Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Games
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #51
kenebaker
Master of Meh!

kenebaker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
It was pretty much the same for RE5 as well.
Yeah, RE5 was not scary. Creepy, yes, but having a partner toned it down for me. That, and the fact that he can't aim and walk at the same time.
kenebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #52
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
Agreed. RE5 so not scary.
wampuscat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #53
MythMonger
Willing to Learn

MythMonger is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by wampuscat View Post
Sort of off topic. I remember playing Arkham Asylum and thinking "This is really dark. There's a lot of f-ed up stuff in these villains' back stories, etc. This could be really super creepy." Great game, but I was always a little disappointed that it wasn't scary. I also wished there were decent/more difficult boss fights, but what can you do?
I had the exact same thought. It seemed to me like it tried to combine the darkness of Bioshock and the vertical play of Assassin's Creed but failed to surpass either game.
MythMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #54
kenebaker
Master of Meh!

What scary compedium is not complete without the classic Left 4 Dead - anyone remember how creepy it was when you have to sneak up on the Witch?

Dead Island also had some scary moments; the hotel and the echos of the undead as they roam around the island. I did NOT like the sound that the Brutes made.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #55
Kyla Laufreyson
My Protagonists Hate Me

Kyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admiration
I'm partial to Ib. Not the most terrifying thing ever, but definitely creepy.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #56
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
Oddly enough, it's not horror in the slightest, but Heavy Rain had a couple of moments that were interesting.
wampuscat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #57
VelnR
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

VelnR is on a distinguished road
The part right after they are in the mall in Heavy Rain is quite tense, I will admit I was yelling at the TV there. :p The whole power station portion was pretty nerve wracking as well. Can't wait for their next game.
VelnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #58
Dreity
practical experience, FTW

Dreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of light
Dark Fall: Lost Souls. I haven't played the previous two, but this game seems to stand alone just fine. Like Myst, it has a static screen you can interact with.

So far nothing has tried to kill me but I've never been so creeped out. It's all about the atmosphere.

The game starts with a black screen, and I hear shouts and gunshots as if they're underwater and very far away. When they fade, I (the character) start to hyperventilate. This goes on for about 20 seconds, then it's just me and the dark. Finally I get a text on my phone saying "You arE not alone. i Am heRe." Me and the dark again. I click around trying to find something to interact with, when I realize my phone has a flashlight option. I turn it on, and discover I'm in an abandoned underground train station. The first thing I see is a stone statue of a man in a suit, holding a baby doll's leg, surrounded by grocery carts filled with stone body parts.

My Blog. Longer stuff, but still trying to cut down.
Dreity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #59
DizScare
You make my heart skip a beet.

DizScare is on a distinguished road
Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie: The Game.

But actually, I made the mistake of watching my mom's boyfriend play Dead Space 2. That was fun.

witchParidise! hour of hearts
Genre:Fantasy/Adventure
Age Group:Middle School
MCs:Luso Faithblade (MMC) & Jasper Drew(FMC)
DizScare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #60
MythMonger
Willing to Learn

MythMonger is well-respected
I picked up Dead Space, but I'm still working on another game so I haven't played it myself. I notice my teenage daughter is laughing like a maniac while she's playing it. She was shooting at a human head and watching it float down a corridor in zero G.

Somebody forgot to tell her be scared.
MythMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #61
Dommo
On Mac's double secret probation.

Dommo has earned our admirationDommo has earned our admirationDommo has earned our admirationDommo has earned our admiration
Sorry the correct answer here is Amnesia, the dark descent.

Seriously. Nothing else compares.
Dommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 AM   #62
J.W. Alden
Fire and Blood

J.W. Alden is a shiny, shiny jewelJ.W. Alden is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dommo View Post

Yeah, I was surprised that no one else had mentioned this game but me. Seriously, folks! If you want to be scared, play Amnesia. I never did finish it, for the reasons stated in my last post, but it's definitely the scariest game I've played in years. This heavy feeling of powerlessness is weighing you down at all times. You're not blasting baddies with shotguns and flamethrowers, you're running down hallways and hoping that whatever's chasing you doesn't see where you hid.

Read me:

"Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
"Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2
"Battle Lines" in Plasma Frequency Magazine
J.W. Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #63
KarmaHead
Winston

KarmaHead is on a distinguished road
Dead Space, a very dark room, complete silence. Damn, what a game.

Shame Dead Space 3 looks disappointing...
KarmaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #64
kenebaker
Master of Meh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaHead View Post
Dead Space, a very dark room, complete silence. Damn, what a game.

