Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #1051
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
She's a nice person and I don't think she was really mining for gifts (exactly), but it did sort of read that way to me.
She may be lovely, but that's really, really tacky.

"I don't love you enough to invite you to my wedding, but I figure you love me enough to pay for my honeymoon."

Meh.

And Susie, that is very hopeful news and may I join the throng of Hooray-for-Howie-ers.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Old 02-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #1052
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyd View Post
Ha! This is what I get for opening my big stupid mouth. So far I found out my dad is in the hospital, not responding well to oxygen treatments after a asthma attack and one of my favorite regulars died this morning.
Oh, Sydney, I'm sorry.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #1053
alleycat
I've fallen and I can't get up.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry, Syd. I've been through a lot of similar things here lately; I know the feeling.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #1054
Sydneyd
Aye, ye scurvy dog!

Sydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah we need a group hug and lots of chocolate.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #1055
Susie
Thanks, special friend for my avi!
AW's Treasured Chocolate Birthday Lady

Susie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
hey, guys. Much appreciation from howie 'n meh. You all rock. We were so scared and thankfully the operation is over. s! Many thx.

Please check out my book on this link. Thanks.
https://www.createspace.com/4742539
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=138688
HOF link: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8514909#post8514909
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...07#post7397507
verning is the only way to travel!
*Prelicks Suze - It's the next best thing to getting Laverned*
Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #1056
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Susie's Howie and Syd's dad.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #1057
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
AC, not sure if this is a problem with AW or what, but I just got a message on my computer while surfing AW and doing nothing else.

It was one of those, "This file by such-and-such company wants to make changes to your computer."

I'd never heard of the company, so I said no, but then I got a little balloon in the bottom-right taskbar bit saying there was a new Java update. So it might've been that... But it wasn't a company I had heard of.

So yeah, I thought I'd give you a heads up, in case it's some sort of malware or something on AW.

(I noticed it when I was in the You Took The Words thread, but it may have shown up earlier... On my Win7 laptop, half the time I'll just get a little icon at the bottom of the screen that flashes at me until I click it, leading to the "Install yes/no" thing.)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #1058
alleycat
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We're having an issue with something here at the moment (see Tech Help), but I don't think what you are experiencing is related.

Have you check for malware on your end?

I've made a note of your problem with the administrators.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 AM   #1059
SWest
I don't think that's accurate...

SWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSWest is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Yeah we need a group hug and lots of chocolate.

Wish Me Away

Ours is characteristically the kind of if-it-isn't-this-it-has-to-be-that, dichotomized, either/or thinking that philosophers from earlier times have cautioned can lead to a simplistic misreading of reality. And, indeed, psychologists today have discovered it is the mark of a lower or less psychologically evolved stage of cognitive and emotional development. - Riane Eisler
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #1060
kenthepen
practical experience, FTW

kenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((((((((((Syd/Susie/Evvybody))))))))))

I've got chocolate kisses on top of the fridge(don't tell Taz).

Severe allergic reaction to the slightest traces of reality

Kenneth Folta available on Smashwords
Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #1061
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Our cupboard is loaded up with dark and milk chocolate to make cakes, brownies, hot chocolate, truffles, and Valentine's Day candies. All are virtually welcome.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #1062
Duchessmary
Where I want to be

Duchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh no, Syd. We can't have this. ((hugs)))) best wishes for your father's recovery, and condolences on the death of one of your regulars.

AC, count me in on those who think your friend's request is tacky. No matter how things change, the more they stay the same, and being asked to fork over cash is bad taste.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #1063
Cliff Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
We're having an issue with something here at the moment (see Tech Help), but I don't think what you are experiencing is related.

Have you check for malware on your end?

I've made a note of your problem with the administrators.
I haven't checked recently, because I'm usually really careful about where I go online. May have to do a virus scan soon... It was probably just the Java update trying to install itself automatically...

I think the company name was Jacom or something... I should've written it down.

But yeah, that never usually happens. I might get a bubble pop-up on my taskbar telling me an update is available, but the programs don't try to install themselves automatically. Which is why I told it "No".
Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #1064
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Ha! This is what I get for opening my big stupid mouth. So far I found out my dad is in the hospital, not responding well to oxygen treatments after a asthma attack and one of my favorite regulars died this morning.
Oh, no. I'm so sorry. Best wishes for your dad to get better posthaste! And I'm very sorry about your favorite regular.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #1065
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Wasn't there an international alert recently to disable Java on all computers now now now?

I would be very concerned about anything mentioning Java that was not a public service message on how to disable it.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #1066
Cliff Face

There was? I never heard about that...

Hmm. May have to uninstall Java now.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #1067
Duchessmary
Where I want to be

Duchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDuchessmary is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Come to think of it, now that Cliff has mentioned it, I've been getting some weird prompt to update Java (it's already running the latest version). What the *&@!!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #1068
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Yea. Java = eek!

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ely-necessary/

Quote:
Even after Oracle fixed a serious security flaw in its Java software on Sunday, the Department of Homeland Security warned that the fix was not sufficient and urged users to disable Java on their Web browsers.

“Unless it is absolutely necessary to run Java in Web browsers, disable it,” the agency said in an updated alert on Monday. “This will help mitigate other Java vulnerabilities that may be discovered in the future.”
So anyone trying to get you to update Java IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #1069
Cliff Face

Hmm. Damn.

Well, I've uninstalled Java. I don't really use it for anything, and better safe than sorry.

Still need to do my virus scan, but I got sidetracked with editing.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #1070
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Lots of hugs and prayers, Syd.

(Hmmm.... Lots of afflictions on this thread. I hope it's not contagious.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #1071
Sydneyd
Aye, ye scurvy dog!

Sydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Very glad to be home where I can deal with this all with my slippers on. My dad is still in the hospital, but I don't think it is all that bad, or at least that is what I am telling myself. His bronchial tubes are swollen, and they are working on getting it down, and then he will be able to breathe right

Until then I will indulge in a cheesy nacho, iced frappuccino, and maybe some ice cream later on!!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #1072
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
Hmm. Damn.

Well, I've uninstalled Java. I don't really use it for anything, and better safe than sorry.

Still need to do my virus scan, but I got sidetracked with editing.
Apparently there are some trojan viruses which appeared this week pretending to be Java upgrades. There are real official Oracle upgrades too, but as far as I know the homeland security warning is still in effect. The word is still don't use Java unless it's absolutely essential.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #1073
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Sydneyd, I hope your dad will be all right.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #1074
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hugs to everyone!

Sydney, I'm sorry about your customer and I'm praying for your dad!

Also, Susie, hoping everything goes ok with Howie's recovery as well.

I'm glad the Superbowl is over. I was trying to stay away from the internet as much as possible. Gah.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #1075
alleycat
SuperModerator

Good morning, Funton Abbey.

Closed Thread