Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #8326
MikeCheck
figuring it all out

MikeCheck is on a distinguished road
Saw "Looper" last night. Interesting premise, cool ending, but parts of it definitely failed to hold my attention. I'd probably give it 3.5/5.
MikeCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #8327
Diana Hignutt
Neo-Luddite & Anti-Corporatist

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Parts 1 & 2--Brilliant and faithful adaptation of Frank Miller's Gotham masterpiece. It's all there. Carrie Kelly, Harvey Dent, the Joker, the Mutants, The Sons of Batman, Bats vs. Supes. President Reagan. Really great. I only noticed three minor scenes/lines missing tbh...which is amazing ("Why do you think I wear a target on my chest?", "Boy wonder, gotta be." and "Robin, stand up straight." Peter Weller as the voice of Batman. See it.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #8328
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Resident Evil: Retribution on DVD. Freebie gift so I can't complain! Cleverly made fun romp if you can stand the gory superviolence that goes with the franchise. Usually whenever anyone mentions CGI it's in a negative way, too much, or too obvious, but quality levels here were high, it's a sharp, believable visual experience. Innovative opening sequence! Also, Jill Valentine, woo. Critics didn't like it much, but I did.

-Derek
Now available from Eggplant Literary Productions
“Vampyres! All I'd heard about since I'd arrived in this
damned city was vampyres!”

Also on Amazon
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #8329
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Music Man. It was in TCM last night and rescues me from having to watch the stupid bowl.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #8330
StevenHarvey1990
practical experience, FTW

StevenHarvey1990 is on a distinguished road
Resident Evil: Retribution

I have to be honest, I hate this franchise on principle. Completely butchers the games appeal.

That said I love the over the top action sequences. This one is probably the best in that department too. I just wish Anderson would leave the script to someone else, his directing is great but his writing is abysmal.

Like dpaterso said, it's a fun little romp. If you want a compelling story or a movie that doesn't defy logic by all means look elsewhere.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #8331
NottiThistledore
figuring it all out

NottiThistledore is on a distinguished road
Kon-Tiki (English language version). Quite a lovely film, and worth checking out if you love true adventure stories!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #8332
J.S.F.

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Parts 1 & 2--Brilliant and faithful adaptation of Frank Miller's Gotham masterpiece. It's all there. Carrie Kelly, Harvey Dent, the Joker, the Mutants, The Sons of Batman, Bats vs. Supes. President Reagan. Really great. I only noticed three minor scenes/lines missing tbh...which is amazing ("Why do you think I wear a target on my chest?", "Boy wonder, gotta be." and "Robin, stand up straight." Peter Weller as the voice of Batman. See it.
---

Dear Ms. Annoying for 2013,

I agree with your assessment except for one thing:

Peter Weller.

Now, he did a fine job in Part 1 and I liked the story--it was also done (in a fairly toned down way) in Batman, TAS--but in Part 2, he sounded too robotic.

I really expected him to say "Come quietly or there will be...trouble".

Kevin Conroy IS the voice of Batman, but Part 2, sick as it was, was excellent. Lots of ultraviolence, but worth a watch.
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #8333
cmi0616

cmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewelcmi0616 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Winter Passing. I'm surprised I'd never heard of it before. Zooey Deschannel was fantastic, and it was just a great movie. It also happens to be the only Will Ferrel movie I've never seen.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #8334
KarmaHead
Winston

KarmaHead is on a distinguished road
Caught up with Looper and Sinister recently.

Looper was amazing, as I had anticipated, and I was pleased with Sinister for what it was. I convinced myself of the plot halfway through, and I came out 98% right, but I thought it was enjoyable.

Sadly they're already working around a sequel....
KarmaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #8335
Diana Hignutt

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
---

Dear Ms. Annoying for 2013,

I agree with your assessment except for one thing:

Peter Weller.

Now, he did a fine job in Part 1 and I liked the story--it was also done (in a fairly toned down way) in Batman, TAS--but in Part 2, he sounded too robotic.

I really expected him to say "Come quietly or there will be...trouble".

Kevin Conroy IS the voice of Batman, but Part 2, sick as it was, was excellent. Lots of ultraviolence, but worth a watch.
Fair enough. And yes, too Kevin Conroy. While, we're at it, I didn't love the Joker's voice. Would it have been to hard to call Mark Hamill?