Shame Dead Space 3 looks disappointing...
Yup! Terrifying game - especially when you're being chased by that regenerating thing as it shuffles its way through the ceiling ducts above you.

In the spirit of this discussion, I replayed both DS 1 and 2 (and one is definitely screamier material than two.) I am also worried about number 3 - from the co-op gameplay that I have seen... It's going to be more RE5 than DS1.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #65
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Yeah. While it looks like it could be a decent action game, it's not really Dead Space anymore. It's just your mowing down necromorphs.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #66
KarmaHead
Winston

KarmaHead is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't mind the co-op if the single player was was up to scratch with the first two, and though I haven't played it, it's looking very RE5 regardless, as you said above. It's a shame because I love the first two and this could have been a solid trilogy of games, the third just looks like a blown up mess of action and co-op with RE ambitions.
KarmaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #67
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
This sums up part of the problem with Deadspace 3 being co-op: http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/gl...425/425125.jpg
Old 02-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #68
kenebaker
Master of Meh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dommo View Post

It's a pity it never came out on console. I will have to see if my laptop can manage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
Yeah. While it looks like it could be a decent action game, it's not really Dead Space anymore. It's just your mowing down necromorphs.
Yeah. The reviews are in and the scare factor is down.

Gametrailers - I trust their reviews 100%

Gamespot - meh

Time to go find out how much Amnesia is going to set me back...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #69
gambit924
Hopeless Romantic

gambit924 is on a distinguished road
Siren. I never finished the game because after a while it was just tedious listening to the Japanese characters speak with British accents, but it was scary. The scariest thing about Silent Hill and RE, I couldn't figure out how to control the characters and the bad camera angles just pissed me off. Anyway, that's all scary, lol...
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost. The little guy getting poked is worried he's going to get pushed into the troll's blade. But kitty will save him. Go go magic kitty!!!

Current WIP "Tears From the Skye" YA or NA science fantasy currently in the rough, rough stages.
gambit924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #70
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If it is bad camera angles which makes a game scary, then Catwoman is terrifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #71
Sanoe SC
The Spice Must Flow

Sanoe SC is on a distinguished road
Amnesia: The Dark Decent. The previous Penumbria games are also quite frightening.

Silent Hill 1 and 2 deserve an honorable mention.
Sanoe SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #72
gambit924
Hopeless Romantic

gambit924 is on a distinguished road
Agreed. Bad camera angles are the bain of all gamers. Thank god there are so many games now where you can adjust the camera yourself. Then you can make your own bad angles, lol...
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost. The little guy getting poked is worried he's going to get pushed into the troll's blade. But kitty will save him. Go go magic kitty!!!

Current WIP "Tears From the Skye" YA or NA science fantasy currently in the rough, rough stages.
gambit924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #73
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
re Dead Space 3.

I'm now at Chapter 5 (it got better and better after the opening) and I'm now thoroughly enjoying playing it solo. The Save and Exit feature is a tad annoying insofar as I seem to be only allowed to Save and Exit properly after completion of each Chapter.

But that apart I'm enjoying the game play.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #74
MarkWaikien
figuring it all out

MarkWaikien is on a distinguished road
Silent Hill 3 makes me weep at night. It's also one of the few games I've ever really finished.

I can still hear that birthday song...

"It's not my birthday."
MarkWaikien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #75
Seraph
You Know We're Gonna Do It Right

Seraph is a shiny, shiny jewelSeraph is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W. Alden View Post
Yeah, I was surprised that no one else had mentioned this game but me. Seriously, folks! If you want to be scared, play Amnesia. I never did finish it, for the reasons stated in my last post, but it's definitely the scariest game I've played in years. This heavy feeling of powerlessness is weighing you down at all times. You're not blasting baddies with shotguns and flamethrowers, you're running down hallways and hoping that whatever's chasing you doesn't see where you hid.
Amnesia all the way. Easily the scariest game I've played, by a fair margin. Don't even like thinking about it tbh.

Resident Evil 2 had some great tension and jump scares, specifically the Nemesis guy (wasn't called that yet) breaking through walls at you after you'd just downed him in the previous room. And the relief when you finally found a save room.

One I don't think I've seen mentioned is Eternal Darkness. Very scary game, Lovecraft inspired, with these insanity effects that - while hilarious - were pretty jarring in the moment. Out of nowhere your head falls off. Or you get the blue screen of death, on a console game. Or you save and it tells you it deleted your saves.

Another great one, and free on pc, is Slender, based on the slender man.