyone pumping those words in. Second day on the trot it's a zero from me. Work is kicking my arse at the moment.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #58
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
As expected I scrapped yesterday's effort and managed 724 words. Better start to the chapter and throws in a sweet little moment between my main characters.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #59
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote 267 today and did loads of research into breaking into houses.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #60
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm jumping back in here since I feel I've been out of touch with all of my buds and it helps to have to report so I feel like I'm making progress with things.

I'm blogging again after about six years. I didn't get the point of it before. Now I am enjoying it. So I'll have words to report with that.

My big goal for this month is retyping to put my Murders of Polly Frisch book in digital format. I want that done before anything else. I say retype as the original files sent to the printer were on zip disks and I haven't heard back yet from the IT dept at work if they can open them.

I have the hard copies on Amazon now, then do ebooks, then contact the lawyer back and go ahead with going after the guy who plagiarized said book.

After the above is taken care of I'll feel comfortable with moving on to FINALLY finish editing the Indian land title book in my siggy which has suffered from one delay after another. It could have been fate with that as right now with the Indian movement (Idle No More) which began last October, the timing would be perfect for a book like this. So I'll have edits to report too.

That is my plan.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #61
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
3,359 today. Rewriting Chapter Two, since I reread what I had and it sucked big time. Now I think I have stuff in a more plausible order. Spent more time trying to figure out when the 'night' cycle of the Moon would come than I did writing though.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #62
lizmonster

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Stopped a few chapters short of the end. I'm finding lots of stuff that can go, and making some replotting notes. But I have to admit, more of it works than I had remembered. It seems a bit narcissistic, but I was kind of entertained while I was reading!

Great words, all.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #63
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
History, if we buy the book thru Amazon, can you sign it or does it ship from elsewhere? I am a word wimp today. Must. Turn. Off. Internet.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #64
HistorySleuth

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wonder, it comes from me so signed by me and my co-author. Thanks for asking.

Got through retyping the beginning stuff and the prologue. Wish I would have done better in typing class in high school. I'm not that fast with the reading and typing stuff.

On Amazon.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #65
franky_s

franky_s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
...did loads of research into breaking into houses.
Theory or practical?

Only 44 words yesterday. Did much better today with 1240. I'm 400 words away from the 30K mark. I might try and get there later tonight.
franky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #66
Saoirse

Saoirse is a glorious beacon of lightSaoirse is a glorious beacon of light
Still have the migraine and the vertigo. This is day 4. Starting to get worried.

Wrote 2 sentences last night, hated them, and stopped writing for the night. Just wasn't feeling it. Tonight I want to start handwriting everything. This hiatus is killing me.

WIP
Grave Touched - science fantasy, rewriting
Awaken Me - erotica and shifters, writing now (but shh, don't tell Grave Touched!)

In Flames - flash anthology, available now! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349458
Fey Touched, a science fantasy, now available from http://www.turtleduckpress.com
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #67
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by franky_s View Post
Theory or practical?
Theory! Of course!

Mostly!

heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #68
HistorySleuth

Good for you franky!

Saoirse, I hate migraines, I can relate. It makes it hard to use the eyes. At least with handwriting you won't have the computer glare. You can even write in the dark.

On Amazon.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #69
franky_s

franky_s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Theory! Of course!

Mostly!

I believe you, millions wouldn't.
franky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #70
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Saoirse - hope you feel better soon, hun.

wd franky. History, I'm watching the post for your book (and Perks' as well )

I got 1100ish words today, but more importantly I might have made a time-jump I needed to make. I won't know until I come back in a few days time, and in the meantime I have to just take it on trust and keep on writing. Hate it when that happens.

ETA: Waaah!!!! You're not my friend anymore, Book.

*foot-stomping*

Last edited by mccardey; 02-06-2013 at 07:54 PM.
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #71
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
Wonder, it comes from me so signed by me and my co-author.
Yay!

I have this scene in my head that so far defies words. I suppose once I get it down it will be fab because the harder it is to write, etc. Please send Hemingway genes to Oklahoma.

Last edited by wonderactivist; 02-06-2013 at 08:54 PM.
wonderactivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #72
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I see we have people struggling, foot-stomping and practicing grand larceny under the guise of research.

Looks like franky, HS and Liz are only ones with words under their belt.

Quote:
Still have the migraine and the vertigo. This is day 4. Starting to get worried.
Have you seen the doc, Saoirse? And if so, did he give you a time-frame for the tabs to kick in? If not, maybe you should go see someone. Get better soon.

I've had an itchy brain today. It doesn't want to settle on my WIP or my first MS that I'm trying to sub, so I've let it loose among my short story ideas and I'm beginning to get a little worried that there's an incy wincy psychopath lurking within its membranes.

(Wow, this post is the most I've written all day.)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #73
lizmonster

Quote:
Have you seen the doc, Saoirse? And if so, did he give you a time-frame for the tabs to kick in? If not, maybe you should go see someone. Get better soon.
Ditto. Four days, time to bug your doctor. And hang in there!

Quote:
Looks like franky, HS and Liz are only ones with words under their belt.
In the interests of total honesty, I have not written a word - I've just re-read all the words I had before.

I finished my read-through today, over lunch. Found more bloat, but also found more bits I quite like. I'm thinking I'll be able to shave off several thousand words - but that's before I get into some of the plot revisions I want to do.

Next step is to go over (and organize) my beta feedback. Some of it I haven't read yet. I think I will wait until tomorrow, and give myself today to be pretty happy with what I've got.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #74
Mr Mitchell

Mr Mitchell is on a distinguished road
I have written a page, so not my strongest day but hey, I am on a new chapter.
Mr Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #75
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
233 words today.

You know that feeling of knowing what you want to write but it is hard to actually get it out? Yeah, that was the scene I was writing tonight!