And, btw, it's Ms. More Annoying for 2013. Thank you.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #8336
J.S.F.

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
Fair enough. And yes, too Kevin Conroy. While, we're at it, I didn't love the Joker's voice. Would it have been to hard to call Mark Hamill?

And, btw, it's Ms. More Annoying for 2013. Thank you.
---

I stand corrected on the 'More Annoying' thing. I agree with your assessment of the Joker's voice but DiMaggio wasn't bad. He also did The Toyman in Superman: Doomsday. For this Batman and Batman, Under the Red Hood, he did Joker and while I prefer Mark Hamill, I think DiMaggio's take on it was acceptable.

Check your PM's, please.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #8337
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don't Go In the Woods. Um... bad slasher movies should not be riddled with bad folk music. Run away.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #8338
Diana Hignutt

Skyfall - Great, but weird. Somehow, I felt like I was invading 007's privacy in the last act, and felt more questions were left than were answered (but with very interesting suggestions in lieu) , but it set up and completed the reboot elements in a very interesting way. And, of course, Javier Bardem...just wow. I want him to play the Joker, should the Clown Prince of Crime return to the big screen anytime in the next decade.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #8339
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Chicken Run. Yes, Chicken Run. Somehow it was the only thing on worth watching. Not bad, actually.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #8340
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Red, for the same reason (only thing on). Still a delightfully fun movie.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #8341
J.S.F.

The Mummy. The original version, 1932, with Borith Karloff.

Excellent make-up, way ahead of its time. A little slow moving but well acted.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #8342
ArachnePhobia
Eight Legs, All Holding Pens

ArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admirationArachnePhobia has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
Don't Go In the Woods. Um... bad slasher movies should not be riddled with bad folk music. Run away.
Don't go out in the woods tonight
you probably will be thrilled
Don't go out in the woods tonight
you probably will be killed

There's a friendly beast
who lurks about
He likes to feast
and you won't get out
without being chopped up into little pieces!

Man, I haven't seen that for years. Can you believe it's a Video Nasty? Know 'em when you see 'em INDEED.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #8343
Kyla Laufreyson
My Protagonists Hate Me

Kyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admiration
I'm watching Gladiator for the first time ever at the moment. It's the director's cut, and so far I love it. Suddenly I'm glad Les Miserables gave me a fascination with Russell Crowe.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #8344
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Alpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Flicka, with my horse-obsessed daughter.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
T.H Lawrence

Alpha Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #8345
J.S.F.

Rhoda's into Johnny, Rhoda's into Johnny...

It's okay, my wife's a huge Johnny Depp fan, too.

Watched 'How Green Was My Valley' and 'Manhunt' over the last couple of days. Excellent in every way. Walter Pidgeon wasn't the greatest actor around, but he had a very distinctive voice. I'd forgotten how good those films really were, old-fashioned in the best sort of way.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 AM   #8346
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.F. View Post
Rhoda's into Johnny, Rhoda's into Johnny*
*Was.

If he could steer clear of Tim Burton and Pirates for awhile, I might be into him again. But lately...eh...

Last watched: Following. Old black and white Chris Nolan movie about an author who shadows a professional thief to get information for his characters, and gets caught up in Intrigue for reals. Better than it sounds.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #8347
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

Rhoda, I've been wondering if that movie was worth it.

Also, have you seen Depp in The Ninth Gate? It's a terrible movie, but he has some good lines.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #8348
Capeless
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Capeless is on a distinguished road
Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps

Money may never sleep, but this put me to sleep quicker than a late night wank...
Capeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #8349
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Quote:
Rhoda, I've been wondering if that movie was worth it.

Also, have you seen Depp in The Ninth Gate? It's a terrible movie, but he has some good lines.
I thought so. It certainly held my interest for the duration. Some twists are easy to see coming, but it's so well-acted and restrained I found it a compelling watch.

Indeed I have--first and last Roman Polanski film I ever watched. Very unsettling.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #8350
J.S.F.

Quote:
---

I guess I must be in the minority because I liked that flick. Granted, the twists were easy to see and you know he's going to sell his soul to you-know-who, but the acting was very good and the direction, as always, impeccable. Polanski is certainly no angel and deserves to be run in for what he did (even though they'll never get him) but he is a terrific director.

Watched They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and it was practically a perfect flick. Also re-discovered Klute. Never liked Hanoi Jane and never will, but damn, she did some great work.